Coach Kenny Hinkley - should he stay or should he go (or will he be here until the end of time)?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think I've seen a supporter base hate any coach as much as Port supporters hate Ken Hinkley.
Historically no supporter base has ever had to put up with a coach with 10 years and no gf.

Add to that the fact we are treated as second class citizens with less rights to our club by the afl and it’s totally understandable.

I don't think I've seen a supporter base hate any coach as much as Port supporters hate Ken Hinkley.

No supporter base in 125 years of VFL/AFL football has had to endure a coach for this long without making a Grand Final. It’s insane how long this has been allowed to go on for FFS of course we want him gone! Every other coach in history, hundreds of people, have either made a GF by this point (at the very least) or they’ve been sacked.

But somehow this isn’t a topic worthy of conversation and all we get from the majority of the footy media is gaslighting nonsense like “Gosh bloody Port fans think they’re still in the SANFL where they can win a flag every two years!”

It's true.

It's not just Ken's coaching though (as bad as it is), it's the reaction of the coach, admin and players to the pressure.

Calling supporters white noise, not important, weak, stupid, and these are all just in the last few weeks..

No supporter base in 125 years of VFL/AFL football has had to endure a coach for this long without making a Grand Final. It’s insane how long this has been allowed to go on for FFS of course we want him gone! Every other coach in history, hundreds of people, have either made a GF by this point (at the very least) or they’ve been sacked.

But somehow this isn’t a topic worthy of conversation and all we get from the majority of the footy media is gaslighting nonsense like “Gosh bloody Port fans think they’re still in the SANFL where they can win a flag every two years!”
It's not just the years of failure, it's the predictability of the failure. The exact same way every time.

People don't understand that we weren't even able to enjoy "successful" seasons like 2021 because we all knew how it would end.

Historically no supporter base has ever had to put up with a coach with 10 years and no gf.

Add to that the fact we are treated as second class citizens with less rights to our club by the afl and it’s totally understandable.

Beat me to it lol.

You’re right of course in there being a number of peripheral issues too. Hinkley’s arrogance is off the charts. Remember that time he binned a decades old captaincy tradition for literally zero gain? Possibly the most historically and culturally disrespectful thing he could do short of wiping his arse with Fos Williams’ Prison Bar guernsey. Even the CEO at the time advised him against it but he did it anyway.

Average coach, elite dickhead.

Port fans have a legitimate reason to be unhappy. What is notable is the sheer OTT hate though - why is why so many comment on this - as if Ken Hinkley is the enemy of all life in the universe and is trying sabotage Port cos reasons.

Port fans have a legitimate reason to be unhappy. What is notable is the sheer OTT hate though - why is why so many comment on this - as if Ken Hinkley is the enemy of all life in the universe and is trying sabotage Port cos reasons.

It’s just years of frustration boiling over at this point. I agree that it can get a bit too personal at times, but the underlying sentiment is not that he’s a 21st century Hitler. He’s just an average coach and arrogant bogan who has overstayed his welcome and we just want him to f@&k off.

It’s just years of frustration boiling over at this point. I agree that it can get a bit too personal at times, but the underlying sentiment is not that he’s a 21st century Hitler. He’s just an average coach and arrogant bogan who has overstayed his welcome and we just want him to f@&k off.

From my experience with Port supporters that's a pretty good fit :D

From my experience with Port supporters that's a pretty good fit :D

He’s arrogant for the wrong reasons though. Simon Goodwin is an absolute tosser but at least he’s a winner as both a player and coach. Hinkley is neither. In just his third season with us he spent a preseason game in a deck chair, basking in the glory of the nothing that he had achieved, while Matthew Nicks took the reigns. Unbelievable.

He’s arrogant for the wrong reasons though. Simon Goodwin is an absolute tosser but at least he’s a winner as both a player and coach. Hinkley is neither. In just his third season with us he spent a preseason game in a deck chair, basking in the glory of the nothing that he had achieved, while Matthew Nicks took the reigns. Unbelievable.

Have you been hating on him for seven years?

There is a small tendency for Port supporters to use "Victorian" as slander for Hinkley, but instead of being something against Victorians, I think it's because Hinkley has spent the last 8 years feeling like an outsider. He's never really bought into the (former) ethos of the club or the history and tradition, I assume because he doesn't want to be judged against it. Doesn't feel like one of us. Will probably never set foot inside the club again when he leaves. Seems to actively despise the supporter base, etc.

There are a stack of Victorian coaches i'd absolutely love to have here, and obviously our two greatest players of the 2010s are Victorian.
What’s the go with Boak after footy? Has Adelaide become his permanent home or is he a chance to head back to Victoria after retirement? Is he more likely to be an assistant coach, go in the media or just disappear into the wilderness like most?

Always wish we landed Boak. Means we would never have been able to have afforded Dangerfield and since one’s a true leader & the other a complete w***er I’d argue the 2020 premiership we had won at half time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have you been hating on him for seven years?

No but it did strike me as a bit odd at the time, obviously much more so in retrospect, and since then we’ve only made 3 finals series in 8 seasons.

The Showdown in 2017 where we were absolutely obliterated by the Crows (lost by 80-odd only by virtue of them kicking a wayward 18.22, we really should’ve lost by 20 goals) was when I was sure that he couldn’t take us any further and half expected him to be sacked then and there. Instead he got an extension despite having a year to run on his contract, a stupid mistake we replicated in 2020.

He has never actually coached in the final year of his contract. He flat out refuses to. That alone is an indictment of not only Ken but also Koch and the rest of the AFL plants on our board.

It’s taken until Season 11 for him to be coaching under any contractual pressure whatsoever. What a joke.

when the club actively goes to war against its own supporters, calling them 'outside noise', calling them stupid etc, what do you expect?

we're held to ransom by a breakfast tv host and the least successful decade coach in VFL/AFL history.

• finishes 10th or lower across 40% of seasons
  • 2 finals wins in 8 years
  • two back to back home prelim losses, the second the worst home prelim defeat in history
  • the club completely refuses to acknowledge the prelim loss, ken says he "wouldn't change a thing" then goes to ground for 4 months until next season then serves up a 0-5 s**t sandwich
  • the club's greatest ever player passes away, and on field the response is to lose to a bottom 4 side, at home, by 10 goals
  • our first goalless half in our history this year

not only that but ken has utter disdain for the members. plus he murders greyhounds.

guy is scum.

Arguable - Fitzroy went through 9 years without even making finals with Bill Stephen.

Then Essendon were stupid enough to take him, still couldn't make finals.

Then Fitzroy BRING HIM BACK (at least he then made finals in 1979, and won one too)

How would you feel if Ken went elsewhere for a couple of years. Accomplished nothing, then Port brought Ken back?

When I look at it from a Port perspective.

I would have contemplated sacking him after 2016 but probably keep him on
I would have contemplated sacking him after 2017 but probably keep him on
I would have contemplated sacking him after 2018 but only would have if I could line up an experienced/successful coach in his place
I would have sacked him after 2019

But they didn't and ran with him
Would've been safe after 2020 imo
I would have contemplated sacking him after 2021 but probably keep him on
And I would be contemplating sacking him right now, but would only commit to doing so if I could get someone experienced in.

But who's there that's proven they can win a premiership? Clarkson? Seems North bound. Malthouse? Old and passed it. Thompson? Hasn't been a head coach for a decade. Worsfold or Roos? Would they really want to get back into coaching at this point?

They'd have to go someone like Lyon or Pyke who have gotten to a GF but not won one.

TBH, unless Port can steal Clarkson from North, I honestly feel like Port fans will hate any and every appointment.
Either
1) Out of coaching for too long, will they still have the nuances in modern footy
2) As successful as Hinkley. So just making a sideways move, and changing gameplans could result in short term pain, and in doing so, waste the final years of the core group of leaders at the club
3) An untried coach who could be the next Mark Neeld

Honestly. The only thing a new coach has going for him that the fan base will like is he isn't Ken.

I would have contemplated sacking him after 2018 but only would have if I could line up an experienced/successful coach in his place

And I would be contemplating sacking him right now, but would only commit to doing so if I could get someone experienced in.

But who's there that's proven they can win a premiership? Clarkson? Seems North bound. Malthouse? Old and passed it. Thompson? Hasn't been a head coach for a decade. Worsfold or Roos? Would they really want to get back into coaching at this point?

They'd have to go someone like Lyon or Pyke who have gotten to a GF but not won one.

TBH, unless Port can steal Clarkson from North, I honestly feel like Port fans will hate any and every appointment.
Either
1) Out of coaching for too long, will they still have the nuances in modern footy
2) As successful as Hinkley. So just making a sideways move, and changing gameplans could result in short term pain, and in doing so, waste the final years of the core group of leaders at the club

Honestly. The only thing a new coach has going for him that the fan base will like is he isn't Ken.
I never get the fear with untried coaches, not since 2010 has a premiership been won by a coach who had previously coached at a different club.

Yes, they might get someone like Neeld, but they could also get someone like McRae, who is a prime example of a new coach who has come in, changed the game plan and gotten the best out of some of the older core at the club.

But realistically I hope Port keep Hinkley because the melts are so satisfying.

This is why I'm still about 60% sure they still keep him. Past behaviour is going to the best indication.

If he thought Hinkley was still good enough to keep after a poor 2019, following a poor 2018, then making prelims for 2/3 susbequent years following that decision is probably good enough.

Especially with a year still on his contract. Agree, short of Clarkson barging down the door wanting to coach them, I'm not convinced he's been bad enough for Kochhead to change his mind.

Either

The other thing is, is Port’s list really a premiership list? It’s a very good list, capable of playing finals and prelims which they’ve achieved but lacks superstar quality or total strength over every line to be beating Richmond of the last few years, or Melbourne last year. IMO only a very top of the line coach could have squeezed more out of them, otherwise Hinkley has probably achieved par for the course which is not particularly great, but not terrible. 2022 is really the first year I would’ve obviously looked in a different direction, Kochie doesn’t seem to have the balls though, not really surprising.

The other thing is, is Port’s list really a premiership list? It’s a very good list, capable of playing finals and prelims which they’ve achieved but lacks superstar quality or total strength over every line to be beating Richmond of the last few years, or Melbourne last year. IMO only a very top of the line coach could have squeezed more out of them, otherwise Hinkley has probably achieved par for the course which is not particularly great, but not terrible. 2022 is really the first year I would’ve obviously looked in a different direction, Kochie doesn’t seem to have the balls though, not really surprising.
2013 - 5th
2014 - 3rd

2015 - 9th
2016 - 10th
2017 - 7th

2018 - 10th
2019 - 10th
2020 - 3rd
2021 - 3rd

2022 - 12th

This is now the third time he’s got them up the ladder, and then come into a season where they were expected to potentially contend, and they’ve underperformed. I think a premiership standard coach wouldn’t have done that.

The problem with this situation is Koch, he has a habit of opening his mouth and making big statements and predictions, none of which come true and then doesn’t realize that talking in the media is a different game to running and talking about a footy club. Guys a clown and knows port doesn’t have the means to pay out hinkley but realizes he will look more stupid than he already is by backflipping

It's not just the years of failure, it's the predictability of the failure. The exact same way every time.

People don't understand that we weren't even able to enjoy "successful" seasons like 2021 because we all knew how it would end.
And how exactly did you expect it to end?… with nothing less than a premiership??

I’m not a kern fan but you guys are delusional if you think you’ve had a bona fide premiership list.

Even if you got past Footscray in the pre lim Melbourne would’ve wiped the floor with you in GF

Finally , if you can’t enjoy your team playing deep in September then I suggest that’s on you as a supporter because if it’s flag or nothing every year , following AFL is going to be pretty unfulfilling for you

And how exactly did you expect it to end?… with nothing less than a premiership??

I’m not a kern fan but you guys are delusional if you think you’ve had a bona fide premiership list.

Even if you got past Footscray in the pre lim Melbourne would’ve wiped the floor with you in GF

Finally , if you can’t enjoy your team playing deep in September then I suggest that’s on you as a supporter because if it’s flag or nothing every year , following AFL is going to be pretty unfulfilling for you

Minor premiership with 136% in 2020 suggests a flag wouldn't have been a shock at the very least. A grand final appearance when you have home pre lims really should be the pass mark.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back