Traded Lewis Taylor (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeeeeeeah look it's a good one.

Yep - Already receiving the 'special treatment' from the fans! [junior clinic Sun 18th May 2014 Brunswick St Oval] :D
paj9b1c.png

Yep - Already receiving the 'special treatment' from the fans! [junior clinic Sun 18th May 2014 Brunswick St Oval] :D
paj9b1c.png

I wish this was patfullfankezz 's caption contest.

'Lewis Taylor adjusts the collar on a young fan's jacket'.

The little fella is back home for the weekend - signed a No.28 jumper for No.2 son today - the Hampden connection with Lions continues.:):thumbsu:

Didn't really make the connection until just now...(a bit slow i know) but i love that whenever Squizzy is running around, the other teams will see that the number on his back was his pick in the draft.

The Three Amigos: Lions' 'weapon' set to excite

THE BRISBANE Lions’ troupe of busy small forwards known as ‘The Three Amigos’ is a collective "weapon" that will excite Lions fans for years to come, coach Justin Leppitsch says. Although largely understated after his side's upset eight-point win over the Western Bulldogs at Etihad Stadium on Saturday night, Leppitsch was effusive in his praise of Dayne Zorko, Josh Green and Lewis Taylor. Zorko (19 disposals, 1.2 and two score assists) set the Lions alight in the second term with some brilliant busts and ball use, while Green (18 touches and two goals) and Taylor (21) were also pivotal with their line-breaking running and clear decision-making.

"We have a weapon, I think, and one that'll be around for a long period of time. So our fans can be really excited," Leppitsch said post-match when asked about the damaging trio. "They all talk to each other too, The Three Amigos – they don't leave each other's side throughout the week either. "It's a terrific strength we've got. Hopefully we can maximise it every week … and they can contribute like they did tonight." Leppitsch said skipper Jonathan Brown (two goals) had again played a key role, and had helped Zorko, Green and Taylor to "get into the game".

Meet Brisbane's 'Mozzie Squad'

THE Mozzie Squad has Brisbane buzzing. Lions small forwards Josh Green (176cm, 80kg), Dayne Zorko (174cm, 78kg) and Lewis Taylor (173cm, 77kg) may be small but together they have had a giant impact on turning around the club’s fortunes.

Their fast, fearless and frenetic run-and-carry has become a genuine weapon for Brisbane who are gunning for three straight wins when they take on GWS at the Gabba on Saturday night. They have even developed a bit of attitude, clipping senior coach Justin Leppitsch for incorrectly referring to them as The Three Amigos. “We had to let Leppa know he got it wrong. It’s the Mozzie Squad. We are all under 180cm so everyone is against us. We have to stick together,’’ Green said. “Leppa has been great for all three of us. He has given us a licence to use our pace and really take the game on. “We like to start up the ground and sprint back towards goal and open up that space for the midfield which is quite important for the team.

In his first year in senior football, 19-year-old Taylor has kicked four goals and shown he belongs at the top level.
388518-cbdd5090-f1e4-11e3-bdd0-129fc100f038.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Little Lion thrives under heavy load

LEWIS Taylor is the smallest player in Brisbane’s side, with the team’s biggest job. In the evolution of the game in recent years, the most rapid change has been in the position of small forward. Once their primary role was to crumb the feet of the big full forwards. But players such as Taylor are now expected to push up the ground to fill a role within the team's stoppage setup, before charging back to equalise numbers inside their forward 50 and serve as the first line of defence if the ball is turned over. Oh, and a couple of goals a game would be handy too.

“It is the toughest position to play, and I would have thought it was the hardest running position in modern footy,” said Lions coach Justin Leppitsch. “Lewy's natural talent is the reason why he can play there. If you can't read the play, the game is going to bypass you, you will get stuck in the middle with the ball sailing over your head.” The progression of high forwards gained pace with legendary Leigh Matthews’ transformation of Craig McRae, a celebrated teammate of Leppitsch’s in the Lions premiership years of 2001-03. “I would have thought Craig was one of the first, he had one goal and 10 tackles a game. He was one of the first defensive minded small forwards,”' Leppitsch said. Leppitsch has revealed the role has evolved to the point that Taylor’s weekly review no longer takes into consideration how many goals he has kicked. “We would like a contribution of goals from our small forwards but don't set individual targets. His KPIs are around contested possession and tackles and also stoppage compliance,'' Leppitsch explained.

317199-3a50baf2-f8da-11e3-9463-539ac6ca705b.jpg

I personally rate him up there with Aish and Mayes in terms of importance for our future. Very exciting. He showed brilliant awareness, evidenced by his sidestep tonight. Shows real composure at times. Really good evening for a the biggest steel of the 2013 draft.

You'd think there would have to be quite a few clubs kicking themselves for not taking Taylor considering how seamlessly he has adapted and thrived at AFL level.
Had a convo about this tonight with my footy cronies. Considering the chat about high draft picks if ever there was proof that players do not have to be high draft picks Lewis Taylor is certainly one.

If he has a few more games like tonight he could be a smokey for the rising star :eek:

I think so, he has already played some solid games.
Just knows how to get the football and has the right tools to do something with it.
What a player, what a future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back