Jules Bianchi Incident

Remove this Banner Ad

Just watched it too. Evening knowing the end result was not expecting it to be that brutal.

Really is amazing he's still alive. Also very very lucky no one else was hurt or likely killed.

Most people offering their opinions are unaware that at low speeds wet tires don't have enough heat in them to maintain grip or saftey.

Bianchis prang was a freak of nature thing, they were only a few seconds away from there being nothing there. Once upon a time commentators use to brag about how quick marshals were in removing cars. Sutil had been following Bianchi, when Sutil went off. So we're looking at 2 minute window. I doubt race control had the time to properly evaluate the situation before Bianchis prang. Sutils car was right by a marshal entry exit point.

When Sutil pranged race control were probably heavily involved in deciding weather or not to stop the race as a result of the rain increasing.

Probably the most to come out of this will delegation of responsibility amongst race control when various things are going on, perhaps more responibilty to the head marshal of every crew. There's a few very lucky marshals out there.

The problem is it was dark, it was wet and sutil had already slid off so was always a chance someone would do the same. Whether safety car being out or not would have stopped it who knows but it just had to be out, other cars would have passed as the marshalls were at more risk so given Sutil said he couldn't see the water that made him go off its extremely lucky the end result wasn't worse. At least the dark days of f1 are gone, they won't ignore this like they used to and will no doubt make changes, hopefully like allowing race control the ability to shift start times.

Why the **** is the marshall still waving the green flag, even AFTER the Bianchi crash?
Should be double waved yellow!!!
The crash didn't happen in his section of the track, so he's required to wave a green flag to let the drivers know they're clear to race again once they've passed the accident. He is only authorised to wave a yellow flag if race control calls for the safety car, which eventually happened.

And Bianchis prang was different to Sutils. Appeared a totaly different incident with the speed and direction bianchi had, compared to Sutil.

I thought webber was lucky when his car literally flew upside down a few seasons ago but this is just unbelievable... it is frightening to think that at some stage he may have thought that he was going to die and maybe ducked a little in the cockpit-could have saved his life

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seeing the video is breathtaking, it is truly horrific. I just can't see that any barrier/padding or whatever around the tractor would've helped, he was travelling so fast. I think the only thing that could have helped is if somehow the accident could be avioded in the first place (safety car, slow zones, etc) but even the drivers appear split on whether that is possible. I don't really care if Bianchi's career is over, I just hope his life isn't.

Watched the video earlier today, wow..
One of the more remarkable images/videos that I have ever seen.

Thoughts with Bianchi and his family. Potentially a lot of what ifs with what happened, a second here all there and the tractor may have been forward or back and it could have been may worse for the marshals. Whether it was mechanical or track conditions with the design of the track you'd reckon it's very unusual to go in at that angle/manner. With the speed carried I think that the even taking the tractor out of the equation any impact with the wall or what was behind it if he went through the gap may have been just as bad. A sad and unfortunate day.

just saw the video on the news.

Only thing that could be changed to prevent such an accident, is to have a deeper runoff area. The sand/gravel trap or whatever its called doesnt seem to do a thing. IMO the sand/gravel traps are neither here nor there. They allow formula 1 cars to skate across the top, which is good if the driver is in control and can steer safely back on to the track to continue the race. But their primary use surely should be to quickly slow the car down to a stop to prevent a horrific accident like what Bianchi has suffered.

If F1 cars run off the road and become completely bogged in quick time then so be it. Better to have a few more retirements from driver error than to have a young bloke suffer serious head injury or die.

just saw the video on the news.

Only thing that could be changed to prevent such an accident, is to have a deeper runoff area. The sand/gravel trap or whatever its called doesnt seem to do a thing. IMO the sand/gravel traps are neither here nor there. They allow formula 1 cars to skate across the top, which is good if the driver is in control and can steer safely back on to the track to continue the race. But their primary use surely should be to quickly slow the car down to a stop to prevent a horrific accident like what Bianchi has suffered.

If F1 cars run off the road and become completely bogged in quick time then so be it. Better to have a few more retirements from driver error than to have a young bloke suffer serious head injury or die.
Been saying it for a while. They talk about paved run offs for safety, but if you go off at speed you're heading straight for the wall at basically the same speed you went off.

Sutil lost the backend.Bianchi looks like he might've had some failure by the speed he went in at.
My opinion but, I think it could of been him over correcting his car after he would of felt it get away from him. The wet compacting kitty litter would of, instead of slowing him down, just made him keep his speed as he skips along the hard sand.

Rarely have I been purely disturbed by an accident. I quite literally jumped out of my seat when I saw the video.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back