Universal Love Kane Cornes' book

Remove this Banner Ad

So the vibe I'm picking up is that everyone on the Cornes side of the fence = good. Everyone on the other side of the fence = bad. Sounds like classic Cornes. Think I'll pass.

This is also a feeling I have. There are many facets to a diamond, this is just one, although I would trust Kane's word more than some others, emotions have a habit of hiding other truths

This is also a feeling I have. There are many facets to a diamond, this is just one, although I would trust Kane's word more than some others, emotions have a habit of hiding other truths

Kane seems to have many good qualities as a person but I doubt he'd be able to write such a memoir without raw emotion and a skewed take on everything taking a major role in his re-telling of history. The fact Mark Williams apparently comes across as an almost God-like figure, despite his shortcomings, is evidence of this. The fact Kane apparently doesn't own up to the part he played in the problems also speaks volumes.
There's two sides to every story and this is clearly Kane's side and Kane's side only. An unprejudiced fly on the wall re-telling would be far more interesting and revealing.

Kane seems to have many good qualities as a person but I doubt he'd be able to write such a memoir without raw emotion and a skewed take on everything taking a major role in his re-telling of history. The fact Mark Williams apparently comes across as an almost God-like figure, despite his shortcomings, is evidence of this. The fact Kane apparently doesn't own up to the part he played in the problems also speaks volumes.
There's two sides to every story and this is clearly Kane's side and Kane's side only. An unprejudiced fly on the wall re-telling would be far more interesting and revealing.
Agree - but at the same time, any side of the story is more revealing than no side of the story.

I agree it would be more interesting, but it also wouldn't be a Kane Cornes autobiography.

Someone going through an interviewing all the protagonists in our down period would absolutely be interesting to the people that frequent these parts but I'm not sure it's got the hook for the general Port population.

As long as readers go in with eyes open, it should be a good read.

It's probably worth remembering that this book is Kane's version of the truth.

As honest and forthright as he is, he doesn't have access to all the information about those dark days and there's more than likely a glossing over of some of the cultural issues that gave the board the need to exert influence over the playing list for the long term good of the club.

Whether you agreed with their approach or not, something needed to be done to break the cycle. Sometimes pain is required before things can be repaired.

Yep. Have to question the leadership of the players who didn't step up and promote culture improvements. Can't say they didn't know anything was wrong. I wonder if Kane himself spoke up.

Bad times, fish rots from the head and embarrassing to look back.

We have real people in charge now...............Primus- how did that appointment occur, incompetence.

We were so bad, Andy D took over which was a good thing

Hail Koch and Kenny

(Log in to remove this ad.)

geez it would have been nice if they could have done it a little closer to game time..
if i wanted to get it signed i wouldnt wanna wait around for 3 hours before the game
A quick signature and then GDV

Ken Hinkley has proven how utterly incompetent in every facet Primus was as a coach.

We are very lucky Boak, Trengove, Gray, Hartlett, Westhoff, Broadbent, Carlile, Logan, Stewart, and the retirees of Cassisi and Cornes stuck fat and weathered such a colossal * up and we are beginning to see the improvement.

Because we wouldn't still be here today without what Keith Thomas, David Koch and Ken Hinkley have done for us.

At the end of the day, people expecting a completely unbiased, objective account of the teams dark days are going to be disappointed. This is an autobiography, not a tell-all account written by an objective observer who's gone and interviewed numerous players, coaches, board members, people involved with the club at the time etc. I hope someone does do it one day, would make a great story especially if we get our fairytale finish with an eventual premiership win, but this book is not that, it's one mans completely biased and subjective take.

of course you're not going to hear both sides of the story, you're going to hear Kane's side, that means some people who he felt were more to blame will cop it (Primus) and those whose flaws he was blind to because he considered them good mates (choco) will get off lightly. just go into it remembering that and I'm sure it'd still be an insightful read.

I thi
At the end of the day, people expecting a completely unbiased, objective account of the teams dark days are going to be disappointed. This is an autobiography, not a tell-all account written by an objective observer who's gone and interviewed numerous players, coaches, board members, people involved with the club at the time etc. I hope someone does do it one day, would make a great story especially if we get our fairytale finish with an eventual premiership win, but this book is not that, it's one mans completely biased and subjective take.

of course you're not going to hear both sides of the story, you're going to hear Kane's side, that means some people who he felt were more to blame will cop it (Primus) and those whose flaws he was blind to because he considered them good mates (choco) will get off lightly. just go into it remembering that and I'm sure it'd still be an insightful read.
i think all people are saying is that Primus was totally inexperienced, unqualified, ill prepared, not disciplined, no idea how to be a AFL coach.

The board and CEO are totally accountable when they ran "the process". How can anyone disagree with that incompetence?

I thi

i think all people are saying is that Primus was totally inexperienced, unqualified, ill prepared, not disciplined, no idea how to be a AFL coach.

The board and CEO are totally accountable when they ran "the process". How can anyone disagree with that incompetence?

lol m8 you are about as subtle as port always.

If you're going to rag on Haysman and Duncanson just get straight to it. :footy:

Ken Hinkley has proven how utterly incompetent in every facet Primus was as a coach.

We are very lucky Boak, Trengove, Gray, Hartlett, Westhoff, Broadbent, Carlile, Logan, Stewart, and the retirees of Cassisi and Cornes stuck fat and weathered such a colossal **** up and we are beginning to see the improvement.

Because we wouldn't still be here today without what Keith Thomas, David Koch and Ken Hinkley have done for us.

Honestly, that Jacko re-signing as first cab off the rank is looking more legendary as time passes.

We are very lucky Boak, Trengove, Gray, Hartlett, Westhoff, Broadbent, Carlile, Logan, Stewart, and the retirees of Cassisi and Cornes stuck fat and weathered such a colossal **** up and we are beginning to see the improvement.

Yeah nah.
KT, Koch and Hinkley had money to play with thanks to the people before them.

Mark Haysman deserves kudos for bringing the dire stadium deal into the public arena for the first time, but overall I think we think a lot more fondly of him than he probably deserves

Mark Haysman copped an absolute serve from both Chad and Kane on Open Mike tonight. Don't think either are quite over that whole episode yet.

That seems consistent with the book. There's no doubt he was in their gun. That being said he seems to interact with other players still, so perhaps there's an element of personal to it .... Albeit, some of what Kane wrote could only come from choco.
Did they merge him and Duncanson into the same entity ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back