Past Jonathan Brown #1 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Jonathan Brown #2

The look of elation on Fevs face at that marking contest was priceless. Applauded Brown & got in his opponents way & basically said 'Oi sod off, that's my captain and you don't touch him'.

Hes really apart of the team now hey, I think he was overawed at Browns effort, he had the best "seat" for it haha

GO BROWN :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Re: Jared Brennan

Brown will hit the veteran's list and a slight pay drop to the premiership-hungry big man to keep the list together will free up some salary space.

It's hard to say, we may have already milked Browny's veteran's list situation by backending other contracts.

There may be a little bit of cash freed up considering that we had a contract ready for Bradshaw that he didn't end up signing. Hopefully we can use some of that to ward off the poachers.

i would say Brown's contract woudl still be fairly back ended with the view of having him on the vet list after Blacky is gone, hence having more of his contract come under the vets list. I think this along with Blacky gone will help free up a bit of cash. We have also cut a lot of players, even though many were rookies, there were a few like Hooper who were on more money than they should have been.

I think most of the boys will be pretty happy to stick around, and i think we will be able to pay them well enough.

Not many, if any, forwards can drag their team across the line when the midfield is getting so badly beaten. Simply awesome.:heart:

JB16 needs to take a paycut I think.

Vossy and the Scott Bros did it late in their careers for the good of the team... it may need to be done again.

Give Browny a pay rise. :eek:

Jonathan Brown's seven goals steals show
  • Jon Ralph
  • April 02, 2010 1:18AM
BRENDAN Fevola may be renting the goalsquare, but Jonathan Brown owns the Gabba.

On an occasion meant to be Fevola's real welcome party at Brisbane, Brown instead dialled up one of past decade's most dominant performances.

There were seven goals in all. Seven individual acts of brilliance. And perhaps the most obvious three-vote performance in recent seasons.

brownu.gif

Appreciation Thread

Link

Lions coach Michael Voss lavished praise on the inspirational Brown while Carlton counterpart labelled him the "difference between the two teams". "He was amazing," Voss said.
"In the third quarter when we were struggling for legs he just lifted his intensity in that five-minute patch.
"It takes a real leader to drag up the rest of the team.
"It didn't look like we had a lot of run and he came to the fore."

Link

The combination of Fevola and Brown has been variously billed as the best forward line in the history of the game or a disaster waiting to swallow up the club. Last week, with Brown kicking true for five, the pecking order prior to Daniel Bradshaw's departure was retained. Against Carlton, it was chiseled in stone.

Brown and Fevola were not only finding their own space but feeding off each other. Brown's deft chip to his new wingman after 20 minutes, with Fevola repaying the assist with his second goal, should have put to rest any thoughts this town ain't big enough for two gunslingers.

Link

"He's a freak," Fevola told Channel 7. "Browny's a champion, you just have to get out of his way. "He kicked seven and I got three, I'm happy with that."

Link

Blues coach Brett Ratten said the late withdrawal of defender Paul Bower with a leg injury threw his plans into disarray.

"That was a match up we earmarked early in the season that we would go with Bower on Brown but it never eventuated," he said.

"I thought Thornton tried hard but just a really good player in great form at the moment and kicking the ball extremely well from 55, 60 out and hitting the scoreboard.

"He was in great form last week and we thought he could be the game breaker for them and as it turned out he was the difference between the two teams."

Link

It was a superhuman effort from a player who seems to have fallen in calculations in the age of Gary Ablett and Joel Selwood. This was a reminder that Jonathan Brown is truly one of the great centre-half forwards. His game was up there with many of the best efforts of Wayne Carey or Dermott Brereton.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

It was the perfect script. Brisbane on the ropes against Carlton at the Gabba, game on the line and the Blues full of running. Up steps the superstar forward to save the day with a burst of brilliance that almost defies description. Yes, Jonathan Brown is just that good.

With Brisbane trailing by seven going into the final term, Brown was immense. The champion forward was in the rarest of form, booting three goals in the last term to finish the night with 7.1. He simply refused to lose. With the big skipper parting the seas, the Lions waded in to make it two-from-two with a 16.11.107 to 12.16.88 victory.

brown24.jpg

Star turn provokes comparison of the super forward

• Mark Robinson
  • April 02, 2010 10:30PM
Glenn Archer yesterday described Brown's last quarter as vintage "Duck". "Every time I watch Brownie he reminds me of the Duck," Archer said. "He hasn't reached the heights of Duck just yet, but, gee, he's not too far off him is he?"

Malcolm Blight's adulation for Carey and Brown is boundless, but he argues Carey was at his zenith for longer than Brown. "In the end they both may be eight-year players at the highest level. So give Jonathan another two or three years. Because we've seen Carey play his whole career, he's probably played two or three better seasons than Jonathan Brown at this stage, but if the other bloke stays fit he's capable of catching him."

brown19.jpg

Link

WHEN the colossus in No. 16 for the Brisbane Lions is in full flight, we drool over him, salute him, exalt him. There is a lot of love for Jonathan Brown. When No. 16 at Port Adelaide used to impose himself upon games in similar fashion, we grudgingly acknowledged him, mocked his kicking for goal, chided him for his nerdy celebrations of his own exploits. Funny how personality can colour performance. Brown is a great of the game. No question. You don't earn comparisons with Wayne Carey on a whim. Yet, Warren Tredrea is a great in his own right.

Link

On Thursday, the Carlton defence, conscious of their old mate, Fevola, were keen to stay back and Brown was able hunt the footy on the 50m arc. And, unlike the injury-ravaged years of 2005-07, from outside 50m the Lion king is now deadly."Having the hip operation in October I have just found my range is better this year," he said. "I've been able to push a few more metres up the ground and still be within scoring distance."

Link

Superstar captain Nick Riewoldt underlined claims to sit alongside Jonathan Brown and Wayne Carey in the best-ever centre half-forward debate, with a second-straight best on ground display.

Brilliant Brisbane Lions captain Jonathan Brown is new king in town

• Mike Colman
  • April 04, 2010 12:00AM
From the moment he walked out to toss the coin, Brown gave the impression of owning the ground. It was like he was allowing all the other players - including his own - to share it with him, but no one was going to upstage him. Not even come close. It was one of those rare performances that you feel privileged to be watching.

I remember Gorden Tallis once telling me about the time he was in the dressing room before a Test match and Wayne Bennett telling him, "Make all the kids want to be Gorden Tallis tomorrow".

That's what Jonathan Brown did on Thursday night. Every kid who walked out of the ground - and all the kids watching on television - wanted to be Jonathan Brown. And they will remember that feeling for the rest of their lives.

brown24.jpg

Brisbane Lions skipper Jonathan Brown a bolter for Brownlow Medal

• Alastair Lynch
  • April 04, 2010 12:00AM
His 2010 scoring start is an all-time best for the Bears/Lions, topping Jim Edmond's 3.8 opening back in the first season in 1987, and Daniel Bradshaw's 4.7 in 2000.

It takes me back a long way when I was playing for Fitzroy when a young Brownie used to sneak into the Fitzroy rooms with his father to see the team his dad used to play for and get autographs. Now I'm looking forward to taking my son Tom into the Lions room to get the skipper's moniker and try to convince my young bloke that I used to play with him.

I'm not expecting Brown or Fevola to kick 100 goals this season because they'll share the spoils, but if they get 170 or 180 between them it'll be a massive return.

brown14.jpg

Brown approaches the throne of King Carey
TIM LANE
April 4, 2010

Now a new conversation has begun. Jonathan Brown's name has been mentioned in the same breath as Carey's. Such has been the Brisbane giant's domination of his team's two wins this season that it has provided a reminder of the influence Carey so regularly wielded in the 1990s. And this is no sudden media fad, for Brown has been a dominant force across a decade. His is now a sufficiently established career to offer solid data for comparison.

brown17.jpg

Carey is nowhere near the man, player or leader that our Jonathan is...full stop!!

Jonathan Brown>>>>>>>>>country mile>>>>>>>>>>>> maybe Carey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back