News Karmichael Hunt NEWS

Remove this Banner Ad

I read on FB (super reliable, I know) that he was basically just getting it for some friends, but the amount he 'supplied' during each encounter was minimal. Drugs are drugs (and drugs are bad, mmmkay), but the media are jumping to conclusions. I even saw a reporter call him a drug smuggler LOL
Cant be half pregnant, if he has supplied coke on several occasions he is a drug dealer and will do time.

I just feel sorry for the guy who brought Kmac's boots after he kicked the winning goal :p

IIRC the money went to charity, so can still feel pretty good about it. Also, no amount of drug charges will ever erase how incredibly hilarious that moment in football history was. lol @ Richmont4ever

IIRC the money went to charity, so can still feel pretty good about it. Also, no amount of drug charges will ever erase how incredibly hilarious that moment in football history was. lol @ Richmont4ever

LOL True and my post was just in tounge and cheek really :p I still remember prior to the game predicting we would win and the poster uploaded the boots he brought after the game...

LOL True and my post was just in tounge and cheek really :p I still remember prior to the game predicting we would win and the poster uploaded the boots he brought after the game...

I aint even mad. In fact I got the chance to add to my shrine!

11004503_10152575737682191_2106326699_n.jpg

Barrett is a ******* useless flog. Has absolutely no idea about anything AFL related. His 'scoops' are either stolen from somebody else, or are completely made up.

His 5 months of being forced into the media wilderness is obviously taking a toll on him so he's found something to chime in about.

It's not an AFL matter, Barrett, you *face - it's a police matter. A LEGAL matter. Eat a dick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barrett is a ******* useless flog. Has absolutely no idea about anything AFL related. His 'scoops' are either stolen from somebody else, or are completely made up.

His 5 months of being forced into the media wilderness is obviously taking a toll on him so he's found something to chime in about.

It's not an AFL matter, Barrett, you ****face - it's a police matter. A LEGAL matter. Eat a dick.
Wasn't it Barrett that completely got the facts wrong in the Geelong case too? Useless flog.

In the news, That Hunt poster isn't going viral nearly quickly enough, That's too shelf photoshoppery

On mobile but don't have link, but Badel said Suns players were among those under surveillance, with further charges to be laid. Also said up to 7 additional Titans players were implicated.

The ONLY guy who seems to be reporting that there are Suns players involved is the Courier Mail NRL writer. Even the report on Fox Sports just then said they've been able to confirm all details except the Suns' involvement.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...822337ca5006cac2274ea4bd#.VOfR6bz-Z5g.twitter

Karmichael Hunt was under contract to AFL and Suns last year

The Australian
February 21, 2015 12:00AM

SO, which code did Karmichael Hunt bring into disrepute, rugby or AFL?

That sounds a flippant question. It’s not. Indeed, it may become the most serious question of all in the coming weeks and days as the Queensland Reds and the Australian Rugby Union attempt to deal with the fallout of Hunt being served with a Notice to Appear in Court to face four counts of arranging for the supply of cocaine for personal use or to on-supply to friends and colleagues.

It would have been simpler to have said that he had been “charged with four counts etc” but in fact that hasn’t happened. The Queensland Crime and Corruption Commission is not the Queensland Police Service and it does things differently. So Hunt and the three other people — two of them reportedly Gold Coast Titans NRL players — who will face related charges in the Southport Magistrates Court on March 5 were not arrested, handcuffed and taken down to the local police station to be charged late on Thursday.

They were instead served with a Notice to Appear in Court. In terms of the general effect, that’s the same as being charged except that, technically, it’s different. At some point Hunt and the others will have to present themselves at the local police station at which point their details will formally be entered into the justice system but until that happens then it cannot be said they have been charged. It’s a hairsplitting differentiation but one that dictates how the Reds and the ARU proceed from here.

If Hunt protests his innocence, then it’s going to get very complicated. A Code of Conduct hearing can’t be held until charges are laid and heard, and the Reds, though they have stood him down for tonight’s match against the Western Force, might be obligated to keep selecting him in the interim or stand accused of denying him natural justice.

But the real hairsplitting could take another form entirely.

According to the QRU’s press statement released late yesterday, the alleged offences took place between September 1 and October 3 last year.

At that time, Hunt was under contract to the AFL and the Gold Coast Suns. Although Hunt joined the Reds for pre-season training on November 24, his contract with the ARU-QRU did not commence until January 1.

In other words, no offence — that we or the CCC are aware of — occurred while Hunt was under contract to rugby. Indeed, just the opposite. They fall entirely within the period he was employed by the Suns, with the AFL’s financial year not ending until October 31.

This might all seem to be nitpicking detail but in the hands of Hunt’s lawyers it could be presented as an irrefutable case that he has done nothing to bring rugby into disrepute. How, it would be argued, can he be accused of technically breaching the terms of his contract when, at the time he is alleged to have purchased the cocaine for his own use or to on-supply, no contract was even in effect?

No doubt the ARU would argue that even though his actions pre-date his contract, they still impact negatively on rugby. But consider this: the Reds admit they don’t even know for certain whether they have jurisdiction over this matter because of the contract dates.

Just what sort of bind does this leave rugby in? The decision that Hunt wouldn’t play tonight was made by the ARU, the Reds and RUPA, in consultation with the player himself, sensibly bringing all parties into line. But nothing has been decided beyond this match against the Force. All rugby has done is buy itself some breathing space.

The Reds could, presumably, continue to employ him at full pay but not select him. That’s hardly an elegant solution considering Hunt is being paid a rumoured $760,000 a year — that’s a hell of a lot of sit-down pay.

Yet the Reds have long prided themselves on providing good role-models to young Queenslanders. How, then, can they allow Hunt to appear in the Queensland jersey, even if his alleged offences took place before he joined the organisation? Note, too, that the CCC allegations do not relate exclusively to his own personal drug use. There also are allegations that he purchased cocaine to “on-supply” it to others. That’s a different level of involvement altogether. We’re potentially talking of trafficking. If that’s how the court sees it, then the AFL might have no option but to charge him under its anti-trafficking rules, which carry a maximum penalty of a life ban.

So far we’ve confined ourselves to how these allegations impact on rugby. But ultimately this scandal will fade from memory so the more pertinent question is how this all impacts on Hunt and his health.

How many times, one wonders, was Hunt drug-tested during his time in the AFL? He never was named as returning a positive drug test but then under the AFL’s convoluted conventions he wouldn’t have been named and shamed unless he failed three tests. One can only hope that AFL types weren’t chuckling behind their hands when they waved goodbye to Hunt as he headed off to rugby.

Sadly, when this game of who Hunt brought into disrepute is played out, the enduring answer will be — himself.

He might still have been contracted and on the payroll, but for all intents and purposes his involvement with the club and with the AFL had ended when the offences allegedly started.

Will this stand up in court? How did he officially 'quit' the club on that date when he's still contracted and paid? Not sure how it all works.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back