Past Josh Drummond (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

400k sounds about right, when he signed his last contract he was in All Australian form and looked like becoming one of the dominant half backs in the game.

200k plus game incentives now sounds better!

85 games in 7 years! he needs to take a pay cut and repay the club some money

Drummond would not have been on $400k for all of that time. Let's not forget that he started out as a rookie, at which time he would have been earning under $100k.

To suggest he needs to pay the club back is unwarranted. Drummond typically gives 100% when out on the field and is one of our most skilled and disciplined players. He would have been as disappointed as anyone with his injuries and inability to play over the last few years, so it's not as if he would just have been sitting on the sidelines enjoying a free ride. Likewise, it's not as if being injured was his fault.

A $400k straight up contract probably won't happen for Drummond again, given his age and injury history, but Acuguy's idea of a $200k base with performance based additions seems like a good idea.

Last week was the first time he showed some glimpses of his old self. Still has a long way to go but hoping to see further improvement today.
Yeah I 100% agree. He has started to string a few games together now and you can tell by watching him play that he is getting his confidence back every game. I no longer worry that he will get injured whenever he goes near the ball so that shows he is looking a lot more confident out there.

Round 10 vs West Coast

Jed Adcock (28 disposals) and Tom Rockliff with 27 in his 50th game were the most prolific ball-winners for the home team, but Drummond's 26 and three goals were decisive.

7325855732_e018747cd5.jpg

Link

Josh Drummond has spent so much of his career injured that, these days, he takes the field so swathed in tape and bandages that he could pass for a mummy. It’s taken a while for his confidence to return, but he played his best game for years yesterday, kicking three typically laser-like goals from outside 50 as a running defender.

7331341576_ae1d31b891.jpg

I could only listen to the game on the radio, but the commentator awarding the votes said Drummond was best on ground.

I could only listen to the game on the radio, but the commentator awarding the votes said Drummond was best on ground.

I know I'd be hardpressed to pick anyone else for it over him, especially for four quarters of effort.

This is the player we have been missing on a consistent basis for the past 5 years. Put him in for 22 games every year for the past 5 years and we are a much better side. Fantastic decision making skills and his actual kicking and hand balling is great. It makes me nervous at times watching him because he never just bombs it long he always hangs onto it until he finds a good target to dish it to either by hand or foot. At times this gets him in trouble but on the whole he is very good! I feel so safe whenever he gets the ball from about 60 metres out. I just know he is going to take a ping at the big sticks and kick the goal.

Him and Merrett really are All Australian standard defenders!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good coaching with Drummond today, big points for the coaches box. He seemed to start the game as a loose defender, was getting touches but wasn't really impacting the game, he was also getting caught out a bit defensively playing loose. Not sure when it happened, but change was made, Adcock took over as this loose man and Drummond seemed to play a bit further up the ground, only being back to help move the ball from defense.

Thought he was iffy early defensively, but got better and better as the game went on.

Looked to have gotten his confidence in his body back today as well and wasn't shirking the hard stuff by the end.

Drummonds back!

What I love is when he gets it he always takes 5 quick steps to find some space.

I believe preseason I was saying Drummo could be a key player for us this year... Couldn't find anyone to agree with me... ;)
Oh you genius Weevs! In all seriousness though that is like saying Rodger Federer could win the Australian Open a few days before it starts. Need to lift your game Weevil! You should take some lessons with Duritz to learn how to predict more difficult things:p

Everyone was telling me I was wrong shiny!
Well they are a tad silly aren't they. An injury free Drummond is an All Australian standard player. I think yesterdays performance proves that. Hopefully he makes it to the 100 games. If he stays un injured he will easily make that mark but that is definitely no certainty:(

Team of the week
Code:
B:    Rhyce Shaw        Luke McPharlin   Ted Richards
HB:  Jack Watts        Matt Maguire     Josh Drummond
C:    Dale Thomas      Jude Bolton     Rory Sloane
HF:  Hamish Hartlett  Lance Franklin   Steve Johnson
F:    Harry Taylor      Jack Riewoldt   Colin Garland
R:    Ivan Maric        Gary Ablett     Nathan Jones
I:    Sam Mitchell      Kieren Jack     Matthew Broadbent
S:    Josh Green

7344343984_eff855ee72.jpg

Free agency market watch
  • Jon Ralph
  • June 06, 2012 12:00AM
Josh Drummond is also a restricted free agent who would be hot property elsewhere, with the refresher on his talent given only last weekend. He kicks the ball like few others in the competition and plays that cliched "quarterback'' role as well as any in the competition.

7159222935_cb77a9d680.jpg

Best kicks in the AFL revealed
  • Glenn McFarlane
  • July 08, 2012 12:00AM

On the measurement for all players with 100 kicks or more, and based on the first 14 rounds, Eagle Shannon Hurn rates as a clear leader ahead of Brisbane Lion Josh Drummond, Geelong's Corey Enright, Collingwood pair Heath Shaw and Steele Sidebottom (below) and North Melbourne's Brent Harvey.

253446.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back