Toast Levi Casboult

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting to hear that Wayne Carey showed examples of Levi Casboult's marking to Jake Carlisle when he came to him for advice about playing as a marking key forward.

As long as they were the only pieces of advice Duck was handing out to Carlisle..

:cool: :D

Have been a huge fan of Levi's for a while and remember watching him for the Northern Blues in a final against North Ballarat where he took the game apart, was thrown into the ruck as Waite was Playing forward and virtually dragged the NB's into the lead with some huge marks and his physicality. Unfortunately we lost the game after Levi did his ankle after coming down from an attempted mark on some guys head.
Hopefully he will get better and better and he will extend that sort of play into his AFL games

Still surprising that Mitchell quickly fell by the way side and Casboult has prospered as a power forward. Squida looked like a deadeye in a few VFL games that were televised. Only AFL goal was a ripper after he dropped the mark and snapped it from 40 out. Guess Levi has a superior engine, intensity, second efforts and work rate. Plus he can get both arms above his head. :drunk:

Recall a few comments that Squid was a statue inside 50. HARKER and mediumsizered would have seen more of his games.

Squida was dropped last week.

Last edited:
Mitchell made Casboult look absolutely second rate through his first pre-season at the club.
Marking was superior, his smarts were clearly better, he had the better agility and no real need to mention the goal-kicking.
Just goes to show how important it is to keep working hard.

Casboult clearly had abilities but running wasn't one I thought he'd improve on.
The difference in even the past 12 months is quite remarkable.

EDIT:
Said it here before but it was somewhat funny watching the faces on Casboults opponents in the VFL, when they could hear him bearing down on them in a marking contest.
Fear factor of 10 at times.........:)

Last edited:
As I stated in a number of my VFL reports, Mitchell consistently struggled to get separation from his opponent. As he wasn't a great pack mark like Levi is, it meant Mitchell was only getting limited opportunities during games to kick goals.

The sort of running you see Levi doing is what Mitchell needed to add to his game to make him a dangerous forward.

As I stated in a number of my VFL reports, Mitchell consistently struggled to get separation from his opponent. As he wasn't a great pack mark like Levi is, it meant Mitchell was only getting limited opportunities during games to kick goals.

The sort of running you see Levi doing is what Mitchell needed to add to his game to make him a dangerous forward.

Mitchell just got progressively worse by the week in his last 24 months.
It didn't start off that way, though. People either forget or just didn't see.

By the end of last year Mitchell couldn't mark, couldn't hold his ground and couldn't even kick. He was shot............and McCarthy was even worse. :eek:

Mitchell was unlucky in that he was injured alot and I firmly believe that impacted on his development.

I did see Mitchell a few times at U18 level and he was able to get separation from his direct opponent and lead at the ball carrier.
But you're right, I don't recall seeing him take too many pack marks at that level either.

Mitchell was unlucky in that he was injured a lot and I firmly believe that impacted on his development.

Mitchell did mess his shoulder up a few times but I think there may have been more to his story than just that.
Always wondered whether family issues may have got in the way of his progress. We know the story of his brother.

Shouldn't speculate I guess but what I saw last year was not what I was looking at 2 years earlier and what Ratten and Mitchells team-mates were looking forward to. Nowhere near it.

Mitchell did mess his shoulder up a few times but I think there may have been more to his story than just that.
Always wondered whether family issues may have got in the way of his progress. We know the story of his brother.

Shouldn't speculate I guess but what I saw last year was not what I was looking at 2 years earlier and what Ratten and Mitchells team-mates were looking forward to. Nowhere near it.

He nearly didn't play any footy for his first 2 years at the club IIRC.
A far cry from what I saw him deliver in the TAC GF.

He nearly didn't play any footy for his first 2 years at the club IIRC.
A far cry from what I saw him deliver in the TAC GF.

I was talking about the pre-season where Mitchell looked terrific.

Ratten and his team-mates were announcing him as the next big thing and it certainly looked that way.
Unfortunately though it was all downhill from there for one reason or another.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the mark you are thinking of in the goal square was vs Leigh Montagna? He basically ignored him lol

Really think we need to keep in mind it isn't about him kicking 4 or 5 a week just yet, especially with the way we are playing as a team at the moment. Have to consider he is 24, a rookie draft prospect and is clearly working hard enough to make him a very good player for the future. Seems to be up on confidence so lets hope for a big few weeks to lead into a solid pre season. Because big KPP 25-26 is where you find out a lot more about them as a players.

Keep the faith :)

I don't really want to take credit for Levi's form but back in early march I was sitting a couple of tables away from big Levi and his family at the Laksa King in Flemington.

As I left the restaurant I walked past his table and gave him the nod to say 'believe in yourself big fella and you will go a long way'.

As I left the restaurant I walked past his table and gave him the nod to say 'believe in yourself big fella and you will go a long way'.
tumblr_lga79iMOyk1qg4ayxo1_400.gif

I don't really want to take credit for Levi's form but back in early march I was sitting a couple of tables away from big Levi and his family at the Laksa King in Flemington.

I was at Laksa King on Saturday night. The Sea Perch was magnificent...................Didn't see Levi though. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back