Retired Leon Baker

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a young talented footballer called Liam Baker - was hoping it may have been son of but not to be. Another L Baker would be nice in dons colours!

A guy who managed a site i was working on the other day that played wafl and at Port Douglas is mates with Leon - my excitement levels got a bit out of hand but information about this great man still elusive. Reckons Leon played bugger all footy after vfl (I thought he played in some country leagues for a few years). Baker watches Port Douglas games but occasionally gives advise from the sidelines but doesn't do any coaching. Like many have said on here he says Leon is quite private but very humble and a top guy. Has daughters but no sons ( was hoping for a f/s clone). This bloke also chatted with Sheeds who admitted Leon was his personal favorite Essendon player of all and best decision made during his era confirming the obvious man crush spoken about by Simon Madden. Anyhow I told this bloke also a mad Bombers fan to get Leon into writing "The Accidental Footballer" and that I would buy 10 copies.
I believe he coached the mighty Maffra Eagles in the LVFL in the early 90s. Think he was at the helm for a then rare GF appearance in '89.

Merv Neagle was with arch-nemesis Sale Magpies. I think Neil Clarke may have been too, but i'm unsure on that.

I wonder how it would have panned out for Leon Baker in the present day. Draft camps, academies, production line footballers. Taking time to travel wouldn't be an option obviously.

Scary that the system these days would deny some of the great players of the past who go through a different route or have a different temperament.

I wonder how it would have panned out for Leon Baker in the present day. Draft camps, academies, production line footballers. Taking time to travel wouldn't be an option obviously.

Scary that the system these days would deny some of the great players of the past who go through a different route or have a different temperament.

Leon would have tested badly at the camp... he wasn't quick at all. This was masked by an amazing footy brain, and lightning reflexes. There was some talk (by a champion player of the 70's & 80's) that he was a junior Davis Cup level tennis player, but I've never had it confirmed.

I also heard that he went down to Melbourne FC as a kid, but went home not long after. Lucky for us.

He would not have even bothered entering the draft if he was a kid today. He wasn't interested in the cash or fame, just the footy and his mates. Hell the day after the 84 Gf (correct me if I'm wrong) he and the wife buggered off overseas. Wasn't interested in all the other stuff.

He would not have even bothered entering the draft if he was a kid today. He wasn't interested in the cash or fame, just the footy and his mates. Hell the day after the 84 Gf (correct me if I'm wrong) he and the wife buggered off overseas. Wasn't interested in all the other stuff.
'85.

Was working on a site and Peter Ware the ex Swans hbf was there and got chatting. I asked who was the hardest player at the Swans - he responded "Shina" for Brad Shine who had a reckless attack on the ball. I then asked who was the best, he immediately responded "Leon".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was my first ever favourite player
My first love too. One of the things I noticed with him is he seemed to get teams going and kicking avalanches of goals in no time. 84 prelim 1st qtr, GF next week in the fourth. A couple of old Swan Districts games that have disappeared of YouTube they went on 10 goal to nil quarters and he was the main one kicking them - no one could do anything wrong. Very special player.

One of mine too - although I was probably more a Merv Neagle fan if I'm honest!
Baker was the first player I remember seeing with an earring though - at the Brownlow medal count. possibly 85?
Love the idea of that earring - go Leon

Merv was truly barnstorming. Unstoppable on the right day.

Wife’s name ? Spider. Tough , took a lot of punishment, classy. Two flags with Swan Districts then two with us. So good.
Yes they calI her Spider and was even on their wedding invites but I think her real name is Suzanne. In an EFC book I read Glenn Hawker said the girls loved Leon but he was oblivious to that and his talents - how good looking he was and how talented at football. Hawker then went on to say however that Spider was very aware of these things and kept a close eye on him at the social club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back