Traded Lewis Taylor (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Country MVP each averaged about 7 or 8 disposals per game less than he did and it wasn't because they were superb users of the ball (they certainly weren't) it was because of the problems Lewis created. I really do hope I am being overly harsh with him but it is important to recognise that there are some very real issues with his game that need to be addressed.
You have a detailed knowledge of the under 18 scene Quigley, I have very little, and your assessments seem to me to be always well-informed and incisive. I just thought your phantom draft write-up of him came across as harsh and borne out of your obvious frustration with his deficiencies as you observed them. (I should add that at least one other author largely agreed with your assessment). Whether it was overly harsh only time will tell. Maybe I have been influenced by what we now know about his life challenges. If so, I accept that I may not be entirely balanced in my assessment of your comments. To add to my obvious prejudice, as a small bloke, I would love nothing more than for him to succeed at AFL level. He was chosen to captain Vic Country so some see him as having leadership qualities and hopefully they will help him overcome any deficiencies he may have.:)

Doesn't the AFL only invite 15 players with their parents to attend the draft from those nominated by clubs to be in the frame for the top 10 selection?

From Quigley's Phantom Draft:

"As a Brisbane supporter I think he is a clone of Justin Sherman the way he runs himself into trouble time after time after time"

I can understand his concern, but surely the Lions have developed a vaccine for this after suffering Shermo?

Yeah. It's called trading him away for a first rounder. :p

I really should be to old and cynical to be developing a man-crush on an 18 year old footballer, but I am seriously liking everything I read about Lewis Taylor. He just seems like a good kid, who is honest and hard working and loves his footy and wants tog et the most of himself. I honestly don't think i've been this enamoured of a new player since Danny Dickfos.

Picking through the draft
22 November, 2013
Emma Quayle

THE BARGAIN
One club had Lewis Taylor at No. 7 on its list. He was at the draft and had to sweat it out until the Lions picked him at 28. Taylor is small, but quick and creative. He'll work hard to improve his running patterns, he'll play with energy and he won't let the Lions down.

Jeez, he is a solid little unit already, int he?

Of all the draftees this year, not just ours, after reading Emma Quayles article on him I hope he makes it. Wont be for lack of trying if he does not. Just his character will be a bonus for our group.

Picking through the draft
22 November, 2013
Emma Quayle

Only 5 sets of twins? Did not a couple of siblings called Scott play a few games?

The Kolodjashnijs – Kade is a running defender, Jake a taller one – became just the fifth set of twins drafted, behind Steven and Matthew Febey (in 1986, the first draft), Ryan and Nathan Lonie (2001), Troy and Adam Selwood (2002) and Nathan and Mitch Brown (2006).

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/picking-through-the-draft-20131122-2y0t7.html#ixzz2lSfFDbpy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freeman: Taller, stronger, faster
Taylor: Cleaner, better disposal, smarter

I think overtime Freeman will have the better disposal, but if Lewis cleans up his kicking and stops making mistakes (aka the 20m chip pass that lands in front of the player putting him under pressure) then disposal won't be an issue.

What is the article you guys are referring to?

Not sure if it was posted online. Was in the Saturday paper. Rest of the article was fairly typical, quick summary of EQ's terrific work, but nice to know his dad is a Lion.

I've never seen Taylor play a minute of football, so i find it interesting that there are two almost polar opposite views on him. This makes me believe that he has some strong weapons but also some glaring flaws in his game.

If that is the case the comparison to Sherman would appear to be apt.

Justin was a very talented player that really could have been anything. However, from the outside looking in it seemed that his ego got in the way of his development that he didn't have the desire or inclination to work on the flaws of his game. I think this attitude rather than his talent is the reason why he is no longer an AFL player.

The flaws that have been highlighted in Taylor's game all appear fixable, should Taylor have the dedication and desire to work on these areas. From reading the kids background , I choose to believe that he will work hard on improving his game.

I think that there is a real opportunity for Zorko to take Taylor under his wing and teach him what a player of his size needs to do to be successful at AFL level.

BZla8wTCMAAENIx.jpg

Descendent from a merger
November 25, 2013
Sam Lord

Long-time Lions member Andrew Mazzallo, recently brought it to the Club’s attention that new draftee Lewis Taylor is a direct descendent from the merger between Fitzroy and the Brisbane Bears.

In a roundabout way, Taylor’s journey to becoming a Brisbane Lions player can be traced way back to 1996 – when the Geelong Falcons junior was just 18 months old.

It can all be traced back to Nick Carter, who was one of the eight pre-listed Fitzroy players who joined the newly merged Lions in Brisbane at the end of the 1996 AFL season.

After just two seasons at the Brisbane Lions, Carter was traded to Melbourne for Pick No.45, which was used by the Club to recruit Aaron Shattock.

Shattock spent five seasons in Brisbane and was part of the Lions’ 2002 premiership triumph, before he was traded to Port Adelaide at the end of 2004.

As part of the deal that saw Shattock join the Power, the Lions received Pick No.45 and used it to draft exciting Tasmanian teenager Justin Sherman.

Sherman played 114 matches with the Lions from 2005-2010, but ended up being traded to the Western Bulldogs in exchange for their third-band compensation selection (received for losing Jarrod Harbrow to the newly formed Gold Coast).

The Lions chose to activate that particular selection at the 2011 AFL National Draft, and used it to recruit West Australian Elliot Yeo.

Yeo ultimately requested a trade back home at the end of the 2013 season, and the Club reluctantly traded him to West Coast for the Eagles’ second round selection (Pick No.28).

At last Thursday’s AFL National Draft, Lewis Taylor was welcomed into the Club courtesy of that Pick No.28.

Taylor_Australia-hero.jpg

Far out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back