MMA-UFC UFC 294: Makhachev vs Volkanovski 2

Remove this Banner Ad

When guys survive the first round Chimaev struggles. Burns and Usman made it, and they were only 3 rounders

If (big if) Strickland can get it late into the 3rd and beyond, he'll end him.

I know you like arguing everything but this is a pretty simple concept to follow
I'm really not arguing mate it's a discussion if you're gonna be bitchy about it then don't bother?

Another useless comparison we can make is - Khamzat > Usman > Strickland.

We were all rubbishing Strickland just 6 weeks ago. His last three have been impressive (and obviously amazing against Izzy), but prior to that he struggled with Pereira, Cannonier and Hermansson. He has good TDD, no doubt, but Usman has amazing TDD and look what happened. Strickland can win, but all factors considered, surely Khamzat has to be favoured?
Strickland had the night of his life against Izzy no doubt but you'd have to think he's arguably not even in the top 5 middleweights on the planet. Id argue DDP, Izzy, Whittaker, and I guess Poatan are all better. Khamzat imo has a well rounded enough game to trouble him he can't just walk forward with his hands super high like he did against Izzy because Khamzat goes straight for the take down.

Yes he'll be favoured. Strickland odds to be above $3.

Why has DDP been forgotten anyway, he was supposed to be next.

Almost like title shots don't go to number 1 contenders but just whoever is ready when they need a headliner.
That's always been the case in the UFC. It's a business first and foremost, so if a better-selling fight comes up, the rankings don't matter at all. It should 100% be DDP.

Strickland had the night of his life against Izzy no doubt but you'd have to think he's arguably not even in the top 5 middleweights on the planet. Id argue DDP, Izzy, Whittaker, and I guess Poatan are all better. Khamzat imo has a well rounded enough game to trouble him he can't just walk forward with his hands super high like he did against Izzy because Khamzat goes straight for the take down.
The game plan has to change big-time, of course. I would say that's easy enough for a top level fighter, but Strickland's lack of adjustment against Poatan was concerning.

That's always been the case in the UFC. It's a business first and foremost, so if a better-selling fight comes up, the rankings don't matter at all. It should 100% be DDP.
It's worse now that ever before, #1 contender fights were adhered to at least. Now they announce them, skip over them, or ignore they ever said it when it suits

Strickland v Chimaev will be polarizing though. Bring it on - not saying I'd prefer DDP, just saying they did say he was #1 contender.

Strickland $3.70 v Chimaev in the US also. Hope they do this next

DDP is the worst fighter in the top 5 of any division bar wmma. That might have some dodgy contenders

I still want Khamzat v Costa
Just to see how the wrestling will go against someone he doesn't have a size advantage over

Just give DDP the shot v Strickland. Beating a welterweight on 10 days notice isn't a bigger win than smoking Whittaker.

They'll never do it though because DDP Strickland would do about 10 ppv buys

Has Usman made any indication he wants to continue at 185? I'm fairly sure he goes straight back down to 170.

Not sure to be honest. He sounded like he enjoyed not having to cut down to 170 this weekend and the division doesn't have a guy who has beaten him back to back holding the title.

Not sure to be honest. He sounded like he enjoyed not having to cut down to 170 this weekend and the division doesn't have a guy who has beaten him back to back holding the title.
Will be interesting to see, and a lot would depend on who wins at 296. There's no obvious #1 contender (sorry Belal), but if Leon wins a possibility would be Usman vs the winner of Wonderboy/Shavkat. If Colby wins, I'd say Usman gets a shot straight away, regardless of the losing streak.

The options at MW are far more interesting to me, but cementing his legacy at WW should be the goal.

For anyone who didn't see Khamzats interview. Probably redeemed everything he lost with the weight miss.

How about what he said in his native tongue, though?

I saw a translation on r/mma which suggested he was talking about taking up arms and going to fight for the muslims / arabs.

Not criticising DC because he was put in a tough position there but letting a muslim fighter have the mic like that, and speak in his own language (i.e. most of the tv audience have nfi what is being said), in front of a muslim crowd, immediately after speaking about the conflict (i.e. signalling that that was what was on his mind), was a recipe for trouble.

I have no issue with Khamzat saying whaatever he wants but it should either be in English, or with a translator on the spot, otherwise we get these situations where one audience think one thing, the other audience knows another thing. This is not unusual in the palestinian conflict, mind you.

They'll never do it though because DDP Strickland would do about 10 ppv buys

I'd be one of those ten buys (if I was the kind of person to buy ppvs, of course).

DDP is intelligent and speaks well, Strickland clearly knows how to sell a fight, I think these two could build it well.

Not that I am saying the UFC will schedule it, I'm just disagreeing with the idea that these two couldn't sell a fight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be one of those ten buys (if I was the kind of person to buy ppvs, of course).

DDP is intelligent and speaks well, Strickland clearly knows how to sell a fight, I think these two could build it well.

Not that I am saying the UFC will schedule it, I'm just disagreeing with the idea that these two couldn't sell a fight.
Yeah I reckon Strickland will sell good his next fight. He's probably the best press conference/embedded fighter in the UFC now with Colby

How about what he said in his native tongue, though?

I saw a translation on r/mma which suggested he was talking about taking up arms and going to fight for the muslims / arabs.

Not criticising DC because he was put in a tough position there but letting a muslim fighter have the mic like that, and speak in his own language (i.e. most of the tv audience have nfi what is being said), in front of a muslim crowd, immediately after speaking about the conflict (i.e. signalling that that was what was on his mind), was a recipe for trouble.

I have no issue with Khamzat saying whaatever he wants but it should either be in English, or with a translator on the spot, otherwise we get these situations where one audience think one thing, the other audience knows another thing. This is not unusual in the palestinian conflict, mind you.
Yeah that was a bit bizarre, not sure if it was correctly translated but if it was it sounded like he wanted to go fight in the war. Certainly played both sides

well i had to go and look for it, if someone already posted and got deleted then well...may mine will be as well, it's alright.

(got me thinking, can I get AI to translate it for me rather than relying on some human with nefarious agendas...but then...AI can't even draw fingers properly)

Also, YT currently doesn't have Chechen auto translation, even if it did it would be in....Chechen...hmm

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back