walhawk

Premiership Player
Apr 20, 2007
Box Hill
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill, Storm
More Freo members have applied for tickets than are available, so they will fill their quote of 15K or so tickets (there are around 3K more tickets available to club members compared to WCE GFs).
AD mentioned on TF that is was not possible to transport this many people from Perth to Melbourne for the match.
Just checked Flight Centre and the cheapest direct flights on Thurs/Fri/Sat are $1150. Stopover flights are $800+
Not many seats left either.
So, given that 1000s of fans could be allocated tickets, but not be able to get here, what are Freo people planning?
Airfare already booked?
Would you drive?
Bus/train?

how many west coast fans travelled from perth to melbourne in 2006? going from the OP it sounds like 12k, so surely an extra 3k shouldn't pose to many problems. i do think we have a lot more melbourne based members than freo so maybe that further reduces our numbers.

i noticed articles saying companies have jacked up the price of plane tickets. i would highly recommend researching into flying into adelaide and getting an overnight train to try and cut down on cost. i did the overnight train from 2006 uni games in adelaide to the grand final and was pretty cruisy really.

EDIT: if plane companies have that covered in terms of cost you couldn't rule out flying to sydney, and doing that train trip. sydney->melbourne train is a fair bit longer than adelaide->melbourne but still pretty easy. done that one about half a dozen times.

how many west coast fans travelled from perth to melbourne in 2006? going from the OP it sounds like 12k, so surely an extra 3k shouldn't pose to many problems. i do think we have a lot more melbourne based members than freo so maybe that further reduces our numbers.

i noticed articles saying companies have jacked up the price of plane tickets. i would highly recommend researching into flying into adelaide and getting an overnight train to try and cut down on cost. i did the overnight train from 2006 uni games in adelaide to the grand final and was pretty cruisy really.

EDIT: if plane companies have that covered in terms of cost you couldn't rule out flying to sydney, and doing that train trip. sydney->melbourne train is a fair bit longer than adelaide->melbourne but still pretty easy. done that one about half a dozen times.

Yeah in 06 we flew to Syd on the Wed, down to Melb on the Thurs. All up return filghts cost us about $800

Mrs is a Freo fan, checked this out two days ago, the cheapo flights are still available to do this.

The average domestic aircraft at a guess holds around 275 people. If we all want to fly that is 54 full aircraft. I thing the Nullabor is gonna cop a flogging.

Yeah in 06 we flew to Syd on the Wed, down to Melb on the Thurs. All up return filghts cost us about $800

yeah true, flying from sydney to melbourne or from adelaide to melbourne is an obvious option too. don't know why i didn't think of that above. just had the mind on trains i guess.

the one good thing about the trains though is the price doesn't change in accordance with what events are on so you know your budget in advance.

Sydney got 15k there last year so I don't see why they won't be able to do it again this year?

A few thousand of those would have been South Melbourne fans notwithstanding there are a hell of a lot Sydmey-Melbourne routes (its one of the busiest routes in the world)

Yeah I know, the South Melbourne fans are still going to go this year as well! Getting from Sydney to Melbourne and back is a breeze

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are the 15,000 going to do with these flights if god forbid they lose this week? Ill be more than happy to take return flights off their hands at a heavily discounted price ;)

I booked flexi fares after the QF win. If Freo don't make it we'll probably just use them next year for a footy pilgrimage to Melbourne one weekend, or maybe the F1, something like that.

How the **** would he know? He's a transport expert now too?

The fat bastard is probably just laying the groundwork for announcing he's halving Freo's allocation so he can sell them to corporates to recoup the money Port and Freo cost him during the finals.

Indian-trains-1.jpg

Have to admit, I have been concerned about how the AFL and the Australian economy might be able to ferry 15 thousand fremantle supporters to the MCG in late september.

Despite the worry I have managed to not care too much about the eventuality. Even to the point where I do not care even now if these people make it or not.

So how long did it take for Crawf to ride across?
We have fairly good Westerly winds blowing this week, wonder if they will continue next week.

Or maybe take a bus.
FNU_THU1209.gif

I booked tickets straight after the Geelong game, if we don't make it I will just head over for for a weekend next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back