Retired Jonathan Brown #2 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trengove gets unenviavble task
By Katrina Gill
3:00 PM Fri 01 Jul, 2011

PORT Adelaide defender Jackson Trengove will have the unenviable task of trying to stop Brisbane Lions skipper Jonathan Brown when the two teams meet at the Gabba on Sunday after full-back Alipate Carlile was ruled out of the game through injury.

Trengove will concede seven kilograms to Brown, and Primus said it would be a great challenge for the 20-year-old.

"Jackson Trengove will take him [Brown] at the start and we'll see how that goes," Primus said on Friday.

"Troy Chaplin can help him out there too if need be. It'll be another big step in the evolution of Jackson being a key back for us."

brown37.jpg

Round 15 vs Port Adelaide

Lions skipper Jonathan Brown was made to work hard for his four goals, kicking three of his majors from outside 50m.

Link

Jonathan Brown was still a shade below his best, but he kicked four important goals, and along with veteran midfielder Luke Power, who had three, he provided direction and composure for the young Lion cubs.

brown181.jpg

Link

The game developed into an arm wrestle up to half-time but Brown's two goals in the third term lit the spark.

"Crucial," Voss said of his skipper's input. "Play was a little bit against us. We were wrestling our way through it, but then Browny was able to drill through a couple. It changed the flow and it gave them a sniff and we were able to finish off the game well."

Link

Jackson Trengove took a significant step forward in his development by competing well against Lion King Brown, who booted four goals but Trengove matched it with him physically, despite giving away 7kg.

brownnm.jpg

If Browny got some of the free Schulz got he would have kicked 8-10 goals for sure. Umps just give him nothing.

This. Am so sick of watching Brown get molested by defenders and the umps applying the 'he's tough enough to wear it' clause. Blokes like Browny and Hall cop a bullshit deal from the umps more often than not because of the discrimination over their size & power. Simple fact is, they should be rewarded for effectively using their strengths as players to impose themselves on the contest. Also, just because they're big blokes doesn't mean they should have to wear cheap shots from weak pricks who can't beat them fairly.

In the first quarter when he was leading out onto the wings he looked like the JB of old. Started the game off really strongly but then seemed to tire a little bit. I would like to see him lead up onto the wings a bit more, it's harder for teams to double team him then and it clears the forward line up quite a lot. Even if hes only leading out to 60m and then turning and drilling it into other forwards. I reckon him and Acorn could work this really really well.

Link to article

Lions Captain Jonathan Brown is just one goal shy of equalling the merged Club record for most goals. Brown has kicked 495 career goals for the Lions, just behind Daniel Bradshaw’s record of 496 goals. If Brown kicks two or more goals this Saturday against Hawthorn, he will become Brisbane’s greatest ever goal-kicker and also move into fourth on the Club’s all-time goal-kicking list behind Alastair Lynch (633 goals with Fitzroy/Bears/Lions), Jack Moriarty (626 goals with Fitzroy) and Bernie Quinlan (576 goals with Fitzroy).

brown183.jpg

Joel Patfull

"He [Brown] has a few games under his belt now and he is starting to run around a bit better. During the week he is getting a bit more training into his legs and it showed on the weekend, he kicked four and looked pretty dangerous.

"The next half of the year he will only get better."

brown184.jpg

More than sport: Jonathan Brown
Jacob Gough
09 May 2011

In terms of early setbacks, I missed out on a place in the Victorian Country side at the Under 16 level. I also missed the Under 18 side the following year. These were pretty significant disappointments and, at the time, it felt like the end of the world.

My first year with Brisbane was really difficult. I was playing reserves and finding it hard to get game-time. Then I played my first game and didn’t get a kick at all. I got dropped three times during my first year. I struggled in my first eight or ten games. I found the pace of the game extraordinary and thought I may have been too slow to make it.

Luckily, toward the end of that year I had a couple of good games. Then my confidence came back and I trained hard for a really big pre-season, to get faster and stronger – as fit as a midfielder. I managed to have a huge pre-season and consequently played every game the next year.

brown180.jpg

Leigh Matthews

My dad wanted to know who’s the hardest player you’ve seen?

[Pauses] Probably Gavin Brown and Tony Shaw at Collingwood, and Michael Voss and Jonathan Brown at the Lions. The “hardness” for me is the guys who are prepared to just keep their eye on the footy and attack it so hard that their body becomes a battering ram.

55cn.jpg

Alistair Clarkson

The Hawks coach said the contest between Gibson and Lions skipper Jonathan Brown would play a large factor in deciding the outcome of the match.

"He (Brown) is still such a formidable and potent weapon for them up forward," Clarkson said.

"Josh has been our best defender throughout the course of this year and he's one of the few tall ones we've got left, so I dare say he'll play on Brown for the bulk of the day, but he's going to need some support, whether it's ruckmen dropping back or whatever.

"They probably need Brown to have a fair influence on the game to win, and we're going to be relying on Josh and others to try and limit the impact that he'll have."

brown173.jpg

Link

David Hale's awkward attempt to play the role of loose man in defence against Collingwood suggests Clarkson may need to look elsewhere for a big man to double-team Brown.

Round 16 vs Hawthorn

But two goals in two minutes from Jonathan Brown mid-way through the quarter meant the 29-year-old skipper became the club* record-holder, passing former team-mate Daniel Bradshaw's 496 goals.

* Brisbane Bears/Brisbane Lions only

Link

Brown had 23 possessions and staged what Clarkson described as a great battle with Hawks defender Josh Gibson, who finished with 24 disposals including 16 in the first half.

Link

Gibson said his task on Brown was made a bit easier by the assistance of his teammates in the back half, a fact Lions coach Michael Voss picked up after the match.

"He (Brown) is a champion," Gibson said.

"To the boys' credit, they got in his space a bit, and there was good pressure in the midfield, which makes that kick coming in a bit higher, which makes my job a little bit easier.

"So I didn't get exposed to too many wrestles with him, because he is a lot bigger than me."

Link

Clarkson said defender Josh Gibson performed a key job playing primarily against Lions skipper Jonathan Brown.

''That was a really good contest … Brown is an outstanding footballer [and] it was a great battle. He still kicked three goals and missed one right at the end [but] we thought 'Gibbo' battled really well for us and repelled a lot of Brisbane's attacks.''

Link

But the dominant Lion worked his way into the game to be Brisbane's best forward and equal-highest goalkicker on the day.

"They had lots of numbers around me and the wind was swirling around, which didn't make it easy for us forwards," Brown said.

"I just had to adjust to that and work myself into the action a bit more."

Brown breaks goals record
6:02 PM Sat 09 Jul, 2011

The 29 year-old has also moved into fourth position on the Club's all-time goal-kicking list behind Alastair Lynch (633 goals with Fitzroy, the Bears and the Lions), Jack Moriarty (626 goals with Fitzroy) and Bernie Quinlan (576 goals with Fitzroy).

He is now just two goals shy of becoming just the 49th player in VFL/AFL history to kick 500 career goals - a milestone he will be hoping to reach next Sunday when the Lions host Geelong at the Gabba.

"It's a tremendous honour and something that I will look back on at the end of my career with pride," Brown said.

brown168.jpg

Link

The hulking forward went about his business in his usual imposing manner, oblivious that his first of three goals matched Daniel Bradshaw's post-merger mark of 496.

Brown ended with three goals in a losing team, and was clearly Brisbane's best player forward of the centre. He needs only two more goals to reach the magic 500 career goals.

"I didn't even know about the record, but it's something that I can be very proud of at the end of my career," Brown said.

"Hopefully, I can add a few more on to that."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Michael Voss post match press conference

The matchup of Gibson on Brown was quite pivotal to the game. How did you see that?

He had plenty of support. Not to put down the role of Gibson but he had plenty of mates around him. But I thought the way Browny worked into the game, he (Gibson) certainly had his measure early, but I thought the way Browny played his role, what'd he kick... three I think, and did enormous work up the ground, so I thought he did alright for us. He was pretty important for us in the way the game was played out eventually.

He's now Brisbane Lions' greatest goal kicker. It's a huge achievement and some more to come hopefully?

Yeah, he's obviously an enormous leader. I could probably keep talking about Browny, I mean you guys (the media) speak about him enough. But you know he's important, and even his approach to the way he changed up his game for the betterment of the team, they're all the little things you want to see from your skipper. The goals, yes, has been a great thing but as a coach, when you have your captain that's echoing your sentiments and trying to push (to) the playing group what you're trying to achieve as a coach, and coach out on the field, it's a really important attribute to have within your leadership group. He does that and the fact that he actually gets rewards at the same time makes him the leader that he is. I played with and admired him and I coach him and admire him, so nothing will change there.

Milestone in skipper's sights
12:46 PM Thu 14 Jul, 2011

brown_kick-c.jpg

Jonathan Brown - who last week surpassed Daniel Bradshaw’s previous record of 496 goals to become the greatest goal-kicker in Brisbane Lions history - is now just two goals shy of becoming just the 49th player in VFL/AFL history to kick 500 career goals.

“Hopefully I can notch up the 500 this Sunday in front of my home crowd,” Brown said.

“I actually deliberately missed a shot in front of goals last week against Hawthorn so I could do it in front of my own home crowd,” Brown laughed. “Well, that’s my excuse anyway.”

Brown hurt in Cats loss

The win snapped a two-match losing streak but was overshadowed by Brown's horrendous third quarter incident that saw him taken off on a medicab wearing a neck brace.

The Lions' captain was running back with the flight of the ball and collided with the oncoming Harry Taylor and Mitch Clark.

He went straight to ground and did not move.

Brown was conscious and sent to hospital for scans.

brown1il.jpg

brown2k.jpg

Link

FOR A moment yesterday, during a long, long third quarter, all those strained metaphors about sport and warfare suddenly looked plausible. It was as if a bomb had just gone off in the Gabba's forward pocket. Bodies were strewn everywhere: Harry Taylor and Tom Lonergan for Geelong, Jonathan Brown and Mitch Clark for the Lions. The last two didn't get up, and that was pretty much it for what had, until then, been a ripping contest.

brown190.jpg

Link

As he has done so often in his career, Brown proved fear is not part of his DNA as he flew backwards with the flight of the ball into an oncoming pack that included big bodies Mitch Clark, Sam Lonergen and Harry Taylor.

Brown was rushed to hospital for scans during the game, which Geelong won by 29 points, but the initial prognosis from club medicos was that he had not suffered any new facial fractures.

Brown is too brave for his own good. The way Brown plays the game must have Lions fans permanently fluctuating between exhilaration and the nagging fear he is about to get seriosuly hurt.

brown1x.jpg

Link

Brown was knocked out cold by a stray arm from teammate Mitch Clark in a marking contest.

Brown's head hit the turf hard and he lay prone for several minutes as medical staff worked away on him.

He regained consciousness after being taken off the field and was taken to hospital for scans.

brownr.jpg

[YOUTUBE]10o9oR3TxUs&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

According to the Brisbane Lions on twitter initial scans are all clear.

There was a report on Fox's After the Bounce that despite the initial all clear they now fear a small fracture of the jaw - has anyone heard any news?

Scans clear Brown of serious injury
Updated July 17, 2011 19:47:29

Watching Jonathan Brown suffer another sickening head knock convinced Brisbane AFL coach Michael Voss the inspirational skipper cannot risk playing at "120 per cent" any more.
But not even Voss is game to say it to the hulking 195cm, 104kg forward's face.
The Gabba crowd hushed when Brown was knocked out cold in a four-man collision late in the third term of the Lions' loss to Geelong on Sunday.
While scans cleared Brown of fractures after the 29-point loss on Sunday, Voss admitted it was time someone reminded his 29-year-old skipper of his age.

brownvl.jpg

Brown cleared

By Michael Whiting
7:20 PM Sun 17 Jul, 2011

MICHAEL Voss said there was no hope of teaching an old Lion new tricks after Jonathan Brown's horrendous collision against Geelong on Sunday.

After seeing his captain stretchered off in the third quarter incident, the Lions' coach joked that Brown had to realise he wasn't as young as he once was.
Brown's initial x-rays cleared him of any fractures this time though

Sounds like this info may already be outdated.

Facial fractures
8:26 PM Sun 17 Jul, 2011

The Brisbane Lions AFC advises that Captain Jonathan Brown will have surgery tomorrow after scans tonight revealed a number of small facial fractures.

While initial x-rays cleared Brown, further scans taken tonight showed Brown had sustained a number of small facial fractures, following a third quarter collision in the Lions’ loss to Geelong at the Gabba.

An update will be provided tomorrow once more information becomes available.

brown191.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back