List Mgmt. List Management: Which players will retire or be delisted/traded? Poll

Which players will retire or be delisted?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Out - (5 to 7 players)

Retired
Caddy, Lambert, Edwards, Parker

De-listing
Martyn

Trade out
RCD, Soldo

In - (5 to 7 players)

Trade In
Taranto, Hooper

Elevations - Rookie to Main List
Pickett, Miller

National Draft
Pick 30, ???, ???

Rookie Draft
???

Midseason Draft
???

Four retirements and two trades in, leaves us with only two draft picks. That may be all we wish to take after last year draft haul. I feel we are likely to make at least one delisting but possibly two. I have doubts about trading player out too but if anyone is to go RCD and Soldo would be it given the interest from other clubs and their possible lack of opportunities next year.

What Blair Hartley said on Trade Radio sounded bleak for RCD and Stack, though he didn’t explicitly say they would be delisted.

So state of play as of now:

Caddy Edwards Lambert Parker retired. So far replaced by Bauer, Taranto, Hopper. So this would seem to leave a surplus of one list spot.

It would seem near impossible to me that Aarts and Martyn would not be delisted, but you can never be completely certain. If Stack and RCD go as well that would seem to create 5 open list spots. Which seems a hell of a lot to be fill by low draft picks and rookie picks and possibly delisted free agents.

Whatever is the case it seems we will know in the coming days from what Hartley said.

Retirements cotchin reiwoldt Grimes tarrant. Rd 2, 3, 4, and 5 of draft. Not much more room for delistings, only trade for picks? (Unless a free agent comes in or we find a moneyball player and pick for a pick)

Retirements cotchin reiwoldt Grimes tarrant. Rd 2, 3, 4, and 5 of draft. Not much more room for delistings, only trade for picks? (Unless a free agent comes in or we find a moneyball player and pick for a pick)
Grimes will go around again. Probably delist one of Miller and Biggie. Hopefully land one of Himmelberg and McKay as free agents.

Suspect it will be just Tarrant, Cotchin and Riewoldt who will retire.

Broad may leave as a free agent. Dow probably the most likely to be delisted.

I may be wrong with Biggie, but think as he’s only been on the rookie list for a year or two he can stay on it; so I suspect he may just do that.

Suspect Grimes will go around for one more year. One of the reasons Cotchin and Riewoldt went around again was that there was already retirement of senior players (Lambert and Edwards). The club has been keen to not have a mass retirement of players if it can be avoided. If the three likely to go do, I think they’ll try and get Grimes to stay.

I may be wrong with Biggie, but think as he’s only been on the rookie list for a year or two he can stay on it; so I suspect he may just do that.

Suspect Grimes will go around for one more year. One of the reasons Cotchin and Riewoldt went around again was that there was already retirement of senior players (Lambert and Edwards). The club has been keen to not have a mass retirement of players if it can be avoided. If the three likely to go do, I think they’ll try and get Grimes to stay.
In hindsight Tarrant should have stayed at North at least he would have been a one club player, but probably would have been paid less for the last 2 years.

You're right it doesn't make sense for too many players to go because we only have 1 pick per round of the draft, but on the other side if the older player is slowing down and the younger player is building we would be better off with the younger player? A defence of Balta, Gibcus and Young seems like a good trio to work together.

If we get a compensation pick for Broad at least that's another decent prospect to replace an older player. Ideally there would be interest in someone like a soldier to get us one more decent pick, with Ryan moving to second ruck.

In the 22 I think the younger players are thereabouts to be the equals of our older players slowing down, bar reiwoldt I reckon. If bradke and Bauer don't show anything we don't have anything to replace him (Ryan looks too slow to me).

It's going to be a tough list management. All that would help us is some interest in older players returning home like a broad and McIntosh, with our 5 2022 draftees looking most likely to replace players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're right it doesn't make sense for too many players to go because we only have 1 pick per round of the draft, but on the other side if the older player is slowing down and the younger player is building we would be better off with the younger player? A defence of Balta, Gibcus and Young seems like a good trio to work together.

If we get a compensation pick for Broad at least that's another decent prospect to replace an older player. Ideally there would be interest in someone like a soldier to get us one more decent pick, with Ryan moving to second ruck.

In the 22 I think the younger players are thereabouts to be the equals of our older players slowing down, bar reiwoldt I reckon. If bradke and Bauer don't show anything we don't have anything to replace him (Ryan looks too slow to me).

It's going to be a tough list management. All that would help us is some interest in older players returning home like a broad and McIntosh, with our 5 2022 draftees looking most likely to replace players.

Another consideration is that a player taken in the National Draft is automatically given a two year contract. If you’re taking guys because of too much list turnover (so multiple picks in round five etc.) you run the risk of selecting players that don’t deserve multiple year contracts, and may mean that a player you’d like to keep the following year needs to be cut because of the mandatory list changes that each team must make each season.

Insofar as young players getting on par as they develop and the older players regress; I suspect that the club thing the same and is why Riewoldt and Cotchin were rested against the Dogs.

In terms of Broad, obviously compensation for free agency is tied to the contract so it’s impossible to know. But I’d surprised if we received anything better than a third round pick back to be honest.

Also, the solider’s you mention - should they wish to go to another team - would probably likewise generate a lower pick (third round etc.). Generally the club won’t stand in a players way to get a better opportunity. See guys like Dan Butler.

Will be an interesting list management period regardless I suspect.

Back