Past Josh Drummond (2004-2012)

Remove this Banner Ad

NEAFL Round 2 vs Broadbeach

Josh Drummond buoyed his chances of a return to the seniors with a free-running game across half-back, highlighted by a string of typically pinpoint kicks which ignited forays forward.

6888623642_6f1b76f421.jpg

Link

Josh Drummond got through a full game unscathed and did some very nice things to suggest a return to the AFL side is not far off.

Nathan Clarke

“Drummo also played a full game and got through really well. He should now be available for senior selection this week I would’ve thought.”

Michael Voss

"Drummo has probably another game to play. He's done heaps of pre-season now and he's got a couple of games under his belt, so we'd expect him to be a strong consideration for next week."

6385692151_0946233323.jpg

photo courtesy of Jorgo

I wouldn't have thought Subiaco being such a big ground would be best for Drummo's return. Maybe the Suns in round 4.

Perhaps they will want his kicking because it is a large ground. Subi is a funny shaped ground isn't it ? It's a lot longer than it is wide, especially compared to other grounds. Might actually help out kick outs having his laser kicks finding someone in the middle of the ground.

NEAFL Round 3 vs UWS Giants

The other message for Voss came from senior defender Josh Drummond. He got through his third comeback game following off-season injury problems and Clarke had no hesitation in declaring him ready for AFL football.

“Drummo did a good job defensively and although he didn’t get a lot of the footy he got through fine and he’s ready for senior footy,” Clarke said.

7034706705_9fdce7a3d2.jpg

Nathan Clarke

Meanwhile, experienced defender Josh Drummond once again showed that he is close to a senior recall.

“Drummo got through again and is a really good chance to play this week at Subiaco. What he does is elite and has proven that he can play at that level. I’m sure the senior boys would love to have him running out of defence and pin-pointing some 60m daisy-cutters onto their chest.”

Video: Brett Burton

How have the guys who had their first run in the seniors pulled up?

Drummo pulled up really well. He usually cramps, but he got through the game well.

drummond36.jpg

Who's hot

Brisbane had few winners last week but running backman Josh Drummond made a welcome return to the senior side. In his first game of the season, Drummond collected 20 touches and had 11 marks with his trademark kicking a key to the Lions' forward thrusts.

drummond35.jpg

Josh Drummond

"I felt like the first couple of weeks I've improved. The weekend's disappointing night, as for the group, I certainly wasn't happy with the way I played. I think it does take time, especially when I've only played 14 games the last two years," Drummond said.

"Occasionally you think you'll come back and it'll be a flick of a switch and it'll all happen but the game's a lot quicker now and certainly a lot of it's changed. A lot of it's stayed the same but it's good to be back out there and working on things to improve."

drummond36.jpg

Three changes for Lions
6:25 PM Thu 03 May, 2012

Making way for the returning trio are Andrew Raines (suspended), Josh Drummond (general soreness) and Sam Sheldon (omitted). Drummond, 29, has played in each of the team’s past three senior matches, with his workload expected to be carefully managed throughout the season.

drummond35.jpg

Managing players critical: Voss
5:04 PM Fri 04 May, 2012

“The fact is with Josh, he hasn’t been able to get a lot of continuity in his football over the course of a fairly long time. So we have to be fairly smart with how we manage him.”

“He was a little bit sore last week coming into the game and pulled up a bit sore after the game. Part of our plan for him was to try and get 17-18 games into him this year, rather than thinking we’ll get 20 games.”

“That’s been our primary focus and that plan’s been in place for a while. The most difficult challenge for us is to make sure we see it through,” he said.

“We had to make sure we looked after him.”

drummond17.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Really missed him today. Hopefully he's set for a big game against the 'pies.

I want to stay: Drummond
By Michael Whiting
10:19 AM Fri 01 Jun, 2012

"I'd love to finish my career as a one-club player and a Brisbane Lions player," Drummond said.

"I definitely love playing for the footy club and I'd love to be part of the future"

Drummond said after missing a chunk of the pre-season it was the little things he found hardest to regain.

Things like strength in the contest and keeping his feet took the longest to return.

"I sort of feel like a young player again, just a lot of little things to work on and get back to playing consistent football," Drummond said.

"I feel like I'm slowly building but a long way to go."

7312577204_9b6d700bfb.jpg

His kicking is as good as ever, but unfortunately he seems to have gotten a little gun-shy when it comes to putting the worn and torn body on the line.

Perhaps understandably with his work history.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back