RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
The dust has settled on the massive Volkanovski/Makhachev fight and we move straight on to what is a massive event. Finally Jon Jones makes his return (after more than 3 years) and finally Jones makes his heavyweight debut (after talking about it for about a decade).

1676890497718.png

Shevchenko should find a way, but Grasso at least has the ground game to threaten. With all the champions losing lately, you never know.

Big hype-train Nickel makes his debut and should win very easily and quickly here. Du Plessis makes a pretty quick turnaround and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Brunson ended his run. Yet another hype train in Ian Garry on the early prelims shows the depth, and looking forward to seeing Ricci again (mind out of the gutters fellas).

Besides the ME, it's the Rakhomonov/Neal fight I'm most looking forward to. Neal is a serious test and I expect Shavkat to keep his train on the tracks and put his name forward for a top 5 fight next.

I really don't know, so many unknowns, mainly how this long layoff has affected Jones, plus he's 35 now. If he's close to his best I think he smokes Gane.
Wasnt close to his best before he took a 3 year layoff and stacked on muscle. I doubt he looks close to great now...

Im on Gane, $2.35 is great odds for what should be close, if not slight favour to Gane. Jones couldn't get santos out who had no knees. His wrestling lost more than a step and he never had killshot power at LHW. I think Gane wins this 60% of the time.

Wasnt close to his best before he took a 3 year layoff and stacked on muscle. I doubt he looks close to great now...

Im on Gane, $2.35 is great odds for what should be close, if not slight favour to Gane. Jones couldn't get santos out who had no knees. His wrestling lost more than a step and he never had killshot power at LHW. I think Gane wins this 60% of the time.

I still generally think that LHW is a lot higher skill level and quickness than HW for the most part, maybe we'll see a big disparity there, maybe not. Like I said, so many unknowns, I'm really not sure (but I'll be watching the hell out of it of course)

Interested to see what effect the weight gane has on jones. He's got to carry another 20-30 pounds on those match stick legs.

Cyril will gane an advantage by using his kickboxing skills to cut Jones down with leg kicks. Can't remember anyone trying it as it has always looked to me as a physical weakness to me.

I still generally think that LHW is a lot higher skill level and quickness than HW for the most part, maybe we'll see a big disparity there, maybe not. Like I said, so many unknowns, I'm really not sure (but I'll be watching the hell out of it of course)
For sure, though Gane is probably the exception to that rule.

But echo most of the thoughts here, lots of unknowns, with a fit and firing JBJ who works at HW likely winning fairly easily. The biggest unknown for me is the 3 years off and coming back in his mid-30s, after what already looked like a decline. Heavier and slower, is a matchup against an elite striker - usually Jones' speciality - not actually ideal now?

He's the greatest fighter I've ever seen (shall we start that thread as well?), so as Topkent said, not sure how anyone can count Jon Jones out.

For sure, though Gane is probably the exception to that rule.

But echo most of the thoughts here, lots of unknowns, with a fit and firing JBJ who works at HW likely winning fairly easily. The biggest unknown for me is the 3 years off and coming back in his mid-30s, after what already looked like a decline. Heavier and slower, is a matchup against an elite striker - usually Jones' speciality - not actually ideal now?

He's the greatest fighter I've ever seen (shall we start that thread as well?), so as Topkent said, not sure how anyone can count Jon Jones out.

Yeah Jones is my GOAT too (ignoring the pissing hot of course). But yeah Gane sure isn't like most HWs in history, it's probably a fight where any outcome wouldn't be shocking to me (other than Gane subbing him maybe)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think there's a lot of people you take what they say with a pinch of salt, but you listen to people live Volk, Usman etc talk and you can trust that champion mindset. I might end up looking stupid, but I tend to trust what he's saying there. He definitely didn't fight like he was worried too much

I think there's a lot of people you take what they say with a pinch of salt, but you listen to people live Volk, Usman etc talk and you can trust that champion mindset. I might end up looking stupid, but I tend to trust what he's saying there. He definitely didn't fight like he was worried too much
Yeah I reckon him being scared would flick him into beast mode training wise.

Gustafsson is a great example. Didn't really train the first time and almost lost, so the second time around he took it seriously and destroyed him

We have already heard stories of him blowing coke the weekend before fights in LHW.

Gustafsson is a great example. Didn't really train the first time and almost lost, so the second time around he took it seriously and destroyed him

We have already heard stories of him blowing coke the weekend before fights in LHW.
Yeah and I watched a little compilation of Jones career and I really don't think he respected the ability of his last few opponents especially Reyes

He definitely took Reyes, Santos and Smith lightly, nearly losing the former two. It makes sense for an elite competitor to lose a step if not feeling particularly challenged, especially after big build ups and rivalries with Gustafsson and DC. I can't imagine he's not feeling challenged by the likes of Gane and Stipe, as well as the up-and-comers like Pavlovich and Aspinall.

Not sure about his claim re the HW divison though, with potentially the scariest man ever not there.

He definitely took Reyes, Santos and Smith lightly, nearly losing the former two. It makes sense for an elite competitor to lose a step if not feeling particularly challenged, especially after big build ups and rivalries with Gustafsson and DC. I can't imagine he's not feeling challenged by the likes of Gane and Stipe, as well as the up-and-comers like Pavlovich and Aspinall.

Not sure about his claim re the HW divison though, with potentially the scariest man ever not there.

I honestly think Jones going to HW is scary for the guys there. I feel like Jones might be the guy who enjoys hurting people the most in the cage, he's a really frightening bloke to have to fight i think. Like I've said earlier I really don't know but gun to my head if I had to make a call Jones smokes all the HWs there, and it might be easily.

Ngannous legitimacy was never tested, lost to Stipe and Lewis and whilst he avenged the stipe loss just being a big knockout artist doesn't make him the scariest of all time.

Pavlovic is doing the exact same thing and guys like Jones and Aspinall would have embarrassed him in wrestling.

I honestly think Jones going to HW is scary for the guys there. I feel like Jones might be the guy who enjoys hurting people the most in the cage, he's a really frightening bloke to have to fight i think. Like I've said earlier I really don't know but gun to my head if I had to make a call Jones smokes all the HWs there, and it might be easily.
Agreed.

Ngannous legitimacy was never tested, lost to Stipe and Lewis and whilst he avenged the stipe loss just being a big knockout artist doesn't make him the scariest of all time.

Pavlovic is doing the exact same thing and guys like Jones and Aspinall would have embarrassed him in wrestling.
Certainly he was never tested, but what we did see was absolutely frightening. Pavlovich and Aspinall are definitely better fighters than Francis, yet Pavlovich hasn't had an Overeem/Rozenstruik/JDS/Blaydes type is-he-dead knockout in the UFC, and Aspinall wouldn't have any more success wrestling Ngannou than Stipe had in their second fight.

I dunno, I just really wanted to see Jones work out the Ngannou puzzle.

Agreed.

Certainly he was never tested, but what we did see was absolutely frightening. Pavlovich and Aspinall are definitely better fighters than Francis, yet Pavlovich hasn't had an Overeem/Rozenstruik/JDS/Blaydes type is-he-dead knockout in the UFC, and Aspinall wouldn't have any more success wrestling Ngannou than Stipe had in their second fight.

I dunno, I just really wanted to see Jones work out the Ngannou puzzle.
Does the strength of the KO really matter? He still dropp Tai and ****ed him easily so that's genuine power and Ngannou isn't know for an iron chin as far as I'm aware. As for Aspinall I disagree, his wrestling/BJJ is a way higher level than Stipe but guess it'll remain unknown

I reckon Jones would have absolute wrestled the * out of Ngannou

To me Stipe could be his hardest test

But Stipe is 40 and hasn't fought for 2 years

Back