Player Watch Levi Greenwood (Retired 2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Myself and my mate spoke to James brayshaw on arrival into Adelaide today. My mate brought up Levi Greenwood in conversation to which Braysahe replied "you can have him for 480k a year - not work that at all"
Fair to say by the reaction and tone of his voice he didn't leave on good terms.

He mad brah.

Funny considering they offered Higgins a s**t load of cash and Higgins is s**t.

Myself and my mate spoke to James brayshaw on arrival into Adelaide today. My mate brought up Levi Greenwood in conversation to which Braysahe replied "you can have him for 480k a year - not work that at all"
Fair to say by the reaction and tone of his voice he didn't leave on good terms.

What's the gimp off the footy show doing discussing NM club matters?

Unfortunately I was one of those sucked into the prospect of a massive signing post 2015...
Yep, im the same. Don't get me wrong im happy with Greenwood, but not at 480k. Cant expect to be signing the crem de lacrem like Dangerfield if were paying someone like Greenwood 500. There's only 3 blokes on our list who should be anywhere near that figure, Cloke (take out last year), Pendles and Sidey (back half of last year was outstanding).

Pretty immature response from him.
Obviously hurt that he's left the club, but I'd expect a bit more from a senior official.

Hes probably not worth 480 a year so technically hes right.. But he fills a hole in our list and we had some cap room, so we poached him, to replace a (far superior) player who was poached from out club. Brayshaw has to get over it.

Yep, im the same. Don't get me wrong im happy with Greenwood, but not at 480k. Cant expect to be signing the crem de lacrem like Dangerfield if were paying someone like Greenwood 500. There's only 3 blokes on our list who should be anywhere near that figure, Cloke (take out last year), Pendles and Sidey (back half of last year was outstanding).

I doubt that theres any football club in the country that pays every player "the right amount" according to their abilities. Often its right time, right place.Every club will have players getting paid too much and others getting paid not enough. You need to throw some extra coin every now and again to recruit for need. With the loss of Ball Maxwell Beams O'Brien etc, there is plenty of cap room for us to throw a little extra at Greenwood, who quite frankly with a young list, is somebody we desperately needed.

And of course hes coming off a "second in the b&f in a top four team" season. If he backs that up going forward he will prove to have been a bargain.

Wonder if Eddie is saying the same about Beams :p

No I doubt it.

But the comments above about Higgins were sound. If I were Greenwood on whatever he was on (call it 350) and the club poached the hacks Waite and Higgins on big money, it woudl make you think about your percieved value at the club. Add to that he'd been a whipping boy at North for many years and had only just started to gain respect.

I'm likewise happy with his addition.

The reality that many will miss though is that because of the artificial market created by FA paying overs to get mid tier players will largely restrict your ability to attract top tier players. It's very much a case of you can't afford to pay overs for both!

I'd like to see us trading out our first rounder post 2015, if certain youngsters come on as hoped, for another top 10 list fit, but Dangerfield or some such player is pie in the sky stuff...

Well - They offered him Joke of a Contract during the Year.

That would Pissed off Levi.

Plus Brayshaw is so far up himself he thinks he is always right

The reality that many will miss though is that because of the artificial market created by FA paying overs to get mid tier players will largely restrict your ability to attract top tier players. It's very much a case of you can't afford to pay overs for both!

I'd like to see us trading out our first rounder post 2015, if certain youngsters come on as hoped, for another top 10 list fit, but Dangerfield or some such player is pie in the sky stuff...

We would at least make the Semi’s next season for that to Happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have traded out first rounders in the past and will do it again. Sometimes you trade them out, sometimes you trade them in, sometimes you leave it alone. Agree that with all the youth on our books now, with all going well our first round pick might well be for sale this year.

We have traded out first rounders in the past and will do it again. Sometimes you trade them out, sometimes you trade them in, sometimes you leave it alone. Agree that with all the youth on our books now, with all going well our first round pick might well be for sale this year.
IF we have a Pick outside the Top 10 I can see it being on the Trading Block

It's not a matter of the first rounder being for sale.

We need to learn from the Beams/Ryder/Griffen/Boyd situations this off-season, and just target a player and make them demand a trade to us. From what we know now, teams will basically fold and accept whatever trade is feasible for that club to make when a player demands it, because they don't want to lose them for nothing and they won't want to keep them on their list as a malcontent.

People are obsessed with the guys that are either out of contract or Free Agents, but Beams and Ryder both managed to force their way to new teams while under contract and strictly against the wishes of their teams. The Griffen/Boyd trade was wild too, but still shows that contracts mean virtually nothing in football these days, and it would be worrying to me if our footy department was genuinely unable to entice any significant players here.

We need to learn from the Beams/Ryder/Griffen/Boyd situations this off-season, and just target a player and make them demand a trade to us. From what we know now, teams will basically fold and accept whatever trade is feasible for that club to make when a player demands it, because they don't want to lose them for nothing and they won't want to keep them on their list as a malcontent.

People are obsessed with the guys that are either out of contract or Free Agents, but Beams and Ryder both managed to force their way to new teams while under contract and strictly against the wishes of their teams. The Griffen/Boyd trade was wild too, but still shows that contracts mean virtually nothing in football these days, and it would be worrying to me if our footy department was genuinely unable to entice any significant players here.

So we just offer Cameron a Massive Contract then?

That's a frontloaded deal though - He's not getting 480k per year over each year of the deal.
Exactly....why are people so mad. Offer him a front loaded contract of say $480k per year for 2 years and then 300-350k for the final 2 years. It prices North out of the player. Good business practice if you ask me. Why people are so mad I do not know

Might have to Upgrade our 1st Rounder then
Way to early to call something like that. All we know now is that he's rated as a first rounder. Even that could change in 12 months.

I think Timmy is big enough to answer for himself, but I assumed that he meant something along the lines of what you presented as well which is something that I to agree with.

My concern is obviously that signing the likes of White, Greenwood and Varcoe on relative overs restricts our ability to target someone of real top end quality...

Time will tell though.

I think Timmy is big enough to answer for himself, but I assumed that he meant something along the lines of what you presented as well which is something that I to agree with.

My concern is obviously that signing the likes of White, Greenwood and Varcoe on relative overs restricts our ability to target someone of real top end quality...

Time will tell though.
I'd be surprised if the club put themselves in a position where they wouldn't be able to accommodate a big name signing if the opportunity presented itself.

I'm sure someone with a contact posted here that they leave themselves room to move around payments to sign an $800k+ player if need be a few months ago.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back