Past Josh Drummond (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

Did he really go to Melbourne and take a tour of North Melbourne. On the North board a guy reckons he tour their club and his family were in the final stages of moving to Melbourne.

It's either BS, or they're looking at him for a coaching position. Of course, that's the same rumour that said he has kids, so maybe they provide more than just a job down at North.

Sad news but I kinda expected it which is weird. I will miss your super left boot and your stepping and tricks to get past players. Another true clubman we have lost. That is two Queenslanders gone now:( Stiller and Drummond both gone never to return. Anyway good luck in all future endeavours Drummo and I would love for you to stay with the club in some form or manner. perhaps as a kicking coach?:D Great bloke, great player!!

P.S. Drummond fits into that category of one of the players who joined just after the glory days and retired before we get more success. This likely means he will be forgotten by most people and it is sad. This is why I was so happy that Patfull won the Best and Fairest because he is in a similar position as Drummond.

Sad news but I kinda expected it which is weird. I will miss your super left boot and your stepping and tricks to get past players. Another true clubman we have lost. That is two Queenslanders gone now:( Stiller and Drummond both gone never to return. Anyway good luck in all future endeavours Drummo and I would love for you to stay with the club in some form or manner. perhaps as a kicking coach?:D Great bloke, great player!!

P.S. Drummond fits into that category of one of the players who joined just after the glory days and retired before we get more success. This likely means he will be forgotten by most people and it is sad. This is why I was so happy that Patfull won the Best and Fairest because he is in a similar position as Drummond.

No doubt Drummond was a gun. He would certainly have to rate right up there as one of the very best kicks in the league. As has been said so many times, his inability to string matches together cruelled his career and in the end brought a premature end to his career as a great player and club man. I thought Vossy's comments in this regard were very pointed...he was obviously a highly respected contributor to our "new" culture. His 3 Brownlow votes in the game against Adelaide captured him at his best and affirmed that we were always a better team when we had a fit Drummond in the side. I think his retirement call is timely and a good call.

Will be long be remembered for that cannon on the left side, but was also one of the most corageous defenders of his time, taking marks & hits with the pack descending on him.

Thanx for the memories Josh & all the best for the future. Will be at least a top asst. coach.

He lost much of his strength and agility after the knee reco, and his defensive game became a liability. His kicking skills were so good that they outweighed other weaknesses in his game. But it also meant he was vulnerable if he lost his touch. And this is what happened in the 2nd half of the year. He couldn't contribute much elsewhere while he tried to get his rhythm back, and he became a weakness in the team.

When he did his knee he was in career best form and was looking like a contender for an All Australian spot. The injury Gods were never kind to him, and just when it looked he might have a change in fortune, they took it to a whole new level.

Useless stat #463...out of 60+ rookie listed players in the club's history, beginning with Tate Day, Josh is the first to 'retire'.

In other useless rookie related stats, Robbie Copeland was the first to play 100 and is still the games leader with 143 and recent delistee, Cheynee Stiller, is the only other to play 100. Shame Josh was unable to join that duo, but probably the most influential of all our rookies.

See what being sick at home renders you to...

So sad that Drummo has been forced into retirement :( Certainly going to miss number 39 next season.

I believe he is looking at a coaching role at North - he's certainly got the smarts for it. Josh has been studying Sports Science/Coaching to set himself up for life after footy and I wish him every success whether with North or another club.

Josh Drummond 2012 End of Season Review
by WhiteLionFeva

2011 review

Senior games: 15
Goals: 3
Dreamteam: 927
Supercoach: 1018
Club Best and Fairest votes: 10

6710835801_e7571f3e65_z.jpg

Image (2012 preseason) courtesy of Mr Ripper

Josh Drummond - #39

This review regrettably has the flavour of a football obituary, with Josh Drummond having just announced his retirement from AFL football after 94 games and 9 seasons with the Lions.

Having been selected by the Lions as a mature age recruit in the 2003 rookie draft, “Drummo” quickly developed a reputation as one of the premier kicks in the AFL.

Reportedly nicknamed “The Surgeon” in the coaches box because of the precision with which he could propel the Sherrin, only injury prevented Josh Drummond from becoming one of the competition’s elite players and eventually led to his premature retirement from the game.

When one considers that several current players from the 2003 rookie draft have gone on to play in excess of 150 senior AFL games, the extent to which Josh’s AFL career has been soured by injury becomes starkly apparent.

Josh’s 2012 and last season was like a snapshot of his career, playing just 15 games of a possible 22, with game time interspersed with forced absences due predominantly to chronic hip and leg injuries. Indeed, in only one season with the Lions did Josh managed more than 15 games in a season. Significantly, that was in 2009 when he contributed in a major way to the Lions last finals appearance.

After off-season surgery on his troublesome hip and a slower than expected recovery, Drummond was sidelined for the opening two games of the 2012 season while being eased through two reserves games. He was then selected in the seniors for the third game of the season against Fremantle in Perth and gave supporters a timely reminder of what he can deliver. Although victory eluded the Lions, Drummond amassed 20 disposals on the wide-open spaces of Paterson’s Stadium and delivered them with characteristic accuracy and efficiency (90%) that the team had sorely missed in the first two games of the season.

There followed another 20 plus disposal game in the round 4 win over the Gold Coast. After missing the round six loss to the Bombers, Josh managed to take the field in 11 of the next 12 matches, including a best on ground performance (26 disposals, three goals, three Brownlow votes) in the spine tingling last gasp win over West Coast at the Gabba.

Then the injury curse reared its ugly head again. Picking up an injury in the round 19 loss to Richmond, he missed the two matches against Carlton and Adelaide before returning for the game against the Power. And despite the Lions winning a close, hard fought game against the Power in Adelaide, it was a less than memorable return for Drummond with just 3 possessions in a quarter of football after starting the game as sub and replacing Jordan Lisle at three quarter time.

Although selected for the final game of the season against the Bulldogs, in something of a snapshot of his career Josh was a late withdrawal from the team with a “virus” and ironically was replaced in the side by another 'about to be' AFL retiree, Amon Buchanan.

It is always sad to see a footballer retire before his time and more so when his career has been blighted by injury and illness as Josh Drummond's career was. But what Lions supporters will long remember are the 65 metre missiles delivered from backline to wing and the scythe-like passes straight to the chest of Jonathan Brown. His ability to propel the football with such power and precision set Drummond apart from the general run of AFL footballers and the Lions will be all the poorer as a result of his early retirement.

Thanks Josh for the enjoyment you have given us these last 9 years.

Link

NORTH Melbourne has bolstered its coaching panel by securing Josh Drummond as a development coach.

The former defender announced his retirement from the Brisbane Lions at the end of September after a hip injury prevented him from playing on.

“When I first pulled the pin on playing I came down to see Steve Saunders who is a bit of a hip guru,” Drummond said in Kangaroos statement.

“I came to get a bit of closure on where I was at and whether there was anything worth salvaging from a playing point of view. Once we came to the agreement that there probably wasn’t much to do, we spoke about the coaching thing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's done very well for himself Drummo. Good move putting a ring on it.

Kylie B tweeted a photo of them off on their journey to the wedding.....and a photo of the little man in his bow-tie ready for wedding...so cute:hearts:

Missing the grind

By Nick Bowen 9:37am AEDT Saturday, January 19, 2013

HEARING a player speak fondly of pre-season training can be as rare as a plot in a Police Academy movie. True, players accept the necessity of the off-season's gut-busting fitness work, but understandably few seem to relish the associated mental and physical pain. Recent retirees, including former Essendon vice-captain Mark McVeigh and ex-Brisbane Lions half-back Josh Drummond no longer have to put themselves through that pain. But McVeigh and Drummond are suffering withdrawal sypmtons as they sit out their first pre-seasons since retiring at the end of last season.

Similarly, Drummond, who played 94 games for the Lions from 2005-12 before joining North Melbourne as a development coach in November, said he missed the sense of achievement that came with surviving gruelling pre-season running sessions.

"As a group, to be able to knuckle down and get the work done without any complaints gave you a sense of pride," Drummond said. "Walking off buggered, you sensed those sessions were when you built trust and respect within the group."

Drummond went through some hard pre-season sessions at the Lions. He said the toughest included the boot camps during Leigh Matthews' coaching reign where the players had to train on little sleep, and the Lions' trek along the Kokoda Track in 2005, when Drummond was lucky to escape the severe foot blisters and rashes many of his teammates suffered.

Watching North's 2013 pre-season from inside the fence, Drummond said it had been evident in the past few seasons just how much teams were now focusing on running at game-like intensity over shorter repeat efforts, rather than the 30-40 minute runs that were the rage in his first three pre-seasons, 2004-06.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back