News Jimmy Toumpas signs with Swan Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

As far as draft value goes, we got him for the value of pick #40 (According to F/S, Academy Valuations).

As far as i'm concerned, this is where I have him slotted as far as midfield depth.
# Name (Inside/Outside) - Age
1. Boak (I/O) - 27 Y/O
2. Gray (I/O) - 28 Y/O
3. Wines (I) - 21 Y/O
4. Ebert (I/O) - 26 Y/O
5. Hartlett (I/O) - 25 Y/O
6. Jared Polec (O) - 23 Y/O
7. Matthew White (O) - 29 Y/O
8. J Toumpas (O) - 22 Y/O
9. K Amon (O) - 20 Y/O
10. K Mitchell (O) - 26 Y/O

If we project everyone's form four years from now our midfield at the start of 2020 is going to look like this (Kicking out all the 30 Y/O's
1. Wines (I) - 25 Y/O
2. Ebert (I/O) - 29 Y/O
3. Hartlett (I/O) - 29 Y/O
4. Jared Polec (O) - 27 Y/O
5. J Toumpas (O) - 26 Y/O
6. K Amon (O) - 24 Y/O

Looking at this profile, it looks like we have a lot of outside runners. I feel although Ebert and Hartlett are still a touch young, we have seen what they will provide for the rest of their careers. What this means is we'll have 1 inside mid, 2 guys who can go inside or outside (provided we don't sit Hammer on the back flank and make Ebert our main tagger). Then we have 3 outside mids, 2 of questionable pace. I believe this mix is why Ken has been strict on the "non-negotiables" with Polec and Toumpas. We need to morph these kids into complete midfielders before we are left with a massive lack of inside grunt, defensive accountability and ability to work well under pressure.

Hopefully by the start of 2020, if we develop the kids properly our midfield will look like this.
1. Wines (I) - 25 Y/O
2. Wingard (I/O) - 26 Y/O
3. Ebert (I/O) - 29 Y/O
4. Hartlett (I/O) - 29 Y/O
5. Polec (I/O) - 26 Y/O
6. J Impey (O) - 24 Y/O
7. J Toumpas (I/O) - 26 Y/O
8. K Amon - (O) - 24 Y/O

If we can nail this next year or two of development we are sitting pretty profile wise for the future.

29EssendonAlex Morgan
30EssendonMason Redman
31North MelbourneRyan Clarke
32CollingwoodBrayden Sier
33North MelbourneMitchell Hibberd
34Gold CoastJoshua Schoenfeld
35Western BulldogsMarcus Adams
36West CoastTom Cole

who has produced more than the Toump that makes our recruitment of him scream disapointing? Sure Marcus Adams has been good, but with Clurey, Austin, Carlile, Hombsh, Trengove and the pseudo talls Stewart and O'Shea, we weren't taking a KPD

How about you get my post right? I am not saying I am disappointed we recruited Jimmy I am saying it is disappointing that he cannot get a regular game at AFL level. If you, and few others look back over this thread you will see that I was pretty pleased when we recruited Toumpas and that was in the face of some stiff criticism from others.

Just to piggy-back this one, I'd say that we still would have gone with Bonner if we had pick 29 or pick 32. So the comparing of other similarly drafted players is a moot point.

Didn't realise that Jimmy was only 22. He's got plenty of time on his side and even if he spends the rest of this year racking up 30's in the Maggies it will just set up for a better look in 2017. He's definitely a player to keep persisting with.

This. We apparently rated Bonner as the 11th best player in the draft, I'm very confident that we would have taken him anyway had we not traded for Toumpas. So essentially its Toumpas for a late third rounder. Toump has certainly played more games this year and shown better form in the twos since losing his spot than a draftee late third rounder would have played.
Two of my Crow supporting mates were hoping & expecting to get Bonner at the pick they selected Doedee with so i'd say we did pretty well to get him at 31 whilst picking Toump up for practically nothing.

I'm tipping both lads having a solid future here at the club, I can see that as being one of our better long term trade & draft wins in recent times in terms of what we gave up.

How about you get my post right? I am not saying I am disappointed we recruited Jimmy I am saying it is disappointing that he cannot get a regular game at AFL level. If you, and few others look back over this thread you will see that I was pretty pleased when we recruited Toumpas and that was in the face of some stiff criticism from others.
how about you take a deep breath, your last few posts read like you're disapointed we took him. Compare him to what has been taken around that selection, don't see him as a 23 year old

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back