Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arintaraj

Senior List
Mar 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Do we need another Ken-centric thread? Having duly considered it, I say we do. The discussion in the other ones revolve around selection, game plan and strategy, but mostly selections of late.
Unless I'm mistaken, Ken's still got this season and next before his contract runs out. With that in mind:
  • What must Ken achieve this season for you to say: "okay Ken, go another round. I'm happy for you to see out your contract"?
I'd like to see if what people think the appropriate pass mark for Ken this season is.

On the basis that we should be aiming for a premiership with the current core group of players, I think it is appropriate that we aim to make the preliminary final (or better) this season. (Also, show that we belong there, not get thrashed at that level North-style).

Do I expect us to make the prelim? I think we are a 30-40% chance. And with a relatively healthy list, if we crash out sooner, I'd think Ken's had enough chances.

Also, short-term goal: win every game to the bye (Carlton, Brisbane, West Coast at AO, Gold Coast). Lose one then we're probably not good enough. Lose two then we're definitely not good enough.

Realistically, this year, it's finals. I don't think we'd necessarily even need to win one for Ken to stay on.

Next year will be a different story, though.

Realistically, this year, it's finals. I don't think we'd necessarily even need to win one for Ken to stay on.

This, it's in a contract year for him to make finals is enough to continue on that contract

When was the last time an in contract coach that made finals was sacked?

If we have our full list available and we don't make it to the second week of finals then he will be in trouble I'd think.

It really depends how things happen, how upset the supporters get, how much the players trust Ken etc. If we get destroyed by injuries we will simply have to lower the pass mark, if we don't have any injuries we would maybe raise it.

But yep, top 6 after the home & away round is the pass mark IMO.

This. We're not sacking Ken with a season left on his contract if we make finals this year. Next year we probably have to at least win one.

The standard for 'are we going to renew this contract' and 'are we going to sack him with a year to run on his contract' are very different.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finals, and I want to see us win games we should actually win (such as this week).

I'd prefer to see us constantly be a "Top 8 team" this year (ie beating those outside of the 8) than I would being a team who can beat a Top 4 team, but loses the games we should win.

It's been an encouraging start to the year, but it'll mean zilch if we lose to Carlton or Brisbane. Good sides win these games, and if we want to regain some credibility as a club, we MUST be 4-2 after round 6.

Don't care about finals.
We need to see a team that will be fighting for the flag in the near future. Structure, team work and youngsters gaining experience within a structured and positive environment.

Make finals, even fluke one but not look as if we are going somewhere, then it will be a fail.

Premiership = pass
Everything else = fail

But making finals is the bare minimum to keep his job.
Other considerations
Cannot lose games against bottom sides like in last couple of years. Need to beat quality top 8 teams.

Given how even the competition is this year, I'd be disappointed if we didn't finish in the top 6 and get a home final.

Win at least one final, and I think Ken would have done enough.

This. We're not sacking Ken with a season left on his contract if we make finals this year. Next year we probably have to at least win one.

The standard for 'are we going to renew this contract' and 'are we going to sack him with a year to run on his contract' are very different.

Yeah there's no way we're sacking him if we make the finals, even if we get bundled out straight away. We'd all rage about it no doubt but he'd live to see 2018.

That wouldn't be the case at the end of next year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back