Jumper clash fails

Remove this Banner Ad

Watch the Geelong game - they're home and wear white shorts v a Navy team - looks so much better.

Making any team wear white shorts v Roos is ridiculous.

If blue shorts mean that much to you, have a predominantly blue based home jumper.

Roos are the only club that think shorts are sacred.

The thing I don’t get though is that North could wear their blue and we could wear navy and there’d be no clash issues. North don’t even need to compromise unless it’s West Coast if the AFL allowed this like they used to.

Why? It's our home strip. Adelaide in white was fine, as would their home kit. No clash.
It's even worse given when Geelong is the home team (as proven by today's game), the same rules does not apply to the cats. The AFL could at least be consistent with it but no.

North insist on Blue shorts in their home strip. It's their home match, blue shorts is their home strip, that's what they play in. It's up to the match-day opposition and the AFL to ensure the opposing team doesn't wear white shorts.

In contrast, Geelong are happy to wear white shorts in a home match. And I think it looks mint by the way.

I don't see why North be told what their home strip should contain. Many other sports worldwide have famous teams with different coloured shorts to their jerseys/shirts in their home strip. The Leagues adapt.

In this regard, the AFL is archaic.

North insist on Blue shorts in their home strip. It's their home match, blue shorts is their home strip, that's what they play in. It's up to the match-day opposition and the AFL to ensure the opposing team doesn't wear white shorts.

In contrast, Geelong are happy to wear white shorts in a home match. And I think it looks mint by the way.

I don't see why North be told what their home strip should contain. Many other sports worldwide have famous teams with different coloured shorts to their jerseys/shirts in their home strip. The Leagues adapt.

In this regard, the AFL is archaic.

No issue with North wearing blue, but clubs should be able to wear navy or black against them.

And back to normal transmission, dark vs dark tonight when there is a white guernsey available.

Tomorrow night will be shit too.

I was wrong, the new leaders are as clueless as the old ones.

And back to normal transmission, dark vs dark tonight when there is a white guernsey available.

Tomorrow night will be s**t too.

Tomorrow night will be dark v white though.

Port having black front and white back will always give them a fighting chance of a clash.

Nope, Collingwood are the away team so it’ll be the perfect contrast.

Nope, Collingwood are the away team so it’ll be the perfect contrast.

The idea that the away team should wear white shorts needs to end. Just make it whatever works.

White base with black stripes was our strip until Eddie changed it to black with white stripes. By doing that we created issues when playing Ess, Carlton, Richmond, Dees and Saints.

Whenever we play those teams, whether it’s home or away, we should wear white kit with white shorts and they wear black/navy shorts so there is no clash. When we play Geelong or North if they wear white shorts and us the black kit there is no clash and they don’t have to wear some terrible clash kit, everyone gets to wear their classic/original guernsey.

Forget the idea of home and away kits, don’t call them that, call them clash kits.

Last edited:
The world just feels right when the Pies are in white...

Looks better, helps contrast.

Wish they'd adopt it as their preferred kit and just bring out the blacker one for the handful of away games needed. (North, Geel & Syd)

Interested to know if any other Pies fans around here prefer the whiter strip?

Zero issue with the white strip and white shorts, we should wear it more often regardless if it’s a home game or not. ANZAC day and Kings birthday we should be wearing it every year.

The concept that you are weak and give the opposition a win when you wear white shorts for your home game is childish. Grow up, the game is won on the field not by what colour shorts you wear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The idea that the away team should wear white shorts needs to end. Just make it whatever works.

White base with black stripes was our strip until Eddie changed it to black with white stripes. By doing that we created issues when playing Ess, Carlton, Richmond, Dees and Saints.

Whenever we play those teams, whether it’s home or away, we should wear white kit with white shorts and they wear black/navy shorts so there is no clash. When we play Geelong or North if they wear white shorts and us the black kit there is no clash and they don’t have to wear some terrible clash kit, everyone gets to wear their classic/original guernsey.

Forget the idea of home and away kits. Just whatever works.
This, this and this.

I was impressed last Sat night that someone had the common sense to tell Geelong to wear white shorts and Carlton navy even though it was Geelong’s home game.
And yet...

You had another white team (North) vs another navy team (Adelaide).

Guess who wore the white shorts 🙄

Forget the idea of home and away kits, don’t call them that, call them clash kits.

Principles and guidelines are required, otherwise you need to compromise. Compromise works in a relationship, but it doesn't in a performance-based environment with 18 teams.

Well done on Geelong wearing the all-white strip. Thing is, it is still unmistakingly Geelong, it looks ****ing classy and mint, and probably the most significant reason for the club - they won 2007, 2009, and 2011 GF's in it! All-white is part of their winning heritage.

The issue in the AFL is that there is no documented policy about match-day strips. It changes on a whim to suit the match-day fixture. It's as though the AFL themselves want the old firm VFL clubs in traditional kits. Shithouse!

Principles and guidelines are required, otherwise you need to compromise. Compromise works in a relationship, but it doesn't in a performance-based environment with 18 teams.

Well done on Geelong wearing the all-white strip. Thing is, it is still unmistakingly Geelong, it looks ******* classy and mint, and probably the most significant reason for the club - they won 2007, 2009, and 2011 GF's in it! All-white is part of their winning heritage.

The issue in the AFL is that there is no documented policy about match-day strips. It changes on a whim to suit the match-day fixture. It's as though the AFL themselves want the old firm VFL clubs in traditional kits. Shithouse!
This is exactly right which is why ive said i think away team only wearing an away or clash kit should be implemented.

The compromise thing is fine if it worked but it seems there are rules for some and rules for others.

Blanket rule, you dont wear your home kit if youre the away team. Ill bet teams would be much more focused on eliminating the clash then.

This is exactly right which is why ive said i think away team only wearing an away or clash kit should be implemented.

The compromise thing is fine if it worked but it seems there are rules for some and rules for others.

Blanket rule, you dont wear your home kit if youre the away team. Ill bet teams would be much more focused on eliminating the clash then.
But if there's no genuine clash then home kit shouldn't be an issue

Well done on Geelong wearing the all-white strip. Thing is, it is still unmistakingly Geelong, it looks ******* classy and mint, and probably the most significant reason for the club - they won 2007, 2009, and 2011 GF's in it! All-white is part of their winning heritage.

Just as long as the AFL doesn’t make Geelong play a home final in front of 95,000 fans again and they crack the shits…

I agree with pretty much everything you've said. But I do remember hearing Eddie on a podcast with Jimmy Bartel saying the Pies should be wearing white against Carlton in all games (And you'd think if anyone in footy circles had enough clout to influence this, it would've been Eddie) So something doesn't quite add up in that regard....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back