Junior retirement - the correct decision?

Remove this Banner Ad

Whilst it's probably the right time, I've gone with 'bad call' cause I don't like the idea of a 250 game veteran and captain of the club being shown the door. It's a bit of a slap in the face.
Still, the individual is not bigger than the club yada yada, need that spot to upgrade our rookie tackling machine with the same initials.

Whilst it's probably the right time, I've gone with 'bad call' cause I don't like the idea of a 250 game veteran and captain of the club being shown the door. It's a bit of a slap in the face.
Still, the individual is not bigger than the club yada yada, need that spot to upgrade our rookie tackling machine with the same initials.

Well if the rumour that Bruce signed with GC is true that spot is already free'd up. One problem i see is the leadership side of things, who will step up and take a spot in the leadership group?

Yep.

Sad to see a club legend like him go, but I think it's the right time. Tough decision to make by the club, but one that had to be made.

Congratulations to Junior on a magnificent career, he'll be long remembered by all Melbourne fans as a courageous and committed player who gave his all for the club.

Just out of interest what was your/everyones stance regarding White, Yze, Robbo ect. If we look back to that time I bet there are a few here who have taken this in a different light to those retirements.

JM was the last of the pre 2000 players to go, I will miss him & don't know if I wanted him to be shown the door just yet but he will not play in a premiership for us.

For leadership I hope he remains a presence around the club.

100% good call.

With all of our young talent coming through, there could have been the very awkward situation of our captain playing out the year at Casey in 2011. He has been a great servant of the MFC, but we saw this year that his body was starting to fail him and even though he's still playing good footy, there's no guarentees that would continue into next year. Just look at Brad Johnson, superstar in 2009, needs a walking frame less than 12 months on.

Similar to the Ben Cousins situation as well. A tough, but fair call.

Also it could mean someone like Tom McNamara is spared the chop, which could pay dividends...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

would love to see him stick around the club as a development coach, but Good call.

With Junior retiring and if Bruce heads to the Suns... will we have a younger average age then a startup franchise next year?

Yes, No, Maybe,
I don't know,
Can you repeat the question?

You're not the boss of me!

I think maybe leaning to good call.

Great player and great leader but I would really hate to see him struggle on the injury list or get games based on sentiment/the captaincy.

I think it had to be done if we were going to be true to Deans call that we need to get games into the kids. It might cause us an issue or two next year but will pay off in 2012 and that is when these calls will really matter.

Long term - good call, for the good of the team. I just hope that there is no bitterness and that he will stay on at the club in some sort of coaching capacity... "tackling coach"?:D

Short term - a little dis-heartened hearing that it was not his decision tbh.

A harsh call, but a good call.

No one wants to see there captain struggling to get a game and playing in the reserves. That was a distinct possibility next year. No player is bigger than the club, and i believe this is a call with the clubs future in mind. I'm sure Connoly and Bailey had long discussions over this, but Junior of all people should understand that the clubs interests comes first.

Not only does it free up a spot on our senior list for Jordie McKenzie, but it will enable a whole new bunch of leaders to take our kids into the future. Sylvia, Moloney and Davey will surely be the three to lead our young team to the promised land, unfortunately Junior was not going to be there. As a member of this club, I'm comfortable with the decision...

A harsh call, but a good call.

No one wants to see there captain struggling to get a game and playing in the reserves. That was a distinct possibility next year. No player is bigger than the club, and i believe this is a call with the clubs future in mind. I'm sure Connoly and Bailey had long discussions over this, but Junior of all people should understand that the clubs interests comes first.

Not only does it free up a spot on our senior list for Jordie McKenzie, but it will enable a whole new bunch of leaders to take our kids into the future. Sylvia, Moloney and Davey will surely be the three to lead our young team to the promised land, unfortunately Junior was not going to be there. As a member of this club, I'm comfortable with the decision...

Not to start a debate here, because as I said above, I do think it is the right decision for the long-term good of the club, but the bolded text is a fairly weak argument on the club's behalf that would have been very easy to avoid by picking a new captain for next year!

Not to start a debate here, because as I said above, I do think it is the right decision for the long-term good of the club, but the bolded text is a fairly weak argument on the club's behalf that would have been very easy to avoid by picking a new captain for next year!
stfu28ce.png

Well if the rumour that Bruce signed with GC is true that spot is already free'd up. One problem i see is the leadership side of things, who will step up and take a spot in the leadership group?

Sylvia is now ready for that responsibility. Just needed a spot to free up for him in the group. He slots in perfectly

From a purely business point of view I think in the end if Bruce stays it is the right call. I say this because Green can be added to the veterans list this year as long as one of Bruce or Macca leave, which would free up half his current salary to do more front-loading of contracts. I think this strategy is crucial to getting any kind of sustained success.

From a football point of view he may have had another year in him, but I'm glad at least he won't have to spend time in the VFL/have to retire midseason like Robbo, Yze, White & the Ox did.

Did anyone else have a dream where Jordie McKenzie laid 39 tackles in one game?

Good call, but unfortunate call :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back