Games & Recreation JK Rowling The Sexual Deviant - The Harry Potter Discussion thread (SPOILERS)

Remove this Banner Ad

That may be so, but the abomination of the ending of part 2 taints both versions to me.
Oh yeah, Hallows part 2 was pure garbage.

It's a shame because book 7 was my favourite.

Eventually I'll watch all 10 films. Only saw up the 4th which must've been the last before the final book. No chance I'll re-read the book series.

Interesting action to take considering King was an early promoter of her books including all 3 published novels in his favourite recently read books in his memoir On Writing.

I dont really like the comparison between the book and films. The books have the opportunity to delve into alot of the details and backstory, the films dont have that luxury. Whilst i wouldnt say the movies are a faithful retelling i think they are a fantastic version of the film medium and most of the cuts make sense for the film making process.

Does anyone else think rigging the Tri Wizard tournament in the fourth book to get Harry to the graveyard was completely unnecessary?

I re-watched Goblet of Fire today and I think its crazy that Moody (under the guise of Crouch jr) rigged the tournament when he could have easily just gone into Harry's dorm and turned one of his personal objects into a warp?

The last time I read the book was in the early 2000s, so perhaps the movie missed something that was in the book, but its surreal to me.

When the Weasley twins were using the Marauders map, they never thought to question why Ron was sleeping with a man named Peter every night?
They're a very tolerant family, probably just accepted it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone else think rigging the Tri Wizard tournament in the fourth book to get Harry to the graveyard was completely unnecessary?

I re-watched Goblet of Fire today and I think its crazy that Moody (under the guise of Crouch jr) rigged the tournament when he could have easily just gone into Harry's dorm and turned one of his personal objects into a warp?

The last time I read the book was in the early 2000s, so perhaps the movie missed something that was in the book, but its surreal to me.
The whole point was to go undetected. If the Triwizard plan worked voldy would've been able to return with Harry's blood ; but they also would've been able to pass his death as an accident occurring from the dangers of the tournament itself (like how the ministry tried to pass off Cederic's).
If Harry Potter suddenly disappeared one-day questions would've been asked.

I also think (head-cannon) that fake moody couldn't make a portkey work in the Hogwarts grounds but he was able to piggy-back of the one Dumbledore made (that's why harry returned to the maze entrance after touching the cup again)

I also think (head-cannon) that fake moody couldn't make a portkey work in the Hogwarts grounds but he was able to piggy-back of the one Dumbledore made (that's why harry returned to the maze entrance after touching the cup again)

I don't think there was anything said about portkeys in the books. I know it was impossible (except for Dumbledore) for anyone to apparate or disappparate on the Hogwarts grounds. Since it seems like you could use the floo network inside the castle since Harry and Sirius used it in Goblet of Fire, I would be interested to see whether portkeys fall under the same category of travel or whether they would be restricted.

I don't think there was anything said about portkeys in the books. I know it was impossible (except for Dumbledore) for anyone to apparate or disappparate on the Hogwarts grounds. Since it seems like you could use the floo network inside the castle since Harry and Sirius used it in Goblet of Fire, I would be interested to see whether portkeys fall under the same category of travel or whether they would be restricted.
Isnt floo network only for communication rather than full transport?

Isnt floo network only for communication rather than full transport?

Do you mean in general or at Hogwarts? In general, it is used for full transport. At Hogwarts, I don't think it has ever been specified.

When the Weasley twins were using the Marauders map, they never thought to question why Ron was sleeping with a man named Peter every night?

Peter helped create the map, they made sure to hide their names when in animal form.

Pretty sure it was impossible for Dumbledore to apparate inside Hogwarts as well. I remember being very annoyed the first time I watched the 6th film when they apparated to the cave, as the book has them going on brooms to Hogsmeade to apparate, which is when Madam Rosmerta (under the imperius curse) alerts the death eaters.

Pretty sure it was impossible for Dumbledore to apparate inside Hogwarts as well. I remember being very annoyed the first time I watched the 6th film when they apparated to the cave, as the book has them going on brooms to Hogsmeade to apparate, which is when Madam Rosmerta (under the imperius curse) alerts the death eaters.

Was it? I could have sworn he said to Harry something along the lines of "being headmaster has its privileges" or something to that effect. Unless I am confusing the books and film. It has been years since I have read them.

Was it? I could have sworn he said to Harry something along the lines of "being headmaster has its privileges" or something to that effect. Unless I am confusing the books and film. It has been years since I have read them.
Yep that's a line from the film. Definitely different in the books and made me rage a great deal.

BUMP!

I don't know if any of you have ever played Werewolf on BigFooty before (or the real life version of it or similar games like Mafia or Town Of Salem), but if you haven't, Itsmyshow is starting up a new game this week that will be Harry Potter themed. Every player will have a role based on someone in the Harry Potter.

The concept of the game is pretty simple - there are two evil factions and a team of good players, each trying to get rid of all the other factions. Each day in the game thread, everyone (both evil factions and all the good players) discuss who's acting suspicious and then votes for who they want to "lynch" that day. Where it gets a bit more complicated is overnight, as the evil factions and some good players have actions they can perform privately that don't get revealed until the next morning (e.g. killing another player, protecting someone or finding out someone's role etc). Over the course of a few days, the numbers dwindle until one of the teams win the game by taking out everyone from the other factions.

It's addictive fun and we're always looking for new players to join. So if you're at all interested, just reply to the below thread with "In" and Itsmyshow will add you to the list of players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back