Retired Jonathan Brown #2 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Neil Craig

"Traditionally, we've been able to use Bock and Rutten," Craig said.The Brisbane captain's record against Adelaide - 13.8 in 12 games - is his least productive in his distinguished record.
"I will be most comfortable with Ben Rutten on him, but that may not always be possible," added Craig, who does not want "The Truck" to mark Brown if the Lions' key forward continues to play at the top of the 50m arc rather than from the goalsquare.
"So, whoever gets him, we will be relying heavily on what is happening up the field."

brown153.jpg

Round 10 vs Adelaide

Brisbane Lions' skipper Jonathan Brown only finished with three behinds, but still made a contribution for the Lions with three scoring assists, six marks and 17 possessions in just his second game back from injury.

brown161.jpg

Link

And all this without Jonathan Brown becoming a major factor. Brown was well held by full back Ben Rutten, despite the defence being under siege for most of the game.

Link

FOR one day, the Brisbane Lions could reflect with satisfaction that they have cast doubt on the theory they are a one-man team.

Brisbane overwhelmed Adelaide by 40 points at AAMI Stadium, despite no goals from captain Jonathan Brown in his second game back from an eight-week layoff due to facial surgery.

Link

It might be only successive wins against fellow strugglers in the competition, North Melbourne and Adelaide, but the Lions made a huge statement as they went on the rampage. They told us they're finally moving forward, and they have some of that old magic about them once again. And it's more than a coincidence that Jonathan (sic) Brown is back.

Link

Of course it's no coincidence Brisbane's two wins have coincided with Brown's return from the serious facial injuries he sustained in the opening round.

Brown was goalless -- he missed all three of his set shots -- but gathered 17 quality possessions and was credited with three score assists. His worth is not accurately measured by the statistics, for the skipper barely wasted a disposal and cleared paths for players such as Ashley McGrath.

brown160.jpg

Michael Voss

I know Jonathan Brown didn’t show it on the scoreboard, but I thought he had a huge impact on the game. What does it mean to you to have him out there?

It means a lot. He’s our skipper, he’s our captain, he’s our most valuable player. That’s probably stating the obvious that we all know. He didn’t kick any goals today, but maybe if there’s been a benefit out of the fact that Browny hasn’t been around is that we’ve had to find goals from everyone else. We’ve had to be reliant on Browny in the past to kick winning scores, so maybe his absence over the last few weeks has let other people grow. Browny played a role for us, which is great, and he’ll do that brilliantly, as we know Jonathan Brown will do, but he also needs help.

brown159.jpg

Link to article

No Brown, no Brisbane has been a common catch-cry associated with the Lions in recent years and with good reason. Since 2005 the Lions' winning percentage is a shade over 50 percent when Brown has suited up, compared to a paltry 15 percent across the 33 matches he has missed in that time. Over the course of his 12-year, 203-game career, those numbers are 62 and 33 percent, respectively.

brown156.jpg

Brownie points
After a winless eight-game start to the season, Brisbane has prevailed in its past two. And it is absolutely no coincidence Jonathan Brown has returned to the side for those games against North Melbourne and Adelaide. There is no player in the AFL more important to his team than Brown, and that includes Ablett, Goodes, Riewoldt and anyone else you care to name. While his game last week against North was a vote-winner, the one against Adelaide yesterday was much more modest by comparison. Yet it didn't seem to matter: his mere presence is enough. Teammates walk taller in his company, and play better. A just-going Sydney, next week's opponent at the Gabba, could well be victim No.3.

brown157.jpg

Jonathon Patton

The comparisons with Brown don't unsettle the teenager, partly because he's humble but also because Brown's strength and ability to encourage and inspire the players around him are things Patton aspires to offer his teammates.

Bryce Retzlaff

"We've got a pretty good friendship. I try and hang around him like a bad smell," he said.

"He's probably one of the greatest centre half-forwards of all time so any time I get to spend with him is like gold. He's really good to me as well. He takes a lot of time out to help me."

"So I'm pretty fortunate because he does spend a lot of time with me, so I'm just trying to learn as much off him as I can."

"He's so good because he trains harder than everybody else and that's one of the biggest things I've learnt from him," Retzlaff said.

"He just goes above and beyond everybody else and sets a new standard in terms of how hard you train. He's got faults in his game as well, he's not perfect, and he keeps working on them as well. The way he attacks his training is pretty amazing really."

brown152.jpg

Link to article

The Lions have been given a new lease of life since the return of inspirational captain Jonathan Brown two weeks ago. Against North Melbourne at home two games ago, Brisbane's narrow win was a matter of will rather than skill. But last week's 40-point belting of Adelaide on the road was different - a team finding its confidence and enjoying a new purpose. Without kicking a goal, Brown's influence on the previously moribund Lions forward line was extraordinary.

brown155.jpg

Link to article

On the flip side of the equation for the Brisbane Lions, they have their skipper back and have won both games since. Last week's win over Adelaide provided a statistical oddity, being the first game since round 15, 2005 the Lions managed to win without Jonathan Brown kicking a goal. Not since Wayne Carey was running around doing as he pleased has one man been so important to his side's fortunes. Up against a scrappy Sydney outfit this week, don't discount the possibility of the Lions winning their third straight game and causing a few more upsets as the season progresses.

brown153.jpg

Michael Voss

It's all got to do a little bit with Browny's attitude towards that too. If he's always putting himself forward as the key post and we have to go through him all the time, well then we're going to always go through him. Whereas if he's prepared to be able to let others have that mantle from time to time his job will become so much easier. I think that's been Browny's attitude since he's come back. He wants to share that work load across the forward line so others players are going to have opportunities.

brown161.jpg

Jonathan Brown is not just the toughest man in the AFL he's also the nicest
  • Todd Balym
  • June 04, 2011 12:00AM
He's a man's man. An old-school footballer dominating in a modern era. No designer hairstyle, artsy tattoo or manufactured facade. Just 195cm and 104kg of pure athleticism and a genuine down-to-earth personality.

"He is a bit like the Pied Piper: wherever he is he will draw a crowd because people just want to gravitate to him," said AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou. Brown is so important to the Lions that Brisbane has not won a game without him since 2006. That's 19 straight defeats without their fearless leader.

Along with Sydney's Adam Goodes he is the most marketable footballer in Australia because he is popular in a non-traditional AFL market and known nationwide. He has nine third party deals and earns more from endorsements than most AFL players receive for playing the game. Nobody understands the commercial reality of football better than Brown.

brown137.jpg

Round 11 vs Sydney

Their defence double- and triple-teamed Brisbane's matchwinning captain Jonathan Brown, which had a poisonous effect on the Lions' scoring opportunities.

brown163.jpg

Link

The Swans were good last night, no doubt, but it is truly hard to describe the level of the Lions' ineptitude. Approaching the game, it looked hard to call. The home side was running into some form, inspired by Jonathan Brown's return. There's nothing the big man can't do. But there's nothing he can do, either, if the ball doesn't get near him.

Link

The Swans also did a terrific job in limiting the impact of Lions captain Jonathan Brown. Heath Grundy had the main assignment, but Ted Richards was quick to come in as third man and spoil any chance Brown had of making an impact on the Lions' rare forays forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NRL needs to strike back in cross-code war with AFL, should sign Jonathan Brown - Mal Meninga says

• By Mal Meninga
  • The Sunday Mail (Qld)
  • June 05, 2011 11:48AM
The next person on my shopping list would be Brisbane Lions captain Jonathan Brown. In my opinion, Jonathan could make the transition to rugby league, and our game should be in a position where it could make an offer that is enticing enough for an athlete of his calibre to commit to our game.

Jonathan obviously has the size, power and speed to acquit himself well, but he is also a leader, has a fantastic attitude, and is a genuine leader of men. You only have to look at Brisbane Lions' season to realise this. Without him, they don't win a game. When he comes back, their season starts turning around.

I look at Jonathan and see an athlete with the characteristics to succeed in a number of sports, and I would personally love to see him play rugby league. He, and other pure athletes in the AFL like him, is the type of talent we should be bringing into the NRL. One day, I would like to ask him whether it is a challenge that interests him.

brown75.jpg

The case for and against Brisbane Lions' Jonathan Brown making the switch to NRL

• June 05, 2011 12:00AM
YES - AFL WRITER ANDREW HAMILTON:

Mal Meninga has noticed something I've been telling my rugby league mates for years Jonathan Brown would be a phenomenon in their game. He is big, strong, fast, brave and tireless. Imagine a second-rower with the line-breaking ability of Dave Taylor, the endurance and work ethic of Nathan Hindmarsh, the hand and foot skills of Andrew Johns and the aggression of Gorden Tallis.

NO - RUGBY LEAGUE WRITER STEVE RICKETTS:

Jonathan Brown looks big and tough, and no doubt he is. But at his age his body would not stand up to the punishment of the NRL, the wrestle and grind and the big hits. No doubt Brown's kicking would come in handy, although a league ball is harder to kick than the Sherrin. Being able to criss-cross between codes, particularly the two rugby codes, is a marvellous thing. But I would hate to see Brown's reputation diminished by a switch.

brown164.jpg

Winning a game off their own boot
Tuesday, June 07, 2011 - 6:49 AM
Source: BigPond Sport
By Michael Rogers

5. Jonathan Brown

If Judd is the AFL's most influential player in terms of a club's culture, then the Brisbane Lions skipper has the greatest impact on his team's weekly results. Just ask North Melbourne and Adelaide - who both lost to the Brown-inspired Lions - or Fremantle, which sneaked past Brisbane in round one after Luke McPharlin's knee turned Browny's face to mush. A string of injuries mean the triple premiership forward's very best football is behind him but he remains Brisbane's most dangerous player by a clear margin.

Footy superstitions

Prior to becoming captain Brisbane's Jonathan Brown had to be the last one through a banner, but that had to change when he took over the leadership. I don't think it affected his game too much.

brown154.jpg

Link to article

JENNIE Ball, mother of Collingwood premiership star Luke Ball, was a hit at yesterday's AFL women's industry luncheon. MC Nicole Livingstone asked each panellist which footballer they would like to be.
Ball responded with an enticing combination: "I'd have Chris Judd's ability, Chris Tarrant's body, the looks of the Swallow brothers, Andrew and David, and Jonathan Brown's leadership."

brown158.jpg

Link to article

It’s a dilemma most footballers would gladly take on. You've got the height and power to dominate in a key position, but the speed, stamina and agility to play on the ball too.

Several players have been blessed with these gifts in recent times. Former North Melbourne skipper Wayne Carey used to pinch-hit in the middle when his team was in trouble, while Brisbane Lions captain Jonathan Brown spent a substantial amount of time on the ball several seasons ago.

However, neither played in the midfield as regularly as Sydney Swans co-captain Adam Goodes or Fremantle skipper Matthew Pavlich.

Where Carey and Brown were most imposing in the forward 50, it's been hard to gauge where Goodes and Pavlich are best suited.

brown68.jpg

Round 12 vs Carlton

Michael Jamison completely outpointed the Lions star forward Jonathan Brown in one of the best defensive performances you will see.Jamison restricted Brown to just five possessions, two marks and a goal (that came late in the third quarter).
It was a sign of how well Jamison performed that Brown got off the leash to kick two goals in the final term.
Brown ended with three majors.

browneo.jpg

Link

During the first three quarters, Carlton defenders Michael Jamison and Bret Thornton shared the duties on Lions captain Jonathan Brown. Rotating off the interchange bench, they held Brown to only five possessions and one goal. But although he was struggling so much that he copped a Bronx cheer from the Blues fans during the third term, Brown never gave up. After Jamison was subbed off at the final change, so fellow defender Paul Bower could have a run, Brown came to life, booting two late goals to finish with three.

brownbl.jpg

Link

The Lions continually looked to Jonathan Brown up forward, but the Blues had the answers there as well. Michael Jamison was able to physically match his champion opponent while unselfish teammates ensured help was always on hand.

Having held Brown to only five disposals to three- quarter-time, Jamison was subbed off, a move the veteran Lion relished. He would boot two goals in the final term on Bret Thornton but it counted for nought.

brown165.jpg

Link

Although glittering with ball in hand, the Blues were also defensively orientated, identifying Lions skipper Jonathan Brown as the only player likely to hurt them and reacting by putting an extra man in front of him.

It wasn't until the final quarter when Blues defender Michael Jamison was subbed out of the game that Brown was able to manufacture some one-on-one contests and he booted two goals for the final term.

Link

Perhaps the AFL should issue players with league-approved sunshades for day games when the roof is rolled back at Etihad Stadium.

Lions skipper Jonathan Brown was among several players to lose the ball when looking into the sun at the southern end.

Jamison is in good form, but Browny didn't get a lot of chances, and the few he got, Jamison hardly beat him 1 on 1. Very over the top.

Spot on chopper. You should've heard the clowns sitting around me gloating about how good Jamison was. Sure he played well, but the delivery to Brown was terrible and again he had to contend with 2-3 opponents on most occassions, so if that is smashing Brown like I heard often today, then I will go he.

Browny also doesn't look like he is up to his full fitness level in terms of his speed. He maybe carrying something as per usual these days.

I thought Jamison was good and whilst I'll concede the delivery was poor, he did beat JB one on one on at least two occasions that I can remember. Pretty sure JB's not 100% but that's stock standard. I was intrigued by some of our forward set ups, I actually think they helped Carlton rather than us. Eddie & Jeffy had a field day and bloody Walker thought he was a superstar. But to be fair to the filth, they play a fast and confident brand of footy that gives the helpers every chance of getting plenty of ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back