Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2005
Location, Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=4824611

Hopkins, who will be 45 on Friday and still ranks among the best fighters in the world pound-for-pound, and Jones, who turns 41 on Saturday, signed contracts to meet in a scheduled 12-round light heavyweight fight on pay-per-view, representatives for both fighters told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

The fight likely will be April 17 at Mandalay Bay in Las Vegas, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer, Hopkins' promoter, said.

Danny Green is mentioned in the article in the following section:

Hopkins explored a fight with Green, but those talks went nowhere, and he had few other notable options. And Jones, who is protesting the loss to Green over a dispute related to the amount of gauze Green used in his hand wraps, still wanted to face Hopkins.

It sounds like Hopkins may not have actually ever been interested in a fight with Green, but perhaps they had issues about the split between the fighters, it's hard to know really.

I was also unaware of this gauze-related claim made by RJJ. It may just be a way for him to silence the doubters before his upcoing fight against B-Hop, but it doesn't sound too good for Green in any case.

Anyway, I thought this was newsworthy so I posted it, hope you found it interesting :thumbsu:

I was also unaware of this gauze-related claim made by RJJ. It may just be a way for him to silence the doubters before his upcoing fight against B-Hop, but it doesn't sound too good for Green in any case.
It's rubbish - Even if it were true, how could anyone categorically state that that was the difference, considering that Roy Jones Jr was dumb enough to stick his head out at a guy with a big right hand, and get it knocked off.

A couple of extra layers of gauze isn't really going to make much difference... He's also claiming that Danny Green hit him in the back of the head illegally, which is clearly bullshit from the video, so you can't put too much weight in the claims.

He's doing this to try and make the loss look less pathetic to the American media, who won't look too deeply into the claims, you can be sure, but he'll be hoping that it makes it easier to promote the Hopkins fight.

There's nothing for Green to worry about.

Excellent news. If Hopkins and Jones are going to fight then Green will be looking for a new opponent. And he'll find him right here in Australia. Bring on the Mundine rematch!

Excellent news. If Hopkins and Jones are going to fight then Green will be looking for a new opponent. And he'll find him right here in Australia. Bring on the Mundine rematch!
I hope Green forgets all about Mundine and goes after fighters like Erdei,Pascal,Dawson at light heavy.Or Cunningham at cruiser

It's rubbish - Even if it were true, how could anyone categorically state that that was the difference, considering that Roy Jones Jr was dumb enough to stick his head out at a guy with a big right hand, and get it knocked off.

A couple of extra layers of gauze isn't really going to make much difference... He's also claiming that Danny Green hit him in the back of the head illegally, which is clearly bullshit from the video, so you can't put too much weight in the claims.

He's doing this to try and make the loss look less pathetic to the American media, who won't look too deeply into the claims, you can be sure, but he'll be hoping that it makes it easier to promote the Hopkins fight.

There's nothing for Green to worry about.

I'm not sure it was the amount of gauze that he claimed was the problem, it was the fact that Green, allegedly, had his hands wrapped 2 hours before the commencement of the fight, and the gauze he used contained some kind of adhesive which is known to have a hardening effect. I imagine this would have, at least, a somewhat noticeable impact.

As I said in my initial post, it may just be a way to minimise the negative attention gained from his loss to Green, but these sorts of claims do not make Green look good in the eyes of boxing followers, regardless of whether what RJJ says is true or not.

I hope Green forgets all about Mundine and goes after fighters like Erdei,Pascal,Dawson at light heavy.Or Cunningham at cruiser

I also hope that Mundine forgets all about Green and challenges himself on the big stage against a high quality fighter.

As for Green, I'd like to see him fight Dawson or Cunningham, most definitely.

As I said in my initial post, it may just be a way to minimise the negative attention gained from his loss to Green, but these sorts of claims do not make Green look good in the eyes of boxing followers, regardless of whether what RJJ says is true or not.
That's the part I don't get...

Are you saying that if RJJ came out and claimed that Danny Green had four arms and was using two of them to hit him with a shovel in the fight, it would make Green not look good in the eyes of boxing followers, regardless of whether what RJJ says is true or not?

How can totally spurious claims with no merit to them make anyone look worse?

That's the part I don't get...

Are you saying that if RJJ came out and claimed that Danny Green had four arms and was using two of them to hit him with a shovel in the fight, it would make Green not look good in the eyes of boxing followers, regardless of whether what RJJ says is true or not?

How can totally spurious claims with no merit to them make anyone look worse?

This is the thing, can we be certain the claims have no merit?

This answer is simpy no.

It's the same with Floyd and Manny at the moment. Through asking for blood tests (which is something Floyd has absolutely no right to do, by the way) Floyd has cast a shadow over Manny, one which may be totally unfounded, but it is now present nonetheless. You could argue that the Ian Thorpe case presents a similar example.

It is a possibility that Danny could have had his hands wrapped illegally, unlike your four armed shovel illustration, and this has quite probably created some doubt in the eyes of certain individuals. This is perhaps compounded by the fact that boxing is a sport which is infamous for corruption, especially when a hometown hero is involved (see Paulie vs Diaz I).

This is the thing, can we be certain the claims have no merit?

This answer is simpy no.
The lack of evidence against something can never be used as evidence FOR it.

See Russell's teapot for the extreme example of that cause.

Sure, it's possible RJJs claims have merit, but he's waited a while to make the claim, and his own personal agenda is served quite a bit by making them.

Until he provides any evidence whatsoever that Green had his hands taped illegally, I'm going to believe 100% in Green's innocence. Similarly with Mayweather's accusations about Pacquaio - If Floyd Jr & Sr can't provide any evidence whatsoever, then it's completely unfair to Manny to in any way diminish his public opinion.

Cmon Bernard, KNOCK HIS ****ING HEAD OFF.

What a sook Jones Jr has turned out to be.

He was beaten fair and square by Green, yet continues to whinge like a stuck pig. I used to respect JJ as both a boxer and a man, guess the second part has gone out the window now.

I'm in the Hopkins camp, also because if he wins Green may get a crack at him.

The lack of evidence against something can never be used as evidence FOR it.

See Russell's teapot for the extreme example of that cause.

Sure, it's possible RJJs claims have merit, but he's waited a while to make the claim, and his own personal agenda is served quite a bit by making them.

Until he provides any evidence whatsoever that Green had his hands taped illegally, I'm going to believe 100% in Green's innocence. Similarly with Mayweather's accusations about Pacquaio - If Floyd Jr & Sr can't provide any evidence whatsoever, then it's completely unfair to Manny to in any way diminish his public opinion.

Yeah, I agree with this, but surely you must treat RJJ the same way.

Currently, I do not really have an opinion either way on what transpired, as nothing has been proven or otherwise. If this continues to be the case, then my perspective on both fighters will not change at all.

The Floyd situation is a little different, as he is working on nothing more than a hunch, whereas RJJ has actually claimed to have seen the incident take place.

In any case, it is important for the boxing authorities to ensure that illegal wrapping never occurs within the sport, as we don't want a repeat of the Billy Collins situation.

Cmon Bernard, KNOCK HIS ****ING HEAD OFF.

What a sook Jones Jr has turned out to be.

He was beaten fair and square by Green, yet continues to whinge like a stuck pig. I used to respect JJ as both a boxer and a man, guess the second part has gone out the window now.

I'm in the Hopkins camp, also because if he wins Green may get a crack at him.

This comment really highlights my point about certain individuals believing in one fighter's story without any proof whatsoever.

You just can't say this sort of thing, as you have no idea what happened behind the scenes.

Just because you are a Green fan doesn't mean you can totally discount anything negative about him.

I'm not sure it was the amount of gauze that he claimed was the problem, it was the fact that Green, allegedly, had his hands wrapped 2 hours before the commencement of the fight, and the gauze he used contained some kind of adhesive which is known to have a hardening effect. I imagine this would have, at least, a somewhat noticeable impact.

If they had any inclination about this before the fight (how else would they know, unless someone else told them later) why would he delay the start of the fight by half to 3/4's of an hour? The more time he wasted, the harder these "cheating wraps" were getting. Seems a little silly to bring up that he had these on 2 hours before the fight when it could have been just over an hour if the fight had started on time except for RJJ's stalling tactics.

If they had any inclination about this before the fight (how else would they know, unless someone else told them later) why would he delay the start of the fight by half to 3/4's of an hour? The more time he wasted, the harder these "cheating wraps" were getting. Seems a little silly to bring up that he had these on 2 hours before the fight when it could have been just over an hour if the fight had started on time except for RJJ's stalling tactics.

Maybe because they were trying to get him to change the wraps?

After an hour the wraps would be pretty damn firm anyway, so it would probably have been in RJJ's best interests to talk Danny into changing them rather than just simply getting in the ring anyway.

Also, apparently they tried to get Roy to use a pair of old gloves, so this could have delayed the fight further whilst they got a new pair of gloves for him.

Just to point this out, I'm not saying this was the case, I'm merely providing an explanation for why the delay could have occurred (from Roy's side of the story).

On a side note, if the link below is anything to go by, then B-Hop really didn't have any desire to fight Green in the first place.

http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/date-with-the-executioner-on-hold-for-green-20100115-mc8s.html

Only one of these guys have carried their talent into their 40s, and it aint the younger of the two. Hopkins in a landslide, Jones has been done for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back