Kennett : "Move Hawks to Tasmania"

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood 4 eternity

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 16, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Former Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett has made the radical call that Hawks should relocate to Launceston.

This comes after ongoing reports have suggested Hawthorn have been considering selling their Waverley Park complex and moving elsewhere.

Speaking with Neil Mitchell, Kennett said it would be in the best interest of the club as a whole, to pack up and move across Bass Straight.

“The Aurora Stadium is the best surface in Australia,” he said.

“The (players) could rent out their houses here and buy new properties in Launceston so financially they would do well.

“Launceston as a location has not only the Aurora Stadium, it has another one behind it. I would build new facilities there.”

http://www.3aw.com.au/blogs/neil-mitchell-blog/kennett-move-hawks-to-tasmania/20140410-36eiq.html

Honestly if Hawthorn weren't as incredibly successful as they have been in the last decade and had North Melbourne like results, I could see them already in Launceston/just about to go. The problem is Hawthorn are doing just fine where they are and there is not even the slightest need for the team to relocate, now or anytime soon.

Thats why he is a FORMER President .....what a stupid idea , wont happen , will never happen .

How about Tassie moving to Melbourne ? ( they do need footballers )
OR Melbourne moving to Tassie and then the Capital of Tassie would be Hobourne
AND then
The capital of Victoria would be Hawthorn

So Waverley is getting a little small and dated for the Hawks. That makes sense. Relocating to Tasmania - not so much. Instead of a few trips down there each year now the players are facing trips each week to Melbourne or interstate.

Maybe the Hawks should gazump the Saints and go for Junction oval. St Kilda isn't exactly Hawthorn territory like Waverley but it's in a player and fan friendly area and especially if the deal comes with access to a second Albert Park oval with training rights it could be a great base.

Food for thought.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't move states and give up 100+ years of history voluntarily because you move training bases!

There should be a team in Tasmania, but it isn't a relocated Hawthorn.

Have been to "Launy" for work several times.

There is absolutely nothing to do there. Seriously nothing. No offence but there are like, 2 "bars" and a handful of terrible pubs. It has 1 nice cafe and 2 not bad restaurants (which are actually both the bars already mentioned).

If the players were forced to live there during the week they def deserve some kind of player retention allowance. Also no recreational drug tests as players can not be held personally accountable for want of escapism.

They'd basically be FIFO workers.

I love Tassie, more than any state in Australia. But I have a very hard time believing that AFL players that have been living in the big city of Melbourne for many years would want to live in Launceston, full time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back