Lindsay Thomas - any takers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Try it using Harvey, one of the greatest small men ever in the game, you'll be amazed at the response, better still ask what Carey's value would be when he was 25. :thumbsu: for giving it a shot.

Didnt answer my question pal, do you think thomas should be viewed In the same regard as wayne carey or brent harvey?

Didnt answer my question pal, do you think thomas should be viewed In the same regard as wayne carey or brent harvey?
sorry bud I did not take your question seriously, comparing Thomas to what I believe is the greatest player to ever pull on a pair of footy boots or a bloke pound for pound that you could argue the same, the answer is pretty obvious, don't you think.

Lindsay would be one of the most hated players by opposition supporters, a bit like the Krakeour boys back in the 80s, you then ask these same supporters what they would trade for him, this is just plain dumb (the question, not you). I have a feeling you have missed my point completely, but keep on keeping on mate. :)

Would you give up your first and second pick for our first?

No.
A) we're using our first pick on Darcy Moore as a F/S.
B) he's not worth anything like that. That's not criticising him. There aren't many players who are worth pick 8 and pick 28-ish in exchange for pick 15. If he were seriously on the market, I would be willing to trade our second rounder. We really need a crumbing small forward to jump on chances Cloke creates.

well you're obviously
a) that's wright
or
b) not a north melbourne supporter

no genuine north melbourne supporter would take pick 30 for arguably the most consistent small forward in the comp over the last three years.
your post is wrong. it's insulting. it's ridiculous. show some respect for your players who have done the business consistently for a side you apparently support.

He kicked 53 goals last year and 45 this year. Lloyd was a diver/stager/flopper as well but you ignore for the goals they add.

He is with some of the best small to mid forwards in the Afl the last 2 years.

Lloyd was one of the last truly great full forwards.

How you summarised he is how we all summarise Lindsay. Loved him missing out on that certain free kick right in front of goal cause the umps thought he was staging. "boy who cried wolf" at it's finest :D

Lloyd was one of the last truly great full forwards.

How you summarised he is how we all summarise Lindsay. Loved him missing out on that certain free kick right in front of goal cause the umps thought he was staging. "boy who cried wolf" at it's finest :D
Great as he was he had admitted to diving for frees. Now on your board there is a whole thread on LTs antics - yet most of those posters would have clapped home the goal after Lloyd had taken a dive. It's double standards.

Was Lloyd the last player to kick more than 50 goals in a year at Essendon? We played Essendon twice this year and he kicked 7 goals - only 1 from a free. He can play.

Great as he was he had admitted to diving for frees. Now on your board there is a whole thread on LTs antics - yet most of those posters would have clapped home the goal after Lloyd had taken a dive. It's double standards.

Was Lloyd the last player to kick more than 50 goals in a year at Essendon? We played Essendon twice this year and he kicked 7 goals - only 1 from a free. He can play.

To be brutally honest, most of the comp is awake to his crap and feel the same about his diving and staging.

To be brutally honest, most of the comp is awake to his crap and feel the same about his diving and staging.
Same as Lloyd - but like Lloyd you take the good with the crap. He walks into every side - and in some case becomes the best forward.

You thought the pick for Crameri was unders - Thomas is a much better player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same as Lloyd - but like Lloyd you take the good with the crap. He walks into every side - and in some case becomes the best forward.

You thought the pick for Crameri was unders - Thomas is a much better player.

I personally didn't. I don't rate Crameri that highly, not like others do.

You as in the majority of ess supporters.

You lost 30 goals and went backwards after Crameri left.

Would be a big task to replace the 50 LT can produce.

Sometimes you need to go backwards to go forwards though. Im not sure if we will (or Norf will if they moved Lindsay on)

No way would Pies want him, J. Elliot > L. Thomas

Stats for 2014

J. Elliot - 15.1 DISP 5.9 Marks 3.5 Tackles 1.9 Goals (per game)

L. Thomas - 11.9 DISP 2.6 Marks 2.5 Tackles 2.0 Goals (per game)

Last edited:
No way would Pies want him, J. Elliot > L. Thomas

Stats for 2014

J. Elliot - 15.1 DISP 5.9 Marks 3.5 Tackles 1.9 Goals (per game)

L. Thomas - 11.9 DISP 2.6 Marks 2.5 Tackles 2.0 Goals (per game)

They're quite different players. Elliott gets up the field a bit more, and is more of a marking forward compared to Thomas who is a better crumber than Elliott. I think they'd complement each other really well.

A forward line for us next year that featured Cloke, Mitch Clark, Elliott and Thomas would be deadly. Except Thomas isn't up for trade and I don't know if we would have the currency to get him across and do the other stuff we want to do.

Maybe you should looking at this...

Some of the best small forwards of the past 10 years + some of the up and coming current ones and their draft positions:

Lindsay Thomas - pick 53, ND, 2006
Eddie Betts - pick 3 PSD, 2005
Hayden Ballantyne - pick 21, ND, 2008
Stephen Milne - pick 23, rookie draft, 2000
Paul Medhurst - pick 56, ND, 2001
Adam Schneider - pick 60, ND, 2001
Aaron Davey - pick 3, rookie draft, 2004
Leon Davis - pick 34, ND, 1999
Mark LeCras - pick 37, ND, 2004
Daniel Giansiracusa - pick 32, ND, 1999

Michael Walters - pick 53, ND, 2008
Luke Breust - pick 47, rookie draft, 2009
Josh Green - pick 32, ND, 2010
Harry Cunningham - pick 93, rookie draft, 2012
Paul Puopolo - pick 66, ND, 2010
Luke Dahlhaus - pick 22, rookie draft, 2011
Devon Smith - pick 14, ND, 2011

High picks like Wingard, Harley Bennell, B & S. Johnson, Rioli, Chapman all had/have aspirations from their team to go into the midfield, something Thomas hasn't done yet. Other good small forwards like Steve Motlop (pick 39 2008) also go into the midfield.

Looking at that list, it seems you can easily go deep into the national draft or even the rookie draft to pick up a good small forward, which is why no club would be giving up a pick inside the top 30 for Thomas. Pick 35-45 would be my nomination.

Terrible call, where the player was drafted has no bearing on their value at the trade table. The reason small forwards go later is because recruiters fear that they may not have enough strings to their bow to play other positions at AFL level if they are not able to make it as a small forward and therefore have a higher risk factor.

Look at where some of the elite inside midfielders were picked like Fyfe (Pick #20), Beams (Pick #29), JPK (Pick #40), Watson (Pick #40), Parker (Pick #40), Sloane (Pick #44), Rockliff (Pick #5 PSD), Barlow (Pick #8 RD), Priddis (Pick #31 RD) and Kieran Jack (Pick #57 RD). That's about half of the elite midfielders of the competition taken in the second round and beyond.

As much as I dislike Thomas' antics and doggery, there is no looking past the fact that he is one of the elite small forwards of the competition and would command a pick in the vicinity of a late first rounder.

It's a moot point though as he will be eligible for free agency soon and no one will trade picks for him when they will be able to lure him for free.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back