Kyabram DFL discussion 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

The outrage is fair and the way the KDFL have handled it all is embarrassing.
The reality is, right from when Semmel was found guilty at the tribunal he was deemed ineligible, the debacle that transpired from then with the league saying he was in actual fact eligible, is in the end irrelevant.
The league ****ed up, but unfortunately for Semmel, the rules are the rules.

The reality is, right from when Semmel was found guilty at the tribunal he was deemed ineligible, the debacle that transpired from then with the league saying he was in actual fact eligible, is in the end irrelevant.
The league *ed up, but unfortunately for Semmel, the rules are the rules.
It probably shows how the league is run at the moment.. on par with the GV

The league *ed up, but unfortunately for Semmel, the rules are the rules.

Is Ryan Semmell really that dirty on not being awarded the KDFL league medal?

I understand your backlash Dust, it is as you say piss poor to leave everyone in the dark even the said player right up until the last minute!! But the simple fact is even though AFL Victoria have all the "power" they can't just go and change the rules mid season!

Every league has their own By-Laws which they run to until something is changed, but to have an amendment to any laws it has to be done at a league meeting such as an AGM etc where all clubs are represented and any league constitution by-law changes need to be voted on by club's for it to be passed or not!

This hasn't happened as yet as far as I'm aware so unfortunately it doesn't matter whether everything thinks the right decision has been made or not it's the decision of the league's current by-laws! So until such rules are changed then that's where the decision lays!

But yes I am hearing that there is definitely an appeal coming which will be interesting to see how it is handled? 🤔🤷🏽‍♂️
I think the biggest point of concern from Stanhope is that the AFL guidelines made him eligible and the league confirmed he was fine as nothing to the contrary in the by-laws or constitution. Then it took 6 weeks for them to update (after Ryan was invited) and the email came through late at night before a 4 day weekend.

If told straight away he was ineligible they would’ve appealed, been successful or unsuccessful and that’s that.

Not taking sides - just pointing out where Stanhope are coming from.

I think the biggest point of concern from Stanhope is that the AFL guidelines made him eligible and the league confirmed he was fine as nothing to the contrary in the by-laws or constitution. Then it took 6 weeks for them to update (after Ryan was invited) and the email came through late at night before a 4 day weekend.

If told straight away he was ineligible they would’ve appealed, been successful or unsuccessful and that’s that.

Not taking sides - just pointing out where Stanhope are coming from.
Ohh I agree wholeheartedly 100% mate..... I'm definitely not taking side's either! Obviously someone hasn't crossed their t's or dotted their i's & double checked exact ruling before making a fair decision! It's like they have made a decision on what they thought the understanding was, asked the AFL & without them knowing the league exact by-laws & rules have passed it! Now to see who buckles or stands firm..... 🤷🏽‍♂️😬

Last edited:
Surely there's gv clubs queuing up for Excell
Footy not high on his priorities I don’t think Trent, didn’t suit up at all the previous 2 years, played a couple of VFL games a few years back so obviously could play a decent role in most major league sides if he wanted to 👍🏼

I know we've nearly done this subject to death even though there appears possibly more to play out so apologies everyone.....but didn't somebody post the by-laws up on here just recently ??....And it was pretty straightforward...a guilty player is ineligible, that's exactly what it says, there's no "or unless this or unless that".

I know we've nearly done this subject to death even though there appears possibly more to play out so apologies everyone.....but didn't somebody post the by-laws up on here just recently ??....And it was pretty straightforward...a guilty player is ineligible, that's exactly what it says, there's no "or unless this or unless that".
Fair story by Rohan Aldous posted on facebook for the Ky Free Press which gives you some interesting perspective on where Stanhope is coming from, the main thing I got from it was that they asked the league if he was still eligible for the League B&F straight after the tribunal hearing, they stipulated then that if he wasn’t eligible then they would be appealing the reprimand, came back that he was going to still be eligible so they didn’t appeal!
That throws another shade on an already grey story

Fair story by Rohan Aldous posted on facebook for the Ky Free Press which gives you some interesting perspective on where Stanhope is coming from, the main thing I got from it was that they asked the league if he was still eligible for the League B&F straight after the tribunal hearing, they stipulated then that if he wasn’t eligible then they would be appealing the reprimand, came back that he was going to still be eligible so they didn’t appeal!
That throws another shade on an already grey story
Bloody hell !!...I'll crash my truck tomorrow if I try and get my head around this !!! 🤯.

P.s. Rohan Aldous...what a bloody legend 👍👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those that didn’t catch the article, and this is in the leagues defence and similar to what Smooth said. The league checked with AFL and also the KDL by laws. Nothing to suggest he was ineligible.

Stanhope wanted to know straight away as you only have two days to appeal a tribunal outcome.

League since checked their constitution which overrides all of that and it’s written in there that he was ineligible. Just a pity they didn’t think to check constitution. But most of our day to day football stuff and all that I are in the bylaws.

Are they gonna post a top 10 of the count from the other night? Or does anyone have a photo of the results? Would love to know how other players went apart from 1st

Are they gonna post a top 10 of the count from the other night? Or does anyone have a photo of the results? Would love to know how other players went apart from 1st
Ryan Semmel*Stanhope25
Jack ExellViolet Town20
Braydon AvolaAvenel19
Thomas DaviesLancaster17
Jack SinclairMerrigum15
Jayedo HexterMurchison-Toolamba13
Dylan MoncurUndera13
Nicholas BrazilViolet Town13
Ryan ButlerGirgarre12
Aiden LloydMurchison-Toolamba12
Thomas McCluskyShepparton East12
Kian WiseTallygaroopna12

For those that didn’t catch the article, and this is in the leagues defence and similar to what Smooth said. The league checked with AFL and also the KDL by laws. Nothing to suggest he was ineligible.

Stanhope wanted to know straight away as you only have two days to appeal a tribunal outcome.

League since checked their constitution which overrides all of that and it’s written in there that he was ineligible. Just a pity they didn’t think to check constitution. But most of our day to day football stuff and all that I are in the bylaws.
Obviously it's not a great situation for anyone involved.

But for what it's worth, for all the s**t-canning of the KDL on here and Facebook, at the end of the day they are volunteers. As you said, they had to filter through the by-laws and constitution, on their weekend, and give an answer within 2 days. The constitution and by-laws are on the KDL website, there was nothing stopping Stanhope from reviewing them themselves.

Who'd want to be a volunteer, it's a thankless job, and everyone always has an opinion on what you're doing wrong. It's almost always the loudest critics that are the last ones to volunteer.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back