Pick 81 in the 2008 National Draft

11s2r7q.jpg

Link

Date of birth: 5/3/91
Height:
180cm
Weight: 81kg
Club: East Fremantle

Bio: An attacking medium sized midfielder with good pace, who likes to take the opposition on with his run and carry, King is an AIS/AFL Academy graduate and was a highly-rated junior 400m runner.

Link

Kieran King is a medium sized midfielder from East Fremantle who is a very strong runner with good pace. He was a national 400m runner as a junior but has obviously favoured an AFL career over athletics. King is very much an outside player and still has a lot to learn about the game. There is no doubt with his pace that if he can learn how to play the game at AFL level then he can be successful.

Re: Kieran King

East Fremantle Football Club

East Fremantle Young Guns Head East
Wednesday, 03 December 2008

The East Fremantle Football Club is proud to announce that Liam Anthony(pictured right) and Kieran King(pictured left) will be heading east after being drafted by the North Melbourne Kangaroos and Brisbane Lions pick 43 and 81 respectively on Saturday.

Kieran, an outstanding junior runner debuted for the East Fremantle Football Club colts in 2007 and established himself further in 2008 playing 13 games.

A Rossmoyne junior, Kieran will add some pace to the Brisbane line up.

It’s an exciting time for all those who have been involved in Liam and Kieran’s development and all parties involved can be justifiably proud.

To Liam and Kieran, on behalf of the East Fremantle Football Club good luck and enjoy this new and exciting challenge.

Damien Gaspar
Football Manager
East Fremantle Football Club

kierankingjl0.jpg

Draft Profile

Kieran King Midfielder 181cm
East Fremantle 05/03/1991 80kg

King is an Australian junior running champion but proved in the 2007 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships that he is also a talented footballer. He averaged 19 disposals in the three games playing across half forward using his pace to full effect by ending the carnival with the second most running bounces of any division one player (13). He was able to do so because only 26% of his possessions were won in a contest, and he posed a threat pushing forward with an average of five inside 50s and two goals per game.

can someone give us a hand finding the inside sport article on him?
i can somehow remember it but not sure how long ago it was

Consolidated Draft Profiles

Kieran King - (OM) 5 March 1991, 181cm 81kg. WA/East Fremantle/Rossmoyne

"Nicko4: King is an Australian junior running champion but proved in the 2007 NAB AFL Under-16 Championships that he is also a talented footballer. He averaged 19 disposals in the three games playing across half forward using his pace to full effect by ending the carnival with the second most running bounces of any division one player (13). He was able to do so because only 26% of his possessions were won in a contest, and he posed a threat pushing forward with an average of five inside 50s and two goals per game."

"TheBigUnit: Kieran King - bottom ager, not sure what's happening with him re:athletics, becuase he's run some incredible times for a kid (national junior 400m champion), but footy-wise solidly built, lightning quick outside ball carrier. Only a SS invite though, which is surprsing."

mjp on King

15/.Keiran King - Mid - East Fremantle

Elite runner, but can he play? I think someone will pick this kid, simply because he has speed like no-one else in the draft. His skills are pretty good as well, but his game sense/game impact is often poor. If a side was prepared to stick him on a half back flank in the seconds for two years and teach the kid how to play, then - then you might really have something.

I think his assessment is very accurate, in the end I thought it'd be 50/50 whether he got picked up, but at that point in the draft it's worth taking a punt on a bottom-ager and I guess the East Fremantle factor was too hard to deny :thumbsu:

Link

Among others to make AFL lists from far away destinations, new Brisbane Lions defender Kieran King, from East Fremantle, admits his drafting came from left field. The national athletics under-16 and under-17 400m champion vowed only last December to throw everything into his Olympic dream.
"It was footy I was going to give up, not athletics," he said.
"But it all changed, totally. I started the new (2008) season and found I was enjoying it more than my running. And here I am."
King was on the verge of selection for the world junior (under-20) titles, but, instead, chose to focus on football, playing with the East Fremantle Colts, as well as two games in the reserves.
According to Brisbane Lions football manager Graeme Allan, King has pace, stamina and skill.
"It's a good mix," he said.
King said he was shocked to be drafted.
"It was the second last pick, too," he said.
"I was going to really put my head down and try and have a good year with East Fremantle.
"Now I'm going to be in Brisbane trying out. It's just great."

Pick 81.
Met him a few years back at athletics comp, good little runner, great pace.
best over 400.
surprised he chose to stick with afl over aths but ultimatley paid off.
wish him all the best, heres hoping the guy gets a game this season.

side note: goes to the same school as the newly million dollar contracted 'new york modelling' female model, looks like that school knows how to make teens successful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Link

King’s Voss connection
By Simon White
11:43 AM Sun 30 November, 2008

WHILE the majority of AFL draftees start from scratch, Kieran King is looking forward to linking back up with a familiar face when he begins his career at the Brisbane Lions.King, picked up by the Lions with the No. 81 selection of Saturday’s draft is a graduate of the AFL/AIS Academy.
As such, he’s already come under the watchful eye of Lions coach Michael Voss.
“When I went on the AIS tour of South Africa, Nathan Buckley was originally the mentor for my midfield group but he (Voss) took over when Buckley had to head home for other commitments,” King said.
“To be able to learn from someone who has achieved so much in the game was amazing and I feel really comfortable knowing that he’ll be my first AFL coach.”
The young East Fremantle midfielder still had a year of junior eligibility remaining when the Lions made him the penultimate pick of the draft.
He followed the selection process with his family in Perth and thought his chance might have passed him by for this year as the end of the draft approached.
“I was hopeful that I might get drafted – but I certainly didn’t expect it,” he said.
“I was listening to the draft and it was probably more about seeing where all the other WA boys ended up, because there were so many of them.
“When I heard my name get called I wasn’t really paying all that much attention. I couldn’t believe it and I just sat in silence for about 10 seconds.”
A top notch junior athlete and 400 metre runner before focusing on football, King was one of three Western Australians snared by the Lions.

I always thought it'd be 50/50 whether he got picked up

Don't be so modest:

jgb99 on King

From East Freo:

Kieran King
Liam Anthony
Nicholas Olds
Lewis Fasolo

The top 2 I'm very confident about going in the ND, bottom 2 rookies maybe.

Good work:thumbsu:

Athletics Australia - March 2007

2007 Telstra National Open & AWD Championship
QEII Stadium,Brisbane

Men 400 Metres Under 18
1, Kieran King, WA, 47.92.
2, Sam Carson, QLD, 48.75.
3, Greg Jeloudev, NSW, 49.31.
4, Ollie Wurm, VIC, 50.67.
5, Callum James, TAS, 51.51.
6, Wallace Long-Scafidi, SA, 51.53.

Athletics Australia - December 2007

2007 Australian All Schools & Youth Athletics
Sydney Olympic Park Athletic Centre

Boys 400 Metres Under 17
1, Kieran King, WA, 47.64.
2, Robert McIntyre, NSW, 48.36.
3, Grant Billingham, NSW, 48.71.
4, Casey Whitaker, SA, 49.71.
5, Jared Nicholas, QLD, 49.82.
6, Brendan Matthews, ACT, 49.97.
7, Zachary Walpole, NSW, 50.25.
8, Adam Koso, VIC, 50.45.

In comparison here are the 2008 Olympic times:

LaShawn Merritt - 43.75
Jeremy Wariner - 44.74
David Neville - 44.80
Chris Brown - 44.84
Leslie Kjhone - 45.11
Martyn Rooney - 45.12
Renny Quow - 45.22
Johan Wissman - 45.39

Put this on the draft and trading board yesterday but thought it might be useful here given Grimreepah has now put up some of his running stats.

81 - Brisbane - Kieron King (East Fremantle) - world champion ranked kid, 400m, gave up opportunity to represent Australia

Not sure what you mean by this, but he ran a 47.64 in December 2007 at the Australian All Schools and Youth meet aged 16 years and 9 months. In 2007 that didn't make the top 20 male Youth 400m runners ( who produced 26 runs faster than King) in the world but wasn't far off. A Youth is someone who is under 17 as 1 January of any year.

However it is damn quick and was good enough to be a World Junior Championships qualifying time of 48.04. Juniors are under 20 as at 1 January. In 2008 the World Junior Championships were held in Poland in July. He wasn't selected for the team, only Kurt Mulcahy got an individual 400m run who was a couple of years older was selected but he was over a second quicker. We put together a 400m team from our 800m and 1500m runners.

As a guide of how quick that is, Australia's best ever 400m runner Darren Clark ran one of the fastest times recorded by a Junior male runner (ie U-20) as an 19 year old, a 44.75 at the 1984 Los Angles Olympics to finish 4th and miss a bronze by 0.04 seconds after recording the 2nd fastest, first 300m ever run to that point. He is the 6th fastest Junior male of all time. As a 17 year old Clark's best time was a 45.84.

we don't have alot of elite speed on our list, king brings that to the party, he also would have a fair endurance base as well, i just hope he can kick:D

Link

The Club’s final selection at the 2008 NAB AFL Draft Kieran King will wear the number 13 guernsey which was most recently worn for the past two seasons by delisted Chris Schmidt.

Fitzroy’s Kevin Wright holds the Club record for most matches in the number 13 guernsey with 140.

However, the number is probably best known as the one worn by former Fitzroy Best & Fairest Martin Pike in the Lions’ hat-trick of premierships from 2001-2003.

He got a random mention in passing (not by name) on the ABC's Offsiders program on Sunday in a discussion on athletes choosing AFL over the Olympics. Something along the lines of "Natanui, who was pick #2 in the recent AFL draft, was a promising high jumper until he decided to focus on AFL. Another draftee was a potential medal prospect in the 400m down the track."

He got a random mention in passing (not by name) on the ABC's Offsiders program on Sunday in a discussion on athletes choosing AFL over the Olympics. Something along the lines of "Natanui, who was pick #2 in the recent AFL draft, was a promising high jumper until he decided to focus on AFL. Another draftee was a potential medal prospect in the 400m down the track."

And that statement shows a lack of understanding of elite athletics by Jacquelin Magnay, I'm pretty sure it was her who made the comment. Yes King has an impressive time, well a couple actually, but he is still 2 seconds behind Darren Clarke at the same age (ie about 16m behind him in a race) and Clarke ended up with 2 fourths and a fourth in the '84 4x400m relay. In 2007, 20 other boys in the IAAF Youth category ran the 26 fastest times of the year. He is/was a potential Australian Olympic 400m runner. He isn't/wasn't a potential 400m medal prospect at this stage.

Edit: My apologies to Jacquelin Magnay. After re watching the program, which is linked below, it was Olympic rower Kym Crow who on the prompting from Barry Cassidy about potential Olympic medalists playing AFL and the other football codes inferred King as a potential medalist.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back