News Jimmy Toumpas signs with Swan Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

I like how people are using hindsight to judge how we viewed polec at the time, rather than how we actually viewed polec when news broke that he was coming back to adelaide.

It was all "flakey soft injury prone kid, can kick though. Maybe a late pick but nothing more."

Now its all "polec had elite skills and was quick. There was never any doubt he would be a good get."

Pls. Trades like these are brilliant picks for potential ratio.

Yeah this is pretty much spot on. I think everyone had their doubts, even those who were keen to get him.

But then Trollec came to the fore and everyone got on board. What a masterpiece that was.

Highly rated youngster for Woodville-West Torrens.
Top 5 in draft.
Signed 1 year extension in 1st year.
3 poor seasons.
Injury riddled.
Wants to return home.
Destination Port.

Tell me more how they're different circumstances.
Because of hindsightus maximus.

My issue with the Toumpas and Polec comparisons is with their respective mentalities. As immature as he was at the Lions, Polec had a bit of spark or arrogance to him that at least showed he thought he belonged on an AFL football field. I have never seen anything resembling that from Toumpas at Melbourne.

To be incredibly simplistic and to put it in the terminology a ****campaigner would use - Toumpas just looks 'beta'. This board has spent the entire season moping about our lack of physical aggression and passive mentality, well how exactly is this a move in the right direction? Yes, he looked pretty special playing with nothing to lose as a young, unencumbered free spirit in a strong SANFL senior side. But has he ever shown anything remotely resembling leadership or an unwillingness to accept the status quo since? Obviously he's been in arguably the worst possible environment for his development football wise, but I just cannot see what he brings to the table that will take us closer to the ultimate goal.

If we don't pay too much, or at least get good value from the deal, then I think if you play to his strengths - the pure outside mid - then you can have a different look to throw around contests. At least you'll know he'll always be on the outside to clear the ball, and I reckon you could teach him to be a good half back flanker who joins in through the middle to give him an extra string to his bow. As long as he's not afraid to go in when he has to, like Polec, I can see him turning into a bit of a weapon. Not everyone has to be 'the guy' as I've said before - to be a successful team you need the 'other guys' as well - the players who have their role and perform it to an acceptable level.

The talk of toumpas in the same breath as Polec is ridiculous.
The difference will show when the deal is done - second round pick at best.
Once Toumpas is with Port I will back him all the way but I question whether he has an AFL mindset = tough enough.

Last years prelim there was one player who stood out in that last quarter in terms of his lack of desperation - Polec. I mentioned this at least twice to people I was with and they agreed. It was like he hadn't done the hard yards yet so it didn't mean enough.

So Id like to see Polec back on the field first and then a tougher, more desperate Polec

Dimmy Toumpas can be a role playing outside mid that could play 120+ AFL games.
Will not be elite, but as Hawks showed, you have people do a specific job and amazing how results fall your way. Bit like Port under Jack - Northeast, Mahney, Settre, Eckerman, Curtis - they weren't stars but we won flags with them.

I have started watching the round 11 Melb st Kilda game to see how Toumpas fares given its his highest disposal game. halfway through first quarter. Toumpas so far is a seagull. Toumpas has twice hanballed to player under pressure with one costing a goal. Will fit in a port as he kicks to a one on three contest (against). Does do the one percenters and appears to do the link man job. Inside to Toumpas to distribute out.

Last years prelim there was one player who stood out in that last quarter in terms of his lack of desperation - Polec. I mentioned this at least twice to people I was with and they agreed. It was like he hadn't done the hard yards yet so it didn't mean enough.

So Id like to see Polec back on the field first and then a tougher, more desperate Polec
Way too harsh rogerJ - Polec was probably spent late in the prelim. - against freo in the semi he was terrific with his endeavour +

Thing with polec was there was a highlight reel of his time in Brisbane floating around on YouTube that showed he was class. Can't find anything near that from toump around the traps

To half time, does not really like to use his body, but did get into three contests with one good tackle. Seemed to be minding a player, whoever number 11 for the Saints is. Sharks a goal (first of two for the game). Different player to Polec. Nowhere near the same pace (from what I can tell), nowhere near as explosive off the mark, but does get to contests... bit one paced I suppose. Anyway, the game is too boring to continue even if he gets nine disposals in the third.. FF to second goal. Reads the play in advance, makes space and gets ball receive to goal. Smart play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thing with polec was there was a highlight reel of his time in Brisbane floating around on YouTube that showed he was class. Can't find anything near that from toump around the traps

Why compare - two different individuals

Polec is class we've seen him play a season for port

Toumpas we really don't know

Looking at Toumpas' stats from the games he has played it has surprised me a bit. I have always been under the impression that he has really struggled at AFL level and found it hard to get near the ball but he seems to quite regularly be able to find the ball with possession counts in the high teens, low 20s on a regular basis. Considering the issues there has been at melbourne and being a young player i defiantly would like him running through our midfield and could see him developing into a 25+ disposal mid similar to Jordan Lewis.

Posted in the list management thread but the theoretical trade put forward was
Moore to bombers
Melksham to dees
Toumpas to port

Essentially its moore for toumpas. I would do that deal.

Yep same here. Moore has had more than enough chances to prove himself. A bit like young. A fresh start would do them well. Also there's got tone some sort of good about The Toump being such a high draft pick and all.

Moore to bombers
Melksham to dees
Toumpas to port

We all would. But remember
images

He will ask for

Andrew Moore + Ports 1st +melbournes 1st + Jesse Hogan in exchange for Jake Melksham

Moore to bombers
Melksham to dees
Toumpas to port

Get that knowledge that he was a pick 4 out of your head and it's fair deal for all. Jimmy has greater upside than Moore, but I'm not sure he will be any better. Moore is stagnating here and should try his luck elsewhere

Dimmy Toumpas can be a role playing outside mid that could play 120+ AFL games.
Will not be elite, but as Hawks showed, you have people do a specific job and amazing how results fall your way. Bit like Port under Jack - Northeast, Mahney, Settre, Eckerman, Curtis - they weren't stars but we won flags with them.
Yes , but those you mentioned had some or a lot of toughness about them , JVC wouldn't have picked them anyway . With Toumpas im not sure , watched him at u18/Sanfl level , talented , not what id call tough though , typical of one of Brendan Phillips's seagulling hbf or outside outside outside types .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back