2012: 0 votes

Coaches' votes:

Tribunal record:

Link

Height: 184cm
Weight: 71kg
DOB: 13/02/91
Recruited from: North Adelaide (SA)
Bio: Dashing midfielder/wingman who has the ability to break a game open with his run. Smart player with good awareness through traffic, has quick hands and sound endurance. SA U18 representative in 2009.

In his own words
What type of player are you?

Outside receiver with a good work-rate and can hit a target under pressure
Which AFL player do you feel you resemble, and why?
Nathan van Berlo, because he has similar traits in which he is able to hit targets under pressure.
What are your strengths as a footballer?
Skilful on both sides, high GPS results compared to other players in the senior team, quick hands.
What parts of your game would you like to improve?
Pack marking, consistency
Which AFL team do you support and how did you come to barrack for them?
Collingwood. First AFL game at the MCG. Saw Collingwood v Carlton and have supported them since.
Who has been the biggest influence on your career so far, and why?
Craig Brooks and Mark O'Brien because they have coached me through my teenage years, which were my development years.

obrien.jpg

Graham Hadley

“Jesse O’Brien is more of an outside winger and a little bit lightly framed at this stagebut we think that with a development program he’ll be a terrific outside mid for us.”

obrien2.jpg

Link

"I LOVE Fev and Vossy used to be one of my favourite players’’. North Adelaide’s Jesse O’Brien summed up how happy he was to be heading to Brisbane in one sentence tonight. He’s a big fan of new Brisbane forward Brendan Fevola and has been in awe of coach Michael Voss’ stellar career. The 18-year-old wingman was drafted by the Lions with Pick No.73 in the National Draft. ``I’m ecstatic, over the moon,’’ he said. ``I’m a bit speechless really. ``I thought if I was going to go it would be late, or probably the rookie draft. ``Clubs didn’t give us a clear indication of what to expect so I’m over the moon.’’
O’Brien, who played two League games for North Adelaide this year, said he couldn’t believe it when his name popped up on the TV screen. ``I said `is that me or not?’.’’ Jesse’s dad, Mark, said he was just as happy as his son. ``These sort of opportunities don’t pop up very often at all,’’ Mark said. ``So it’s an exceptional opportunity.’’
``It’s a great club and at the end of the day, any opportunity you can get into the realms of the AFL is great.’’

My take on O'Brien from my mock.

Jesse O’Brien (North Adelaide, SA)
Height: 184, Weight: 71, DOB: 13/02/91

Was eligible last year and despite a bit of late interest ended up being overlooked. This year he again he started pretty slow before improving later in the year and even playing a couple of senior games. I am not sure to what extent playing for Rostrevor College interrupted his year. At this stage of the draft teams are looking to either plug holes or for guys who stand out in come respect and O’Brien has that bit of X factor about him that makes him stand out from the crowd. He is an outside player who can pick the ball up, break the lines and open a game up with his carry. He is not the quickest guy in the world but he uses what he has well. His kicking is good off either foot and he takes good options. He is not flustered when pressured and takes the time needed to hit the right man at the right time. Capable of winning his own ball although that is not a big part of his game at the moment. He seems to work well in traffic with quick hands and that is important if he is going to step it up to the next level where even outside players are expected to get their hands dirty. He sneaks forward well and is a goal kicker from the midfield which again is something that teams like to see. He was selected for SA this year but only played one game and he was not hugely impressive gaining only 12 disposals. He does tend to fade out of games a bit and needs to focus on staying involved in games even when things are not falling his way. He prides himself on his endurance and running ability but it was interesting that he did not test particularly well in that regard at State Screening. His pace and agility were also below average but his jumps were very good. He is not really a marking target at the moment and being very light tends to get buffeted around a bit in contested situations. With some time in the gym in a full time AFL environment though this could change. He is currently training with Port as one of the plethora of players they invite each year. This does not usually mean a whole hell of a lot.

From Inside Football -

JESSE O'BRIEN - North Adelaide, SA
DOB: 13/2/91 Ht: 184cm Wt: 72kg
"Jessie played for SA this year and had some interest late last year from AFL clubs so this is his second shot at it. Showed some really good signs in our reserves this year and ended up playing two games of senior footy. Plays on a wing, is evasive and has a bit of flair about the way he plays. I know he has interviewed with a lot of AFL clubs of late and he's a really good kid. Has got some x-factor about him." - North Adelaide football manager James Moore.

Going by Quig's description, he'll need to improve his endurance and pace to become the player he'd like to be.

Still, there's a bit to like. The ability to kick off both feet and still dispose properly when under pressure - not everyone can do that.

Link

G'daaay, young fella

FINALLY making it to the big time of the AFL is always a big thrill for a footy hopeful but it's fair to say it didn't quite sink in for South Australia's Brisbane Lions recruit Jess O'Brien, taken by the Lions as pick No. 73, until he got a couple of unexpected calls from Brisbane at the weekend. The first was a text message from Brisbane's highest-profile recruit, Brendan Fevola, and the others from a host of Lions, including Michael Voss and Jonathan Brown. Said O'Brien of his new skipper: ''You could tell it was Brown straight away with that voice. He said he was looking forward to taking me down to the club.''

Link

O'brien was one of thirteen people on Port's permission to train list in 2008.

Link

A lightly built midfielder with plenty of dash. He is known to be an intelligent player with quick hands. Look for him to take off when the ball is released from the pack. He's two-sided and prides himself on being able to spot up targets under pressure.

Link

Brisbane had interviewed Jessie on many occasions in the past fortnight, but many had the view he would be selected with their Rookie Picks. Jessie has some real tricks and we will look on with great interest as to his development in the AFL system. Jessie showed signs of his talent with two good displays in our League side late in the season which really put his name forward in the minds of the Recruiters.

obrien.jpg

The first year players tend to stand out with their light frames, but O'Brien looks skinny even compared to the other first year players (except Yoshi).

obrien.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NAB Cup Round 1 vs Bulldogs

O'Brien's debut game in Lions colours

obrieno.jpg

Bulldog Tim Callan is tackled by Jesse O'Brien of the Brisbane Lions during Sunday's NAB Cup clash in Canberra

Voss

“There were a couple of times when young Jesse O'Brien just needed to keep his eyes on the ball - and he did. He also fought his way through traffic well. You look for all those small signs in players,” he said.

I've been quietly impresed with JOB in his two games so far, he has found a way to contribute to the team (kicking goals always helps), can't really ask for me from a first year player.

Brown

Then there’s Jesse O’Brien, who looks quite polished and I think he’ll be a terrific footballer for us. But his main problem at the moment is putting enough weight on to cope with playing senior footy.

Sherman

One of the standouts for me so far has been Jesse O’Brien. He played in our first two pre-season practice matches and has shown that he has great foot skills on both sides of his body.

AFLQ

vs Redland

McRae was particularly taken with the performance of young draftee Jesse O’Brien.

“Jesse had his best game for the club,” he said. “He led the team in tackles (7), kicked a couple of goals and did all that we asked. He broke the lines and carried the footy.”

brien1.jpg

Yeah thought Jesse showed some good signs.

He has great disposal, so he stands out like a sore thumb.

Surely he would have to come into Voss' thinking soon. We are persisting with Redden off a HFF who is a natural mid, yet we have this kid who looked born to play the role. Is it too early for him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back