Movies & TV Last movie you watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Bridge: found it buried (er pun somewhat intended) in the doco section of Blockbuster.

Is about a team of moviemakers who filmed the Golden Gate Bridge 24/7, showing people jumping to their deaths (or most of them- one survived the fall- 2% do). Dont know how I feel tho about them lying, particulalry to the loved ones- they werent informed there was footage of their suicides until after they were interviewed.

I was also puzzled somewhat as to how most/all the suicides were done in the broad daylight. I would have thought those who jump would prefer to do it at night when no one was around.

Anyway, good doco, recommend it if you can get over the fact you are actually watching people die, and die on purpose. :(

I wanna watch that- looked around for it at BB but couldnt find it- I assume they would have it?

Will have to look again.

It only came out on DVD on Wednesday, so I don't know if BB would have it out yet or not. I bought my copy from JB.

Can you give me a quick run down of the.. i assume its a doco?

Where was it filmed, who is interviewed, etc?

You're right it is a doco. It was filmed in the US during the 2009/2010 school year. Basically, the doco follows the families of 5 kids who are (or in some cases were) the victims of bullying. Two of the victims committed suicide (1 a 17yo and the other was only 11), a 14yo boy (who is the main person they follow), a 17 or 18yo lesbian living in the Bible Belt and another girl who was in juvi for bringing a gun to school just to scare the bullies.

Most of the doco is about what happens to those kids and families, and what those in authority (principals, school boards, etc) do to try and solve the problem. It gets pretty confronting at times, but for the life of me I can't understand why it was given an R rating in the US.

Thanks Winty. :thumbsu:

Who the hell knows what is going thru the US's "brain" with anything they do (or dont do)- i swear I love that country and the people there, its ones of my fav places to travel too. But they are seriously ****ed in the head the lotta them, lol- im thinking more about gun laws (or lack thereof) and stuff here.

Anyway, will watch and report back.

Trouble with the curve
Wreck it ralph

Both on a flight... Clint Eastwood has still got it!

Hey guys, I'm putting together a list of BigFooty's top 100 movies in the Movie and Entertainment forum and I'm looking for a couple more of people's top 10 lists to help flesh out the countdown. If you're able to put together a list and post it at the thread on the M&E board by Sunday, it would be much appreciated.

Seven Psychopaths.

While it was quite funny in some parts, it completely lost my interest with about half an hour to go. :thumbsdown: Meh.

It only came out on DVD on Wednesday, so I don't know if BB would have it out yet or not. I bought my copy from JB.

Wanted to rent that one!!!! BB only had one copy of it and it was out! Another thumbs down. :thumbsdown:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right it is a doco. It was filmed in the US during the 2009/2010 school year. Basically, the doco follows the families of 5 kids who are (or in some cases were) the victims of bullying. Two of the victims committed suicide (1 a 17yo and the other was only 11), a 14yo boy (who is the main person they follow), a 17 or 18yo lesbian living in the Bible Belt and another girl who was in juvi for bringing a gun to school just to scare the bullies.

Well I watched it the other night.

I didnt get emotional as I thought I would- but it was upsetting to sit thru. (Not to mention other emtions of frustration, anger, etc etc)

It goes to show how behind the times and completely out of touch some communities still are- and no wonder the friggin kids go around bullying other kids. The way they treated that girl (cant recall name)- the lesbian was an absolute disgrace. It was heartbreaking to watch her talking about how she wanted to change peoples prejudices- but then came to the realisation that one person alone just cannot do that. :(

Obviously the suicides were so sad. The poor kid Alex needed someone to teach him better social skills, but apparently after the filming the family moved to Oklahoma City and he is doing much better and has friends.

Perhaps the doco needed to be longer- 90 minutes wasnt very long and maybe it needed to delve a little deeper. They didnt show it at all from the perspective of the bully, which i think is important to "solving" the problem.

(I put problem in inverted commas- i mean how do you solve stuff like this? Its like saying were gonna solve the problem of drugs, terrorism and domestic violence. Just never gonna happen)

I'm missing out something... oh yeah that Principal was a ****ing tosser. King of the tossers she was. Should lose her job for being a complete and utter ****head.

Well I watched it the other night.

I didnt get emotional as I thought I would- but it was upsetting to sit thru. (Not to mention other emtions of frustration, anger, etc etc)

It goes to show how behind the times and completely out of touch some communities still are- and no wonder the friggin kids go around bullying other kids. The way they treated that girl (cant recall name)- the lesbian was an absolute disgrace. It was heartbreaking to watch her talking about how she wanted to change peoples prejudices- but then came to the realisation that one person alone just cannot do that. :(

Obviously the suicides were so sad. The poor kid Alex needed someone to teach him better social skills, but apparently after the filming the family moved to Oklahoma City and he is doing much better and has friends.

Perhaps the doco needed to be longer- 90 minutes wasnt very long and maybe it needed to delve a little deeper. They didnt show it at all from the perspective of the bully, which i think is important to "solving" the problem.

(I put problem in inverted commas- i mean how do you solve stuff like this? Its like saying were gonna solve the problem of drugs, terrorism and domestic violence. Just never gonna happen)

I'm missing out something... oh yeah that Principal was a ****ing tosser. King of the tossers she was. Should lose her job for being a complete and utter ****head.

Interesting point about not showing it from the perspective of the bully. Never thought of that, although the friend of the 11yo kid who committed suicide did say he was a bully in 2nd and 3rd grade before he realised what impact it was having on the kids he was picking on so he stopped.

Agree with how Kelby (the lesbian) was treated too. You'd think it would be bad enough copping it from the students, but copping it from the teachers too was shocking and unforgivable. Amazing how the whole family was basically cut off from the community too just because of her sexuality.

I wonder if the principal has actually watched the finished doco too and was staggered at just how stupid she comes across. That part where Alex's parents go and see her after they're shown footage of what Alex has to put up with on the school bus, only for her to crap on about photos of her grandkids was ridiculous.

I think one of the main problems about bullying isn't the bully themselves, but those who watch on and do nothing. Maybe they're scared that if they speak up the bully will target them, but if enough people stand up for the victim, then maybe the bully will realise no-one will put up with their crap. You just have to look at that lady who was on the train in Melbourne recently racially abusing those two guys when complete strangers came to the guys' defence.

Agree with how Kelby (the lesbian) was treated too. You'd think it would be bad enough copping it from the students, but copping it from the teachers too was shocking and unforgivable. Amazing how the whole family was basically cut off from the community too just because of her sexuality.

Just goes to show how backward "red neck" America still is. Like its the 1920s still... I mean getting up and moving when she walks in the room? Ffs... so mean and so immature at the same time.

I wonder if the principal has actually watched the finished doco too and was staggered at just how stupid she comes across. That part where Alex's parents go and see her after they're shown footage of what Alex has to put up with on the school bus, only for her to crap on about photos of her grandkids was ridiculous.

Oh yeah she certainly did watch it- she was a a premier of it and stormed out apparently. Afterwards I think she apologised. I dont know what, if anything else happened. You should also tho, give her kudos for letting herself be filmed in the first place. They were the only school, out of the ones the producers contacted that gave them permission to film. So at the very least, they deserve a bit of recognition for that- no matter how ****ing dumb they are.

I think one of the main problems about bullying isn't the bully themselves, but those who watch on and do nothing. Maybe they're scared that if they speak up the bully will target them, but if enough people stand up for the victim, then maybe the bully will realise no-one will put up with their crap. You just have to look at that lady who was on the train in Melbourne recently racially abusing those two guys when complete strangers came to the guys' defence.

Thats true. Its a fine line tho- Im sorry to say this, but i dont think i would have done much in defence of those guys on the train. That woman was clearly on something and you wouldnt know what people like that are capable of. Guess im a coward... but then again im a girl and weigh only 60kg!!! :oops:

Just finished watching Deadwood for the fourth time, and realised I haven't watched anything made since then, besides the Cats Victory pack DVD sets.

Should I bother with Boardwalk Empire? Breaking Bad gets mentioned by friends, but I can't watch anything that has people using mobile phones or wearing ill-fitting trousers. Any recommendations?

Just finished watching Deadwood for the fourth time, and realised I haven't watched anything made since then, besides the Cats Victory pack DVD sets.

Should I bother with Boardwalk Empire? Breaking Bad gets mentioned by friends, but I can't watch anything that has people using mobile phones or wearing ill-fitting trousers. Any recommendations?

Boardwalk Empire is great.

You need to cure the phone phobia - both Breaking Bad & The Wire are excellent.

Hell on Wheels is ok, not fabulous.

I watched early 1980's werewolf movie Wolfen last night. Wasn't bad. Lots of shots of a New York City that doesn't exist anymore (the South Bronx ruins, the World Trade Centre of course) and some good quality blood and gore (hands bitten off, heads bitten off) but the ending definitely could have been better. Ended on a 'Meh...' instead of a 'Zuh?' or even a 'Ha!'

Two stars from me, Margaret.

A Very Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas

Sadly denied a theatrical release in this country, this installment of the franchise was slightly superior to ... Escape from Gitmo but was not quite able to eclipse the pure brilliance of 2004's ... Go to White Castle.

A must watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back