Joe Hockey, asset or liability?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently he is just speaking the 'facts', so I look forward to reading those. I see a lot of rich people in Sydney who never seem to leave their beachside suburbs. One talkback caller pointed out homeless people don't have cars. So apparently you are only 'poor' if you are homeless.

The Northern Beaches in Sydney where much of the Liberal leadership are from might be what Hockey is thinking of. They refuse a train-line out there since they don't want riff-raff arriving with ease and drive everywhere. That could also explain Abbott's odd idea of only building roads, not rail.

Based on Treasury figures 2009-2010 (very recent)
Rich people will pay at least three times more but may be earning 10 times more.
If that is the case let's build more roads, to help the rich, forget about public transport that may help the poor.
Oh, let us not forget at least he does recognise that there is a 'poor', at last he acknowledge this at least.

hqdefault.jpg

I'd like to see a reporter quiz Barnaby Joyce on the "poor people don't drive cars."

I doubt country people would like the proposed change to excise, but if nothing else, it would be nice to hear their representative voice speak up within the Coalition.

I'd like to see a reporter quiz Barnaby Joyce on the "poor people don't drive cars."

I doubt country people would like the proposed change to excise, but if nothing else, it would be nice to hear their representative voice speak up within the Coalition.
Tractors, Quad Bikes, Dirt Bikes, Harvesters, Utes ect aren't cars! ;)

Poor people drive cars ... after they steal them!

In all seriousness Joe has a point. The fuel excise is not going to hit the poor as hard as it will the middle class as they drive less km.

Also let's not forget the hypocritical stance of 'The Greens' on all this.

In all seriousness Joe has a point. The fuel excise is not going to hit the poor as hard as it will the middle class as they drive less km.

In absolute terms sure the rich may pay more but as a percentage of their disposable income they aren't.

Also a higher percentage of trips the poor would take would be unavoidable.

Not to mention that it increases the costs of everything and the poor have less left over funds to cover the increases.

Based on Treasury figures 2009-2010 (very recent)
Rich people will pay at least three times more but may be earning 10 times more.
If that is the case let's build more roads, to help the rich, forget about public transport that may help the poor.
Oh, let us not forget at least he does recognise that there is a 'poor', at last he acknowledge this at least.

Also how much of it is tax deductible against the business & family trust etc

Doesn't involve western Sydney, It doesn't get reported, move on

No Joe does not have a point, or at least a point that makes sense. Can we tie the work for the dole into this? Let's continue to raise the cost of living for people with no jobs and no support income assistance but have an old piece of s**t to try and get them to the 40 odd interviews they have to do a week, you can't index this cost.

I agree it will hit the middle class more, especially those working in the city but live 20+ Km away.....this government is actually better at losing support than the previous gov, I can admit I did not see that coming.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What impact has the loss of Sinodinos had on the budget? Would a little bit of political astuteness meant that some of the more extreme measures outlined may have been canned, would the selling of the whole budget have been better? It's something that hasn't been spoken of much, there is no doubting his ability and a cool head could well have come in very handy at times.

Joe Hockey is an asset however you look at him.

From an LNP point of view his well-argued case for the fuel tax - that it won't affect the poor because they don't have cars, or if they do they don't drive far" has completely distracted everyone from last week's Erica B effort - women who have abortions get cancer. And, as advocacy it isn't nearly as negatively persuasive as Brandis saying "People have the right to be bigots". So if the LNP didn't have Joe they would be the poorer for it.

From the ALP point of view Joe is an asset that just keeps giving. What treasurer can be taken seriously when he dances before delivering his first, austere budget to a mindless song "The best day of my life" and is then caught smokin on a big "FU" cigar as if to say "suck on it" to the entire Nation? And now this. Next Joe will be arguing for a tax on bread on the basis that the poor can eat cake.

Next Joe will be arguing for a tax on bread on the basis that the poor can eat cake.
I can see it now.

"Women generally aren't the bread-winner"
- Christopher Pyne, feminist

Joe Hockey is an asset however you look at him.

From an LNP point of view his well-argued case for the fuel tax - that it won't affect the poor because they don't have cars, or if they do they don't drive far" has completely distracted everyone from last week's Erica B effort - women who have abortions get cancer. And, as advocacy it isn't nearly as negatively persuasive as Brandis saying "People have the right to be bigots". So if the LNP didn't have Joe they would be the poorer for it.

From the ALP point of view Joe is an asset that just keeps giving. What treasurer can be taken seriously when he dances before delivering his first, austere budget to a mindless song "The best day of my life" and is then caught smokin on a big "FU" cigar as if to say "suck on it" to the entire Nation? And now this. Next Joe will be arguing for a tax on bread on the basis that the poor can eat cake.

Im staggers how on a daily basis they represent pure crap as "facts" but go the total opposite way where climate science is concerned

"Facts of convenience"

Btw Joe old chap, doncha know the poor live further away from their jobs because of housing affordability ?

Haear that ? Its the silent sound of the mortgage belt turning, as the libs replace a carbon tax with....a petrol tax

But its petrol, not carbon. Insnt it ? Is that a fact ?

I'm starting to think Tony might actually be one of the more intelligent members of the govt. That's a very scary thought.
You might actually be able to find more intelligent individuals at your local Centrelink(which is where some of these morons should be).
I knew once these clowns got in they'd make Liberalism unelectable for 2 decades.
ICAC and Campbell Newman are just the icing on the cake.
I see the FB is at it again. The inconsistency & arrogance in his/the Governments message is palpable. Poor people do have to drive cars so Fuel excise will affect them. Further more, if the Government are telling the unemployed that they may need to travel to get work, of course a rise in the price of fuel WILL affect them.
Large parts of this country actually have very little, if any Public Transport. This Government have touted their road building programs in Melbourne & Sydney BUT SFA for public transport ANYWHERE.
What world does this ignorant/arrogant pig inhabit?
He is a complete FW:mad:
Public transport?
We can't afford it. There's a budget emergency you know.

Can't wait to see how the Terrorgraph handle this tomorrow

" SUCK IT UP "
"Dole bludgers whinge over " perceived " insult "

Geez the Fuhrer will be FILTHY.
Claws back a quarter of a point visiting the troops and then Humphrey B Bear opens his gob.
Just found some EXCLUSIVE footage of Tone's arrival back at Mascot.....

onejob.gif

Geez the Fuhrer will be FILTHY.
Claws back a quarter of a point visiting the troops and then Humphrey B Bear opens his gob.
I think the complaints within the Libs are that Abbott had left the country again* while they have to try and sell the budget...

*I'm yet to see the Murdochs reporting on this OS travel like they did with Rudd and Gillard...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back