Retired Jonathan Brown #2 (1999-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Michael Whiting

JONATHAN Brown will be back training as early as Monday after successful surgery on his fractured cheekbone on Wednesday night.

Kylie Brown

Surgery went well, thank you for all your support but he has said save your comments about helmets or retiring cause it ain't happening!!

Injured Brown in 'good spirits': Voss
March 1, 2012 - 12:20PM

"He's moving around. He's in good spirits," Voss said on Thursday. "Obviously he is very disappointed. I don't think he can believe it himself as many can't believe it either.
"But after talking to Browny, his mind has already shifted toward when he can start training again ... and that looks like Monday."

Michael Voss

"I would probably say he was a bit pissed off," Voss said.

"I wouldn't cross him in the next 48 hours. But after talking to Browny, his mind has already shifted toward when he can start training again.

"You won't see Jonathan Brown quitting, that's for sure."

"It's the psychology of a champion - when you get knocked down you get back up, you keep going," Voss said.

"I think you will find the reason why he is a champion is because he doesn't look at those risks.

"But we do need to point out that it is different to what has happened previously - you just have to put it down to a bit of bad luck."

"When he walks out there members and fans should know that what has needed to be done has been done, that he can go out and play football and lead this team again," Voss said.

Brisbane Lions captain Jonathan Brown says latest facial rebuild a succes
  • by: Andrew Hamilton, Ben Dorries
  • March 02, 2012 12:00AM
JONATHAN Brown has declared his latest facial rebuild a success and says his playing future has not been affected by his run of head injuries.
Brown, the Lions skipper, returned home yesterday from his third major operation in 12 months upbeat about a return to action in round 3.
Brown stressed he was not concussed in Wednesday's collision with teammate Matt Maguire and called for an end to "unnecessary talk about his future".
"I'll be right, just ran over a black cat, at least the legs will be super fresh," he said.
"The op went well, I'll be back in six (weeks) at this stage."

6944430579_1b6b30061b.jpg

James Hird

"[Brown's] a greatly admired player and the way he plays the game is the reason he's such a great player," Hird said.

"I know when I hurt my face back in 2002, I changed the way I played for an amount of time because I was fearful of what was going to happen.

"He doesn't seem to have done that and that probably shows his level of courage as opposed to mine, which is a fair bit greater."

I think he'll come back and come back in sensational form," he said.

"If you look at the injury this time on TV, it looked like there was nothing he could have done about it. It wasn't his fault. It was just wrong place, wrong time."

6799093356_09fd3d69d7.jpg

Jordan Lisle

Brown addressed the group before Friday morning's short training session at Coorparoo, and Lisle said he was in good spirits following his surgery.

"He said 'don't worry about me boys, I'll be all right'. He thinks he'll be back on the track on Monday and it'd be great to have him back and he would have only missed one session," Lisle said.

"There was a moment of silence when Browny went down, everyone was in a bit of shock. It's the third time it's happened and it was a bit of an awkward silence at first. Browny is in good spirits today and so is the group."

I have always felt we have got best value out of JB when we hit him in the chest on a fast(ish) lead. His big body makes him very difficult to get around.

All this stuff about him taking contested marks, poor leap etc misses the point- this has never been his go.

We have lacked the kicking skills to often enough hit him on the lead which is why we go the bomb in his general direction.

This is where Redden, Rich, Rockliff, Harwood and all the other mids etc must improve. Plonk the pill on Browns chest and he'll do the rest.

The fast lead is one of the oldest strategies and executed correctly still one of the best. Recall that great fat Carlton log Lance whatsizname kicking a heap against us one night at the Gabba doing just that.

Ben Hudson

Brown did some run-throughs, took part in light kicking and handball drills and headed off for a jog before having a stretch while watching his teammates complete the training session.

"I briefly saw him and he told me his modelling career is on hold," Hudson joked.

"He should be right to go one more crack at it (footy), he said."

"Browny's Browny, and that's the way he plays footy," Hudson said.

"That's why teammates and supporters love him. He's big and strong, so unless you want to tell him to change his game, I reckon we'll leave it as is.

"There's going to be injuries throughout the year; unfortunately it was our captain this time and touch wood there won't be many, but it's part and parcel of footy."

6960756015_c1b5773405.jpg

Link ....

Dermott Brereton says: "The Lions rely so heavily on Jonathan Brown and every match he misses really hurts them."

The Adjudicator says: "Lucky big Jonny Brown is a married man. The big bloke who carries Brisbane's hopes had his face rearranged for the third time in less than 12 months the other day. If he's not playing regularly then the Lions aren't winning all that often. Someone should get him Horace Grant's face mask. Even if it doesn't protect him they could sell replicas in the club's store."

6816599236_f8967ca92d.jpg

Dean Warren

"He started back last week and he looks quite normal again after the swelling reduced," Warren said.Brown has been able to increase his training load from light exercise to heavy work in the gym and ball work on the track.
"He's still in great physical shape," Warren said. "He was flying before the accident in what was basically his first uninterrupted pre-season for 10 years."
"Nothing's changed as far as his comeback. The surgeon was adamant that he needed six weeks off," Warren said.

6838728370_2c3c99d5a7.jpg

Jonathan Brown of the Footy Show

“(When it happened) I was furious,” Brown said.

“I knew pretty much straight away that I had collapsed my cheekbone and eye socket, and I just couldn’t believe it had happened again.”

“It was nothing compared to last year, this is something that I’d probably put in the ‘minor’ category,” he said.

“(But) it was the only good part of my face that was left.”

Brown also revealed that he might have had to consider re-thinking his AFL playing career had he suffered more severe head injuries and required another full facial reconstruction.

“You probably would (have to reassess your place in the game), not from a confidence point of view, but I’d have to go through the weight loss thing again. After the last one I dropped about 10 kilos and, to be honest, it’s been a really tough battle to get my weight back on,” he said.

“I’ve never naturally been a really big bloke, I’ve always had to work hard in the gym.”

“I’ve only just started to get back to my playing weight from two or three years ago, (so) you’d have to think seriously about it.”

6840038934_e3c62e2442.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free agents

Jonathan Brown - unrestricted

6987451979_f40f2cafa8.jpg

Link

A player has served ten or more seasons of AFL football at one club, has already come out of contract once in the period after March 1 in his eighth season, and is now out of contract. (Unrestricted Free Agent)

The player is eligible to field offers from all rival clubs. If he wishes to change clubs, the player must decide on the best offer of his choice from one rival club. His club does NOT have the right to match the presented offer, and the player can move AUTOMATICALLY to the new club of his choice. His original club will receive a compensation pick for the loss of the player, on an AFL-determined formula to apply where clubs lose more free agents than they gain in any single transfer period.

Dean Warren

“Jonathan and Simon have been outstanding and loyal servants of the Club for a long period of time now, and we don’t have any concerns of that changing,” Warren said.

“They’re both excited about being a part of what is a young and developing list."

“Both the players and the Club have agreed to terms in their contracts that will trigger extensions for 2013, and that is where some confusion around this list lies."

“They’re committed to being at the Lions in 2013 which is important for our fans to know.”

David Schwartze

'When comparing him to Buddy, Clokes misses too many goals in close, and Buddy's finishing ability is far better.
''But in the air Cloke is a long way ahead. His timing has improved immensely.
''I reckon he's starting to play a role that Jonathan Brown was playing six years ago. Just sheer power and athleticism.''

6996067011_35b58f2b9b.jpg

Maybe he feels more confident when he is stronger and has a bit more weight to throw around along with with aerobic fitness.

Not that he ever lacks confidence.

On Saturday while walking to the main gate to get into vissy park to see the essendon v brisbane practice match i ran into Jonathon Brown we had a good chat and let me tell everyone he is so commited in being back for round 3, fittness wise he is in excellent shape he just has to do the time out because of the facial injuries i got the feeling he is so excited to lead this young group he just needs a little luck something he deserves.

The Roar

And yes, Simon Black remains a class act, Ben Hudson is a reasonable pick-up for a short term ruck solution, Jonathan Brown is the closest thing the AFL has to Chuck Norris and Daniel Merrett is the type of player Michael Voss can build a defence around.

'We're not free agents'
By Nick Tedeschi
12:24 PM Thu 22 Mar, 2012

Brown said: "I'm actually not a free agent. I've still got a couple of years to run.

"Mine was only a medical asterisk. If you actually check the fine print, there's a few blokes in that category.

"It would be good to get that out there straight away so I don't have to go through all the questions.

"I'm not out of contract until the end of 2013."

An AFL spokesman said Hodge and Brown could have option clauses in their contracts covering 2013, but technically they were out of contract at the end of this season, which was why they had appeared on the list.

7004853533_9b0ab58d56.jpg

AFL is saying it as technically being out of contract, but realistically, both players would have signed the contracts expecting to see out the full length. So even though they do come out at the end of the year, the extention clause means they won't be going anywhere.

AFL is saying it as technically being out of contract, but realistically, both players would have signed the contracts expecting to see out the full length. So even though they do come out at the end of the year, the extention clause means they won't be going anywhere.

Oh, ok. So Brownie has a clause in his contract similar to Blackie's, then?

Something like that. By the sounds of it, their contracts had an injury clause, meaning if they broke down they wouldn't get the extra year. Where as Black needs to actually perform onfield to a certainly level to get his extra year.

Something like that. By the sounds of it, their contracts had an injury clause, meaning if they broke down they wouldn't get the extra year. Where as Black needs to actually perform onfield to a certainly level to get his extra year.

Ok, that makes sense. I imagine if it was an injury clause that Brownie and the club may have been thinking about that contract more closely recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back