Living alone

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh wow, if I move to New York's eastside, I could be just like one of the Sex and the City girls.

I could walk around buying shoes and going to art shows, and being tolerant to everyone except those who arent shallow, vacuous, condescending and utter ****wits

Then I can adopt a humourous, celbrity-conscious and stylistic gay man as a best friend and start telling people Im jewish.

I'd fit in well :)

You'd have to live in Greenwich Village though. :)

Anything under $500 a week is good. I'm in Elizabeth Bay Sydney $410 a week. I hate Sydney :thumbsu: I just wanted to say that.

Seconded. Hole.

I have lived by myself, lived in huge sharehouses full of mad bastards and lived long term with a partner.

Split up with my missus a year ago and moved with a mate's boyfriend (said mate is a girl).

It works well, if only because both of us a) also get along real well but more importantly b) have both lived in enough share houses/flats to finally know what the triggers are for tension.

IE - we haven't had one disagreement about cash largely because we both pay our bills on time all the time.

Even though he's vego and I am a definite carnivore, we both tend to look out for each other when eating etc. For example, on Monday, he'll say 'Hey mate, got some pals around on Thursday for dinner'. So I'll make plans to go out on Thursday or eat out or whatever. I'm not going to cook a rib eye steak when he's obviously cooking vego stuff.

By the same token, I'll text him on a Saturday if I do see a bit of meat that needs eaten and say 'Steak on tomorrow mate, should I get one for you?' and he'll either head out, or more often than not, just stay in, but appreciate the warning.

Same with cleaning etc. Neither of us are clean freaks but you know yourself when the dishes need doing, or a vacuum done, and we just do it. Again, getting onto 12 months later, we haven't had a blue about cleaning.

Interestingly, his GF, my original mate, moved in recently too. But becasue I tend to work officey type hours(ish), out the door by 8AM anyway and back around similar in the PM if not before, and she owns a bar and almost always works nights, then we are never in each others pockets and so basically, the rent/bills are just lessened for no hassle. Its very rare all three of us spend a night together in the flat.

All in all, this works really really well, but at the same time, the only reason it does is because all three of us have done the hard yards in flat/house sharing.

Really though, if you have people mid to late 20s earning decent (f/t) money, then the key triggers to house sharing stress - bills not being paid etc, people too immature to clean up their own mess - should be avoidable.

That said, when I get back to Oz next year I'm going to be sharing a gaff with my best mate who is a pro poker player and general mad bastard so who knows.

Got to love the posts bagging out Sydney. :D

Generally i reckon the only people that would disagree are the ones that have lived in Sydney their whole life and never been out of the state. :p

Hole. Can't wait til i am overseas next year.

Anyway, to get back on topic. Have lived on my own for about 6 months after i split up with the missus. Was great, but i'm a Scottish tight arse and hated that there wasn't a 2nd income to help out when bills came in the mail.

But, was it balanced out by the fact i could do whatever i wanted, when i wanted? Possibly.

Did live with a mate for a while actually too. (No longer a mate :p) He was a pretty easy going fella, but i was always arking up at him. He was a chef and done long hours, sometimes wasn't home until 11-12 at night so i was in bed before he got home.

When he cooked a meal in the kitchen after getting home from work, he really cooked a meal. I mean every dish and utensil it seemed was used. Mess everywhere, couldn't even put the plates in the sink after he'd used them, they'd be still sitting in the living room.

His room stank too. Didn't have drawers to put his clothes in. He used plastic bags. :eek:

Bumping the thread, bout to look after a place for 3 months and ill be by myself....

If you can afford it, live by yourself. You can do what you want, when you want. Play your own music, don't have to worry about splitting bills (water, electricity, etc, etc), don't have to worry about flatmates stealing your food.

Don't you get lonely?

I had a housemate up until a couple of years ago. Lived alone for two years. Currently got a housemate on a short term (<12mths) basis.

There's good and bad stuff about both. In the end I think it mostly comes down to how much time you spend at home, and how private/social you are.

My last housemate was when we both had jobs that involved a lot of travel. As a result we both had the house to ourselves here and there because we were both regularly going away for weekly stretches.

My current housemate is a uni student. It's less a proper housemate arrangement and more me renting out my spare room. I barely see him because he sleeps in late and has class in afternoons/evenings, and I'm at work during the daytime. He tends to go home most weekends so I don't really have to fight over the TV or anything.

Works out pretty well really. Makes use of the spare room, I get a bit of extra money, it's someone to talk to, and there's more incentive for me to keep the place clean and tidy with someone else around. On the other hand because he's more of a subtenant I don't have to deal with a lot of the hassles of someone who's an equal-rights housemate.

When I did it a few years ago it was a bit depressing for the first week sitting there by yourself in a big empty house.. Then on the first weekend thought **** it and spent a fair bit of $$ on a decent TV, computer, heater and other stuff to make the place more comfy which really helped, soon settled right in. Both best my mates leaving to work away and changing a long time job all at the exact same time probably made it worse.

It's funny though, later on when car pooling with an apprentice at a new job he sort of thought it was weird living alone, I think he said something like 'Gee, I'd have to have like 5 dogs!'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Being able to make the place your own is the best bit I reckon. You can start to have a sense of interior design, rather than your furniture just being whatever you and your housemates own chucked in together.

I live with 2 other guys. Whenever I get home & there's no cars in the driveway it's a treat. Both good guys, but I enjoy time alone.

However, I'm sure if I lived alone, after 3 days I'd be wishing there was someone at home to talk to. Grass is always greener.

When my new studio home is finished getting built in about 2 months, Il be on the living alone bandwagon. And I simply cannot wait. More space and freedom. No one hassling me to do stuff, and no one to make a bloody racquet when im trying to sleep during the day (I do night shift). And that goes the other way too...if I want to wake up at 1am and crank the tv, I can. No creeping around trying to avoid noise :thumbsu:.

Ive been doing the hard yards this year in terms of saving for luxury items for when I move in, so it should be a pretty decent pad. :)

Moving back to Aus pretty soon and want to live alone. I've always lived with either family or g/f's, so the idea of no one but myself and maybe a pet is delicious.

Living alone and there's nothing better. Can do what I want when I want.

Highly recommended.

How much did you end up paying per week for rent.

I'm going to be looking out towards the Western suburbs of Melb, or even further south towards Werribee.

Moving back to Aus pretty soon and want to live alone. I've always lived with either family or g/f's, so the idea of no one but myself and maybe a pet is delicious.

How much did you end up paying per week for rent.

I'm going to be looking out towards the Western suburbs of Melb, or even further south towards Werribee.

s**t didn't pan out with the American lass, Renegade?

Lived alone for about 5 years now. Bought my own place around 3 years ago. I would probably find it hard to live with someone now as Im so used to the freedom.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back