Judd the Super Sub

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
Judd missing the first two games due to Achilles injury but expected to resume playing by Round 3 match against Essendon on April 6.

On that basis I have a proposal I think Mick should consider : Judd the Super Sub

Reasons:
1 - high impact player that could ensure we finish off games with a clearance advantage
2 - coming back from an injury we could manage his minutes and the injury - we can't have him turn into carrots of 2013
3 - when have we really ever had someone that could be classed a Super Sub
4 - didn't think I would say this ever but with an interchange cap and shoulders that limit his ability to mark up forward - this might be the way we get 2 to 3 yrs out of him rather then leave before our window opens up

Comments?

I am sorry but if anyone in our team needs to be eased back through the subs vest then they are not 100% fit and should not be playing, Judd included.
Fair call - pretty sure that most guys aren't 100% though - maybe the sheepdogs playing bruise free footy might be but Mick tends to not play or recruit too many of them!
Any thoughts on whether it could be used to prelong his career or the other point I made regarding us actually using the sub to advantage rather then as insurance?

Fair call - pretty sure that most guys aren't 100% though - maybe the sheepdogs playing bruise free footy might be but Mick tends to not play or recruit too many of them!
Any thoughts on whether it could be used to prelong his career or the other point I made regarding us actually using the sub to advantage rather then as insurance?
It could prolong his career but I suspect it would be a tough pill for a champion of the game to swallow and he will, like most champions would prefer to retire then be used in that way.

If they cannot contribute at a level that is satisfying to them then I cannot see them hanging around.

As a club we would be better off not having highly paid players playing as a "super sub".

We made mistakes back in the early 2000's by hanging onto players who were well past their best and started to pay them under the table instead of introducing more youth through drafting or strategic trading.

To use the sub to advantage is great but that will be a week by week decision depending on the oppositions strengths and weaknesses.

I think Hawthorn do it better then most, they usually play an extra tall in their ruck or forward line department and sub one of them out late in the game when more running is required and players are getting fatigued. Often they sub a ruck for a midfielder and let Hale and Roughy finish off the game rotating in the ruck whilst resting forward.

Good way to beat the bombers if the game is tight coming down the home stretch though.
Doubt he'd do it every week,but to ease him back in,yes I agree for rnd 3.
Thoroughbreds like Juddy see colours and hear crowds and wanna run and win.
It is his last year!!,so get out and see the great man as he is no Rolling Stone:thumbsu::rainbow:.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely could be a useful ploy, though I agree it's maybe a season too early to give him that role full-time. The first few weeks back maybe. Not just to manage his return but to try and have him fit and peaking at the pointy end of the season, rather than burning out too soon.
Geelong were doing it with Chappy and it seemed to work for them. (Erm... then they delisted him of course. :rolleyes:)

Champ that he is, I'm sure Juddy would see the strategic logic in it, rather than see it as a slight.

Good way to beat the bombers if the game is tight coming down the home stretch though.
Doubt he'd do it every week,but to ease him back in,yes I agree for rnd 3.
Thoroughbreds like Juddy see colours and hear crowds and wanna run and win.
It is his last year!!, so get out and see the great man as he is no Rolling Stone:thumbsu::rainbow:.

Great post, but please don't say that!! :(

Nope, the sub should always be the 22nd best player. The whole 'super sub' concept is just a bit overblown I think. The fact is you want your better players having more time on ground.

TBH I think this will be Judd's last season.

Think he'll go one more - finish in 2015.
He's only 30, so you'd think he get his body through one more preseason.

As for the OP, we may look at doing this against some of the poorer teams, but against Essendon* he should start.

Think he'll go one more - finish in 2015.
He's only 30, so you'd think he get his body through one more preseason.

As for the OP, we may look at doing this against some of the poorer teams, but against Essendon* he should start.

Can't see this backfiring :oops:

Personally I think Judd will retire unless we have a really good year. He doesn't need the money and his body is battered enough already.

Can't see this backfiring :oops:

Personally I think Judd will retire unless we have a really good year. He doesn't need the money and his body is battered enough already.

You hear alot of players say that you're a long time retired, so I don't think he'll pull the pin too early.
Doubt he's go past 2015, but i'd be a little shocked if he retired at the end of this season.
You only have to look at his 3rd quarter against Richmond to see that his best is still very very good.

TBH I think this will be Judd's last season.

I'm inclined to agree unfortunately.

There's one thing for sure: Judd won't be one to play on if he is limited to the sub vest. He will not be one of those players who plays on 1 year too long - if the downhill trend continues this year, then I can't see Juddy wanting to play on. And that's not potting him - he's just not the type of guy who will play on if he feels he isn't able to contribute.

Nope, the sub should always be the 22nd best player. The whole 'super sub' concept is just a bit overblown I think. The fact is you want your better players having more time on ground.

Exactly. A lot of people seem to overlook what happens if you lose a player in the first? Sub has to play most of the game. Therefore there is no point ever bringing in an underdone player as the sub - because knowing our luck if we were to do it someone would go down in the opening minutes.

Judd will play 1 more year.
Toad - you maybe correct, but is that one more year 2014 or is it one more year after this year (2015)?

Lots have been said that he came back to be closer to family and friends, some may argue that West Coast burnt their bridges with the drugs issues as well. But I have a theory, or it might just be a wish, that he is too professional to be satisfied with just getting the Blue Baggers back into finals.

2014 is the first year in a decade I can honestly say we have what appears to be the right mix of veterans, stars and up and coming youngsters combined with depth that is required to be top 4. Everyone's Achilles heel (pun intended) is injuries and I hope our apparent poor start in that area is not a sign for 2014 but we have to manage Judd and other veterans if our window is to stay open and climbed through in the next 3 yrs (prior to GC and GWS taking a stranglehold).

On that basis I believe - Judd and Carrots should be utilised on their returns as the sub to provide ball winning ability and experience late in games when the heat is on. Unlike the Cats management of their veterans in years past rather than rest maybe sub out early or sub them in late, to manage any lack of depth. Why - maybe Judd, maybe one of the others are best 22 but whats the point of burning them out for 2014 finals or not having them for 2015 when we need the veterans on the list to be serious contenders.

Judd would be a hell of a weapon to release late in a game but I think you want him out there for a bit longer. Judd tends to work in short bursts more, goes hard for 10 and comes off, has an ability to recover quickly. Not sure how he would go as a sub because of this. Generally want the sub to be a quick player who can play midfield and kick goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back