MMA-UFC UFC 285: Jones vs Gane

Who wins?

• Jon Jones

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Cyril Gane

Votes: 7 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Rakhmonov was an unbelievable fight, both catching each other with monster shots, staying in the pocket slipping shots for 90% of the fight, some varied striking, both coming back from adversity multiple times. Top it off with a unique finish.

The top 10 fights of the decade It's better than at least 3 fights on that list.
Just fyi that list is from 3 years ago.

Just fyi that list is from 3 years ago.

I'm aware. Just referencing the caliber of fight over the last decadish, cause I couldn't find a more recent one. Gus/Jones, Eddie/Chandler, Rua/Shogun have aged out. This fight was also better than Michael Johnson and Justin Gaejthe. Similar level to Grice vs Bermudez which also should have been on the list.

Last edited:
I'm aware. Just referencing the caliber of fight over the last decadish, cause I couldn't find a more recent one. Gus/Jones, Eddie/Chandler, Rua/Shogun have aged out. This fight was also better than Michael Johnson and Justin Gaejthe. Similar level to Grice vs Bermudez which also should have been on the list.
McGregor Diaz 2, Gaethje Chandler, Woodley Wonderboy, Islam Volk, Volk Holloway, Whitaker Romero, Usman Covington, Ferguson Barbosa are just a few off the top of my head that were way better fights. You’re having a laugh if you think the fight today was one of the greatest ufc fights ever.

Is it really?

HW GOAT v GOAT

Stipe could wrestle with Jones. And I don't think Jones could KO him

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk
Stipe is washed now, so yeah. Big on name value but that wont be close imo.

Pavlovic got taken down and controlled by Reem. Has nothing for Jones or even Blaydes i dont think

That said when i was so woefully wrong today, * my takes 😂

Blaydes beats Jones. Ill stand by this
How does he do it? Jones has proven many times that his wrestling is very good and he was on the front foot pushing the action against a very accomplished heavyweight striker (that supposedly moves like a middleweight) in Cyril Gane. So where does Blaydes have the advantage over Jones?

Stipe is washed now, so yeah. Big on name value but that wont be close imo.
Even if that's true, you'd prefer to get the name on your resume if you can. Anderson Silva was far from his best when he faced Adesanya but in 10 years from now people will just see a notable name and see Adesanya got the W which will help his legacy.

How does he do it? Jones has proven many times that his wrestling is very good and he was on the front foot pushing the action against a very accomplished heavyweight striker (that supposedly moves like a middleweight) in Cyril Gane. So where does Blaydes have the advantage over Jones?
We didnt see much today. Im not convinced Jones has wound back the clock and we see a wrecking ball like v Machida as opposed to v Reyes again. Gane was pathetic today, lets not kid ourselves

Blaydes is a real heavyweight who has chin issues. Chin wont be an issue v Jones who has no KO power. Natural size, strong wrestling, and a probable cardio advantage.

That said, vintage Jones, if he still exists, beats him obviously.

Even if that's true, you'd prefer to get the name on your resume if you can. Anderson Silva was far from his best when he faced Adesanya but in 10 years from now people will just see a notable name and see Adesanya got the W which will help his legacy.
There's still the unknown of the size factor at HW for Jones, considering it's not Gane's strength, but he's never had a single problem with any wrestler he's faced, and I struggle to see how Curtis Blaydes is the man to use it against him.

And agree re legacy. A win over Stipe is big no matter his age. Possibly the most well rounded HW the UFC has seen (I'd argue for Cain), and on paper, has the skillset to test anyone. We all know what's going to happen, but Jones is here to build his legacy.

Actually, take it back on Blaydes. He doesnt have the standup to win that side of it. He isnt beating Jones unless Jones is as bad as the Reyes fight again...

Pavlovic needs better TDD
Stipe is losing
Aspinall needs some wins yet
That brazilian kid theyre bringing along slowly might be the guy? Fast track him. Just be abdurakimov i think. Alton whatever

Who else am i missing?

There's still the unknown of the size factor at HW for Jones, considering it's not Gane's strength, but he's never had a single problem with any wrestler he's faced, and I struggle to see how Curtis Blaydes is the man to use it against him.

And agree re legacy. A win over Stipe is big no matter his age. Possibly the most well rounded HW the UFC has seen (I'd argue for Cain), and on paper, has the skillset to test anyone. We all know what's going to happen, but Jones is here to build his legacy.
It would be a shock if Blaydes ended up being the guy to beat him using his wrestling. I just don't see it happening.

While I agree that Miocic is a good one to tick off the bucket list, just being well rounded doesn't always mean that's the best available opponent. Rob Whittaker is probably the most well rounded middleweight in the world but people aren't screaming out to see him fight Adesanya again. Pereira may actually be the least well rounded ranked fighter in the middleweight division but that's the fight people want to see the next time Adesanya steps in the cage. Styles make fights and I'd rather see Jones fight Ngannou (instead of Miocic) if that was an option but it looks like it's not so I'll settle for Stipe for now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think wrestling does s**t to Jones, this is a guy who handled Cormier and beat him in the wrestling.

I think it's gonna be a KO artist who has good TDD. Someone who makes Jon standup. Cause I don't care who you are no one has a good enough chin to take a shot from Tai, Pavlovich, Ngannou etc and not go down. Unfortunately Tai ain't that guy

Ok so I'm assuming Jones beats Stipe next (I've always thought Jones beats any version of Stipe anyway). So who might be after that? I'm thinking Aspinall is the only current HW who COULD beat Jones, maybe he needs a year or two of more experience too. Pavlovich might be interesting, though I think Jones would be too fast.

Curtis Blaydes might be an interesting one, I'm assuming he's too one dimensional to have a chance though.

Ok so I'm assuming Jones beats Stipe next (I've always thought Jones beats any version of Stipe anyway). So who might be after that? I'm thinking Aspinall is the only current HW who COULD beat Jones, maybe he needs a year or two of more experience too. Pavlovich might be interesting, though I think Jones would be too fast.

Curtis Blaydes might be an interesting one, I'm assuming he's too one dimensional to have a chance though.
Aspinall the one for me too. Great BJJ. Not sure how his striking goes with Jones but he's the most well rounded heavyweight.

Everyone else are too specialized and Jones is too good. Gane the best on the feet but I mean look at that, Sergei, Tai etc have that killer power but Tai especially no ground game.

Blades has the ground game, but then how does he even get to him with the level of striking of Jones, plus Cormier couldn't our wrestle him, is Blaydes that much better

Also let's be real, other than Ngannou and a few others. Heavyweights are just fat LHWs. The skill level at LHW is way higher than HW. Look at Blaydes. He could make LHW with more discipline

Yeah I mean the LHW limit in MMA is higher than the cruiserweight limit so yeah, they're big fellas at light heavy. Guys like Ngannou could never make LHW of course but most of the good ones are around 240, they could get down a division mostly.

And agreed on the skill level at LHW, that was my theory around Jones being able to run through HW, so far it would appear to be accurate.

Yeah I mean the LHW limit in MMA is higher than the cruiserweight limit so yeah, they're big fellas at light heavy. Guys like Ngannou could never make LHW of course but most of the good ones are around 240, they could get down a division mostly.

And agreed on the skill level at LHW, that was my theory around Jones being able to run through HW, so far it would appear to be accurate.
Most of the LHW guys are naturally at like 230-240 outside the cage. Anthony Smith seemed to be hinting hes 240+ right now. If they were allowed to eat a little more they could easily fight at HW. There's no fat LHWs but there are plenty of fat HWs.

That brazilian kid theyre bringing along slowly might be the guy? Fast track him. Just be abdurakimov i think. Alton whatever

Who else am i missing?
Jailton Almeida. Awesome BJJ game but as with wrestling, that by itself has never troubled JJ. Plus prefer him at LHW. Looking forward to seeing his progress though.

Blades has the ground game, but then how does he even get to him with the level of striking of Jones, plus Cormier couldn't our wrestle him, is Blaydes that much better
Blaydes is not even close to DC. Probably not even the level of some of JJ's previous victims - Bader, Sonnen, Evans etc - though again, who knows with the size factor.

Blaydes is not even close to DC. Probably not even the level of some of JJ's previous victims - Bader, Sonnen, Evans etc - though again, who knows with the size factor.

You're right, I guess it's the only HW that appears his grappling might be a match for Jones. Spivac is good at those judo style takedowns but his top control isn't as good as Blaydes.

Of course Blaydes is fairly one dimensional, I'm sure Jones finds a path to victory in some way.

Back