MMA-UFC UFC 297 - Strickland vs du Plessis - Saturday Jan 20, 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

mouncey2franklin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 16, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
fight card ufc 297.png

The main card begins at 10pm US eastern, which is 2pm Aus eastern.

There's only one fight on that entire card which really interests me.

How do you have fights on the prelims of a PPV where neither fighter even has a wikipedia page?

The UFC is such an amateur outfit in some ways, it is remarkable.

The bookies have Strickland as a slight favourite, close to evens though.

View attachment 1889644

The main card begins at 10pm US eastern, which is 2pm Aus eastern.

There's only one fight on that entire card which really interests me.

How do you have fights on the prelims of a PPV where neither fighter even has a wikipedia page?

The UFC is such an amateur outfit in some ways, it is remarkable.

The bookies have Strickland as a slight favourite, close to evens though.
Here's part of the reason that the prelims are so thin...
Screenshot_20240120-092219_Google.jpg

Really hard event to pick. Going with:

DDP TKO Round 2
Silva Decision
Malott Sub Round 2
Curtis Decision
Allen Decision (awesome fight)

Feels like DDP's time. The UFC and Adesanya will be hoping so for the sake of the fight that everyone thought was coming late last year. An Adesanya v du Plessis fight has already been sold, just need to get the belt off Strickland for it to come to fruition. Might even be on the African card Dana has talked about for years. South Africa v Nigeria is a good headliner for that card.

DDP to get the knockout win in round 3.

Amusing scenes at the announcement of the decision for the Jourdain vs Woodson fight.

Woodson thought he had lost, so he congratulated his opponent and went to walk away.

DC paused him and explained that he had won the fight.

Woodson was gracious in defeat and in victory within the space of 20 seconds.

Woodson is built like an alien.
Monsters Inc Disney GIF by Tondrakht

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how does this fella Evloev match up against Volk? If Volk beats Topuria he’ll need a new dance partner and he’s taken out everyone else pretty much
The Topuria fight will tell us a lot I think. These guys are 6+ years younger than Volk with strong all round games (Topuria more so than Evloev on the feet) and room for improvement. I believe both give prime Volk good fights, but if Volk has lost a step then either of these two could take advantage.

The Topuria fight will tell us a lot I think. These guys are 6+ years younger than Volk with strong all round games (Topuria more so than Evloev on the feet) and room for improvement. I believe both give prime Volk good fights, but if Volk has lost a step then either of these two could take advantage.

Very true. Blokes will be lining up to fight Volk now I reckon, they know they’re a chance to catch him on the decline, he’s old for a champ at that weight class (shows how great he is of course)

Pennington is a very underwhelming champ. Shes tough and has decent cardio but thats about it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back