Universal Love LETS BE POSITIVE

Remove this Banner Ad

- We are 7-5 with 10 games left. We are 6 wins away from finals and have a favourable run home with 6 winnable games.

Geelong (H)
West Coast (A)
Port (A)
Gold Coast (H)
Sydney (A)
Richmond (H)
Essendon (A)
Brisbane (H)
West Coast (H)
Geelong (A)

Not sure this is so favourable for 6 wins. I have us WLLWLLWWLL. We might beat port but we might lose to Essendon away. So much rests on the team we put out on the park and their ability to mitigate turnovers by foot and kick straight between the big sticks.

We're coming off 2 wins 3 losses after falling over the line against the 16th and 17th teams.

Will take a big effort from here given the form of West Coast, Sydney, Richmond away and traveling to Kadinia Park is never fun.

Plenty of time for backslapping after we achieve something IMO.

We are actually a very competitive team.

Fix the goalkicking, and or the early game intensity, and we could have beaten Freo, Port, and Gws, and would have pushed Hawthorn.

We have only had one really bad game all year against the bulldogs.

We know we can play well, once we play to our abilty for 4 quarters, we will be a side no teams look forward to playing.

Last edited:
1) We are 7 and 5 and have the chance to finish the Pussycat's season on Sunday

2) Lever, Kelly, Laird, CEY, M Crouch, Cameron and Grigg have made great progress towards cementing their position in the AFL

3) We have a heap of KIDS who are showing promise in the SANFL

4) We are developing a game plan that will stand up in finals

5) We have the most loyal fans in the AFL, 1 finals appearance in the last 5 years and we still had the highest average home attendance last year.

6) Our administration haven't done anything embarrassing this year.

7) We have a coach who doesn't make excuses, gives entertaining press conferences and will probably thump Michelangelo before the end of the season.

8) We are 2 games clear of Poort Pear.

Plenty of positives that I can see.

So... Let's be positive.......OK challenge excepted!!

There is no stand out team this year. No one team that looks unbeatable. Playing finals could be a godsend for whomever scrapes in.
This could be our 97 all over again. Feast and famine during the the minor round while being overlooked by the Victorian press as any sort of chance for success. Did anyone see Robbo last night? He has no idea where we are at!............. Mate join the hordes!!

But victory by stealth could be our surprise weapon.
It's no secret we are heading towards some sort of Walsh master plan to play finals type football. It's looking a little demented in a "Wax on wax off" sort of way but perhaps soon the penny might drop! Daniel-San* will see the deeper purpose to all this hard training and fence painting.

There is a case to be presented for finals type football. PW must convince the Jury (the squad) that it will turn them from a high risk, high turnover, hot and cold slow starting unconvincing and generally average performing team, whom frustrate the hell out of their supporters, into a well oiled and confident group such as we haven't seen since the Blight Era!

2015 is ripe for the picking! The stars are aligning And Mr Miyagi* is Beconning!

*Any reference to the Karate Kid is of the 80s Classic Pat Morita version....not the snot nosed Smith brat

I knew this thread wasn't going to work perfectly. My contribution, we're not the worst effective disposal team in the comp!

If you surveyed the board at the beginning of the year they would've likely said a 6-8 finish would be seen as a good season. We're still on track for that. We've managed to come through a period of turmoil with a long injury list and we're 7-5. Port have had almost no injuries and their season is just about over.

People get doom and gloom about our list but:

- 8 Rising Star nominations in last 3.5 seasons including 1 winner
- 1 Rising Star nomination this year with Matt Crouch, Jake Lever and Jake Kelly among other possible nominations
- 2 players in the top 10 Overall AFL Player Ratings (Sloane and Danger)
- Jacobs 2nd best ruckman in AFL Player Ratings
- Eddie Bests best small-medium forward in AFL Player Ratings
- Champion Data ranked 6 of our players as Elite at the beginning of the year (Betts, Dangerfield, Jacobs, Talia, Sloane, Smith)
- Sloane, Walker, Douglas, Laird, Brown all signed contract extensions
- Some huge development from young players like CEY & Laird

The stench of the Trigg era is slowly fading, although our list is beginning to feel the effects of two years of no draft picks.

On the recruiting side of things, Lever looks a beauty and our success with late/rookie picks continues (CEY, Kelly and Cameron have all pushed their way into the side).

What I like about our current side is our grit. We sometimes play badly, turn the ball over, poor field kicking, diabolical kicking for goal, but somehow we hang tough and we are always a chance. Walsh has instilled a never-say-die attitude that will stand us in good stead, especially in finals.

Not sure anyone else said this but to be where we are in Walsh's first year is great.The second half of the year we should get better still as we know the game plan more and Walsh fixes as many errors as he can. I think it was Ross Lyon's first season at Fremantle they were average until the second half of the season.Good things to look forward to imo

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong (H)
West Coast (A)
Port (A)
Gold Coast (H)
Sydney (A)
Richmond (H)
Essendon (A)
Brisbane (H)
West Coast (H)
Geelong (A)

Not sure this is so favourable for 6 wins. I have us WLLWLLWWLL. We might beat port but we might lose to Essendon away. So much rests on the team we put out on the park and their ability to mitigate turnovers by foot and kick straight between the big sticks.

We're coming off 2 wins 3 losses after falling over the line against the 16th and 17th teams.

Will take a big effort from here given the form of West Coast, Sydney, Richmond away and traveling to Kadinia Park is never fun.

Plenty of time for backslapping after we achieve something IMO.

You need to look up the meaning of positive in the dictionary.

oS79yfQxrCXf3wh_goZSiQCVU2vQa1V4aJj11HmJySGeDNtEiKyi4KvXVVsqxMcG5-35hD3ueA9UgetNcKUa4f32hKMBxhs9eRycmSwMoDUR3w=w415-h354-nc

What if we need to do the former to achieve the latter?

We need to replace our worst kicks between the arcs.

Its not magic that Luke Beveridge is doing so well with the dogs and the 3rd youngest side in the comp. He hasn't baulked at dropping name players in order to pick youngsters in better form or who can best implement his game plan. He's thrown conservative 'safe' selections out the window and put a meritocracy in place and his players have responded, playing out of their skins with real pressure for spots and honest accountability amongst the playing group.

Phil could take a leaf out of his book about being brave and how fortune favours you when you are.
I hear what you're saying but Luke Beveridge does have the advantage of choosing from a pool of young kids with a lot of talent thanks to great draft picks and the trading out of older stars. Although some of our kids show potential, not many from what I've heard are demanding to be selected by their performances in the SANFL side. I do believe we should be giving the youngsters games but that is not the difference between us and the dogs.

The stench of the Trigg era is slowly fading, although our list is beginning to feel the effects of two years of no draft picks.

On the recruiting side of things, Lever looks a beauty and our success with late/rookie picks continues (CEY, Kelly and Cameron have all pushed their way into the side).
people need to get over the draft pick thing, honestly they are not feeling the effects of the draft picks, they are feeling the effects of 3 coaches in 5 years or any number of other things.

The draft pick issue has been hugely overblown and is simply another excuse, but I'm not sure why this board, which is happy to dimiss most excuses lets this one hang about.

people need to get over the draft pick thing, honestly they are not feeling the effects of the draft picks, they are feeling the effects of 3 coaches in 5 years or any number of other things.

The draft pick issue has been hugely overblown and is simply another excuse, but I'm not sure why this board, which is happy to dimiss most excuses lets this one hang about.
I agree that the 'draft picks' has been invalid excuse up till now. However, I am not very bullish about the list we have inherited and our lack of draft picks will make it hard to improve. Those sanctions have really hurt our future prospects and will take years to over come.

I agree that the 'draft picks' has been invalid excuse up till now. However, I am not very bullish about the list we have inherited and our lack of draft picks will make it hard to improve. Those sanctions have really hurt our future prospects and will take years to over come.
but the draft picks are in the past, they no longer have any meaning at all
Outside 1 or 2 posters who will try to, there is no way you can prove that our list would be better had we had the draft picks.

I'm happy to be annoyed with the previous administration, but our list is our list.

On a positive note, although we have started from a long way back and we have the penalty of draft sanctions hanging around our necks like an anchor as we plan for the future, I believe we have started to turn things around. Off field we have a rejuvenated administration. On field we have a new coach who seems to have a plan. Although ladder position wise I don't think we will improve this year, the future does look brighter.

I am positive, for the future.

We have a coach who from all public view of him appears to have a clue

We have a core list of outstanding players, we've managed to pick up rookies who are first 22 players.

Even if dangerfield leaves, which I don't think he will, we have so much upside its fantastic - I'm just having trouble getting over this season, despite this type of season clearly being on the cards the moment Walsh was appointed.

Interesting how both Sando and Walsh have said you have to get a player to 50 games before they become consistent members of a side. Tom Lynch has only reached that milestone now. People seem to judge him as a senior player almost. When he's on, he's a crucial member of our team and lets hope he starts gunning it up week in week out now.

Last edited:
Interesting how both Sando and Walsh have said you have to get a player to 50 games before they become consistent members of a side. Tom Lynch has only reached that milestone now. People seem to judge him as a senior player almost. When hes on hes a crucial member of our team and lets hope he starts gunning it up week in week out now.
I've always taken that to be an industry thing.

personally I reckon you can tell in about 20 games but he;;, I'm an arm chair critic

Remove this Banner Ad

Back