Movies & TV Last movie you watched?

Remove this Banner Ad

Although a great career... hard to say ..which was his greatest movie. In a way some of his best role was when he was not the major player. Of course he made Bond but The untouchables and Indy Jones father showed he could play bumbling and hard. Perhaps what showed how good he was ..Murder on the Or Express.. a star cast and he stood out.

Although a great career... hard to say ..which was his greatest movie. In a way some of his best role was when he was not the major player. Of course he made Bond but The untouchables and Indy Jones father showed he could play bumbling and hard. Perhaps what showed how good he was ..Murder on the Or Express.. a star cast and he stood out.

Not really. :grin:

It's John Huston's masterpiece The Man Who Would Be King, from 1975. Michael Caine was right when he said 'if there's only one film I'm remembered for, it'll be John Huston's. It's the best film Sean or I will ever be in.'

After that, you'd have to go...

2. The Hill (Sidney Lumet, 1965)
3. Robin and Marion (Richard Lester, 1976)
4. Marnie (Hitchcock, 1964)
5. Zardoz (John Boorman, 1974)
6. The Offence (Lumet, 1973)
7. The Molly Maguires (Martin Ritt, 1970)
8. The Frightened City (John Lemont, 1961)
9. The Great Train Robbery (Michael Crichton, 1978)
10. Time Bandits (Gilliam, 1981)

Pretty much everything after 1980 is forgettable. Connery, star as always, elevates the work in whatever he's in, but he's cashing the cheques in the main. The great directors have gone, productions are more predictable, the scripts dodgy. There's a great reason he gave it away for the past 20 years.

Obviously, his portrayal of Bond was iconic, and cast a very long shadow over his life and career. Without it, who knows what he may have done. But the films themselves, while fun, are pretty trashy and have dated beyond belief.

Connery knew playing Bond was a dead end, so was right to leave when he did. Though ironically the film made in his absence - On Her Majesty's Secret Service - is easily the finest of the lot. While Lazenby is great, it's a shame Connery didn't bow out with this masterwork...and what an ending he would have made it.

I guess his return in Diamonds Are Forever is worth pointing out, as the fee he commanded was so great, the special effects budget was cut. But 100% of the money he made went to start-up his Scottish International Educational Trust...probably his most vital role.

RIP, Mr. Connery...the second last of the great, iconic male stars that was with us. Only Clint left now.

Not really. :grin:

It's John Huston's masterpiece The Man Who Would Be King, from 1975. Michael Caine was right when he said 'if there's only one film I'm remembered for, it'll be John Huston's. It's the best film Sean or I will ever be in.'

After that, you'd have to go...

2. The Hill (Sidney Lumet, 1965)
3. Robin and Marion (Richard Lester, 1976)
4. Marnie (Hitchcock, 1964)
5. Zardoz (John Boorman, 1974)
6. The Offence (Lumet, 1973)
7. The Molly Maguires (Martin Ritt, 1970)
8. The Frightened City (John Lemont, 1961)
9. The Great Train Robbery (Michael Crichton, 1978)
10. Time Bandits (Gilliam, 1981)

Pretty much everything after 1980 is forgettable. Connery, star as always, elevates the work in whatever he's in, but he's cashing the cheques in the main. The great directors have gone, productions are more predictable, the scripts dodgy. There's a great reason he gave it away for the past 20 years.

Obviously, his portrayal of Bond was iconic, and cast a very long shadow over his life and career. Without it, who knows what he may have done. But the films themselves, while fun, are pretty trashy and have dated beyond belief.

Connery knew playing Bond was a dead end, so was right to leave when he did. Though ironically the film made in his absence - On Her Majesty's Secret Service - is easily the finest of the lot. While Lazenby is great, it's a shame Connery didn't bow out with this masterwork...and what an ending he would have made it.

I guess his return in Diamonds Are Forever is worth pointing out, as the fee he commanded was so great, the special effects budget was cut. But 100% of the money he made went to start-up his Scottish International Educational Trust...probably his most vital role.

RIP, Mr. Connery...the second last of the great, iconic male stars that was with us. Only Clint left now.

Its all opinion ... half of those id call rubbish... but there you go. Time bandits? :oops: The man who would be king was often claimed by both be their favourite.. but neither bets film imo..but opinion is not fact ..just taste.

Its all opinion ... half of those id call rubbish... but there you go. Time bandits? :oops: The man who would be king was often claimed by both be their favourite.. but neither bets film imo..but opinion is not fact ..just taste.

Never said it was.

Out of interest, of the ten I listed, what 5 do you claim to be rubbish?

Re. Connery im just pissed no FTA channel has shown the Rock or Last Crusade. Couldnt be less interested in Bond films.

Some good ones on SBS movie channel:
Dont Breathe (fantastic horror/thriller 7/10)
American Animals 7/10
12 Years a Slave 9/10
The Rock is such a fun film - people just need to ignore the silliness behind it and something to just enjoy for a couple of hours

The Rock is such a fun film - people just need to ignore the silliness behind it and something to just enjoy for a couple of hours
Yeah that was alright. Forgot about that movie.
I seem to like all Nic Cage movies for some reason. Even if they're crap.

I couldnt take Snake eyes and 8mm? They were pretty sh*t. Rock, faceoff, con air = awesomeness
Oh yeah, forgot about 8mm. That was kinda s**t.
Snake eyes was ok just for the scene where the boxer was beating him up.
Yeah those last 3 movies you said are f**king sick.
Different genre but I love Leaving Las Vegas too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ahh Sweet. Not many people I know actually liked it. Even though I think it won Academy Awards and stuff.
The content was obviously pretty dark maybe hence the lack of wider appeal. Dw me- darker the better (same applies to comedy)

The content was obviously pretty dark maybe hence the lack of wider appeal. Dw me- darker the better (same applies to comedy)
I used to be like that. Now if I see a movie might be depressing I just won't watch it.
Just want to be mindless for a couple of hours lol.

Most f’ed up film ive probably seen is Irreversible. Man that movie haunted me for days after seeing it.
Never heard of that one sorry.
I remember watching Requiem for a Dream when I was really stoned and I was just down for a whole week.
Most f**ked up for me but in a funny way might be Human Centipede.

Never heard of that one sorry.
I remember watching Requiem for a Dream when I was really stoned and I was just down for a whole week.
Most f**ked up for me but in a funny way might be Human Centipede.

Its a movie shown in reverse order and has two incredibly long violent scenes in it. Completely screws with your head bc technically it has a happy "ending" yet it doesnt bc that is really the beginning

Yeah i got HC on dvd haha. I didn't want to see the second one

Its a movie shown in reverse order and has two incredibly long violent scenes in it. Completely screws with your head bc technically it has a happy "ending" yet it doesnt bc that is really the beginning

Yeah i got HC on dvd haha. I didn't want to see the second one
I just Googled it. Yeah I'm not gonna watch that. Bit much.
I watched the 3 of them hehe.
I don't mind s**t like that though. Love the Rob Zombie movies.

Once were Warriors is another shocking movie (shocking not as in terrible)
One of my fave ever movies. Love it so much. Can just about quote the whole thing.
Yeah one very harsh scene in particular.
First time I watched I didnt know. Thought it was sort of a happy movie then bang

I just Googled it. Yeah I'm not gonna watch that. Bit much.
I watched the 3 of them hehe.
I don't mind sh*t like that though. Love the Rob Zombie movies.

It was the rape scene that effected me. The fire hydrant scene i just laughed at, was just so ultra violent it looked amusing.

One of my fave ever movies. Love it so much. Can just about quote the whole thing.
Yeah one very harsh scene in particular.
First time I watched I didnt know. Thought it was sort of a happy movie then bang

Iirc stumbled upon it late night on ch7. Had no real idea what it was about, but yeah just punches you right in the chest. (No pun intended)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back