MMA-UFC UFC 297 - Strickland vs du Plessis - Saturday Jan 20, 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

DDP waa striking a bit like Strickland vs Izzy. Just countering every time, not pretty or accurate shots but just power. Didnt take long to earn Seans respect and really sapped his forward momentum. Other part he does really well is mask his strike with his entry, its very hard to predict what he will throw. He can generate power with unorthodox strikes from strange angles.

I think what truly edged it for DDP is that he was the one always pushing the pace. Strickland was countering him with the jab, but I think was too cautious to throw a follow up because Dricus was never deterred by the counter and kept coming forward regardless.

Still, I think those wild, no-look overhands are going to be his undoing. I think Izzy would take advantage of that.

I thought it was 3-2 Strickland but not a clear cut win, the judges' decision didn't surprise me.

My river's audio cut out when Sean took the mic so I didn't hear what he said in the post fight interview.

It appeared that DDP and Sean were really more like buddies all week, making their 'fight' in the stands a month ago all the more questionable.

The UFC seems to become more like the WWE with every passing year.

Dana said in his post fight press conference that he had it 3-2 Strickland.

The middleweight belt on the line for UFC 300 would be nice but that is a short turnaround for the new champ.

As expected, the rest of the main card was pretty crap, and people paid through the nose for seats and PPVs.

Some of the prelim fights were surprisingly good, though.

It appeared that DDP and Sean were really more like buddies all week, making their 'fight' in the stands a month ago all the more questionable.

The UFC seems to become more like the WWE with every passing year.
Sorry but what mate? You reckon Sean Strickland of all people went on a podcast and cried because the UFC asked him too?
In what world is Strickland getting into a fight in the crowd not believable?

Was kinda hoping Strickland won so Whittaker could get a shot if he beat Costa. Might still happen.
Whittaker no chance imo. Izzy and Chimaev will be above him. Whittaker gonna have to do something crazy to get a 4th go at the title
Also if the boss thinks you won you're probably ahead of Whittaker too.

Last edited:
Sorry but what mate? You reckon Sean Strickland of all people went on a podcast and cried because the UFC asked him too?

It did strike me how amicable they seemed to be, before and after the fight. But hey they're fighters, I'm sure neither gave a * about the brawl in the crowd, just a bit of fun for em I reckon.

It did strike me how amicable they seemed to be, before and after the fight. But hey they're fighters, I'm sure neither gave a * about the brawl in the crowd, just a bit of fun for em I reckon.
Was pretty simple, Sean dmd him and said he crossed the line, Dricus text him back saying don't talk s**t if you don't want it back, Sean said fair enough but I'll attack you again if you keep going and Dricus said I respect you for that. Then they both shook hands and said I'll see you in the cage.

Weird for normal people yeah, weird for 2 men who cage fight for a living? Nup.

Sean even said at the second presser that nothing normally gets to him but Dricus got him and said congrats to the *er lol.

If it was all the UFC no way they would have told them to kiss and make up lol an Dana doubled down on that at his presser. Everyone can say what they want and if they don't want Sean to say offensive s**t, don't ask him the ******* questions

Was pretty simple, Sean dmd him and said he crossed the line, Dricus text him back saying don't talk s**t if you don't want it back, Sean said fair enough but I'll attack you again if you keep going and Dricus said I respect you for that. Then they both shook hands and said I'll see you in the cage.

Weird for normal people yeah, weird for 2 men who cage fight for a living? Nup.

Sean even said at the second presser that nothing normally gets to him but Dricus got him and said congrats to the *er lol.

If it was all the UFC no way they would have told them to kiss and make up lol an Dana doubled down on that at his presser. Everyone can say what they want and if they don't want Sean to say offensive s*t, don't ask him the ****** questions
Yep, no conspiracy here, everything played out very publicly from start to finish.

I didn't say anything about the podcast.

What I said was that they appeared to be buddies during fight week (which they did) and this made their 'fight' in the crowd even more questionable (which it is).

And I said that the UFC is becoming more like the WWE with every passing year, which you can disagree with if you like, it's a forum, we all have our own takes.

I didn't say anything about the podcast.

What I said was that they appeared to be buddies during fight week (which they did) and this made their 'fight' in the crowd even more questionable (which it is).

And I said that the UFC is becoming more like the WWE with every passing year, which you can disagree with if you like, it's a forum, we all have our own takes.
The podcast was a direct result of the things Dricus said to him at the press conference. Then they fought in the crowd, then they made up after that which I did explain in another post. There's no conspiracy here

The podcast was a direct result of the things Dricus said to him at the press conference. Then they fought in the crowd, then they made up after that which I did explain in another post. There's no conspiracy here

And Sean congratulated DDP for his win immediately after the fight, and then this happened the next day:

sean and ddp.jpeg

Instead of listening to what they say, I'm going to base my opinions on what they do.

Their 'fight' in the crowd led to literally zero injuries.

They were pleasant to one another (and each other's partners) during fight week.

I don't believe these two hate each other at all.

They are clever men who know how to promote fights and make $$$. Same with Dana.

Similar to WWE 'enemies' and Vince McMahon.

If you disagree, that is fine. We can agree to disagree 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And Sean congratulated DDP for his win immediately after the fight, and then this happened the next day:

View attachment 1891557

Instead of listening to what they say, I'm going to base my opinions on what they do.

Their 'fight' in the crowd led to literally zero injuries.

They were pleasant to one another (and each other's partners) during fight week.

I don't believe these two hate each other at all.

They are clever men who know how to promote fights and make $$$. Same with Dana.

Similar to WWE 'enemies' and Vince McMahon.

If you disagree, that is fine. We can agree to disagree 👍
I agree afterwards someone got in Sean's ear and said you better kick up some s**t if you want a rematch. Probably his coaches not the UFC

Absolutely is

Look no further than Aspinall not getting either Stipe/Jones
Conor wedging himself into big fights like Brock Lesnar does in WWE
"These 2 really don't like each other, Joe!!"
The #1 contenders always being overlooked for 'bigger' fights.

It's a travelling circus not a sport. UFC even do their own rankings and move guys in/out as they either need to sell a fight or negotiate a contract.

It's always been WWE without the scripted finishes. It's the same business model, they're in bed together now too. Harder to claim the UFC isn't a lot like WWE than vice versa

Remove this Banner Ad

Back