Luke Beveridge - Our Mastermind

Remove this Banner Ad

Stats are great. I love stats.

Opinions are great. I love opinions.

BF is great. I love BF.

Bevo is a great coach as he took us to the pinnacle. Bevo is no longer a great coach as we've tanked in 2017, and almost tanked again this year after being 3 goals up in the third quarter of a second GF.

Ryan Gardner is an elite puncher, but also a spud, apparently.

Baz has a baz-illion social media followers, but butchers a lot of disposals as he is in a frantic rush.

Bont is an all-time club great, but due to injury or lack of leadership (allegedly) or both, the team is suffering on-field.

Bruce was in contention for the Coleman last year when his ACL failed to recognise the vibe at the time, and this year is both a workhorse opening up the play for JUH and Astro, and pinch-hitting in the ruck coming off the same ACL re-co, but also a spud as he has hardly any disposals and goals.

We have a fantastic list and should win more flags, but also an over-rated list peppered with holes, that has over-achieved. Or both.

BF is great. I love BF.

Western Bulldogs/Footscray FC is the greatest sporting club in the history of the world.

Go Dogs. :bulldogs::largeredcircle::mwcirlce::largebluecircle:

(Sorry, not in a clear frame of mind atm, not really sure why I posted what I did above tbh, seems a less than satisfactory exit. Due to a very recent diagnosis of serious health conditions for myself and less than exciting updates this week, plus ongoing ones for immediate and extended family, and the recent passing of a couple of people I hold dear, this will be my last post in a while, or maybe longer. Who knows? I certainly don't. So it's not adieu or farewell necessarily, but I can't guarantee when or if I'll post again. Best wishes to you all. Keep up the good fight.)

Go Dogs. Go BF Dogs. Cheerio.

BF is great. I love BF.

Bevo is a great coach as he took us to the pinnacle. Bevo is no longer a great coach as we've tanked in 2017, and almost tanked again this year after being 3 goals up in the third quarter of a second GF.

Baz has a baz-illion social media followers, but butchers a lot of disposals as he is in a frantic rush.

Bont is an all-time club great, but due to injury or lack of leadership (allegedly) or both, the team is suffering on-field.

Bruce was in contention for the Coleman last year when his ACL failed to recognise the vibe at the time, and this year is both a workhorse opening up the play for JUH and Astro, and pinch-hitting in the ruck coming off the same ACL re-co, but also a spud as he has hardly any disposals and goals.

We have a fantastic list and should win more flags, but also an over-rated list peppered with holes, that has over-achieved. Or both.

BF is great. I love BF.

Western Bulldogs/Footscray FC is the greatest sporting club in the history of the world.

(Sorry, not in a clear frame of mind atm, not really sure why I posted what I did above tbh, seems a less than satisfactory exit. Due to a very recent diagnosis of serious health conditions for myself and less than exciting updates this week, plus ongoing ones for immediate and extended family, and the recent passing of a couple of people I hold dear, this will be my last post in a while, or maybe longer. Who knows? I certainly don't. So it's not adieu or farewell necessarily, but I can't guarantee when or if I'll post again. Best wishes to you all. Keep up the good fight.)

Best of luck with everything footscray1973

BF is great. I love BF.

BF is great. I love BF.

I will really miss you on here f1973. Feeling for you and, as BrisDog said, all the very best for you and your family. Hope to see you return soon.

Would you consider Chris Scott one of the best coaches in the comp across recent years?

In the last 8 years (Bevo era), Chris Scott has coached the Cats to 16 finals compared to Bevo’s 11 at the dogs.

Bevo has 7 finals wins (65% win rate) compared to Scott’s 6 (36% win rate).

Bevo has 2 GF appearances compared to Scott’s 1.

Bevo has 1 Premiership to Scott’s zero.

In all honesty, which of these two coaches has had a more successful 8 year period? And does that give more weight when discussing how good a coach is, or is preference given to end of H&A ladder position?

hard to compare apples and oranges (different lists) But we beat cats only twice in that time out of 10 odd matches, so head to head, Scott runs rings around Bev.

hard to compare apples and oranges (different lists) But we beat cats only twice in that time out of 10 odd matches, so head to head, Scott runs rings around Bev.

Win/loss records isn’t a great way to determine one coaches ability against another.

Across Hawthorns 3peat years. Damian Hardwick’s Tigers went 3 wins 1 loss against Clarko’s Hawks.

Would you say Hardwick was a better coach than Clarko across 2013,14,15??

Last edited:
To much fence sitting here either Bevo is good to very good coach since 2015 or his not. I am strongly in his corner.
50% of our Premierships
50% of our GF appearances
33% of our finals wins
100% of our interstate finals wins
Second coach in our history to take us to 4 successive finals campaigns

His record makes him our greatest ever coach by a significant margin

50% of our Premierships
33% of our finals wins

By far and away our greatest coach.

People outside the four walls may not agree or understand with the methods or selections at times, but he has the courage of his convictions and he has the players back no matter what.

I reckon he’s a ripper

50% of our Premierships
33% of our finals wins

33% of our finals wins is outrageous. Shows how unsuccessful we are historically

BF is great. I love BF.

BF is great. I love BF.

All the best to you, Brother

BF is great. I love BF.

BF is great. I love BF.

Wishing you all the Best F73 🐶

BF is great. I love BF.

BF is great. I love BF.

All the best f1973. Hoping the dogs give you something to smile about in the coming weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BF is great. I love BF.

BF is great. I love BF.

Really sorry to hear this. I will certainly miss your posts mate. Best wishes to you and your family. You’ll be missed around here.

BF is great. I love BF.

BF is great. I love BF.

Best wishes for the times ahead.
Sing out if we can help in any way.

BF is great. I love BF.

BF is great. I love BF.

You'll get through it mate. Stay strong. Look forward to your return and dissecting the many flags to come.

33% of our finals wins is outrageous. Shows how unsuccessful we are historically
It shows how different the finals system is now, for example in 1954 we won 2 finals, the semi final & the grand final. We won 7 finals in two years under Bev, 0 in the other 6. Again it’s a bit of a disingenuous way to look at the stats - no one’s doubting that we’ve had two brilliant finals series & 2 good seasons under him, the rest have been underwhelming.

His history is irrelevant for mine, yes he’s our most successful coach and we’ll always cherish him for that - but is he the best man to take us forward? That’s the only question that matters, I think not at this stage but he has next year to show us that he is, anything under top 4 will be a fail.

It shows how different the finals system is now, for example in 1954 we won 2 finals, the semi final & the grand final. We won 7 finals in two years under Bev, 0 in the other 6. Again it’s a bit of a disingenuous way to look at the stats - no one’s doubting that we’ve had two brilliant finals series & 2 good seasons under him, the rest have been underwhelming.

His history is irrelevant for mine, yes he’s our most successful coach and we’ll always cherish him for that - but is he the best man to take us forward? That’s the only question that matters, I think not at this stage but he has next year to show us that he is, anything under top 4 will be a fail.

As of today he is a defending Grand Finalist coach what would you say if he repeats that or betters it this season.

Last edited:
Oh right you are talking about a mistake he made last week when he was their best player? Okay.....
backing up homer simpson GIF
Best player, lost the game, we are in, they are out. being the best and losing is not a good outcome. at least in my book, go dogs, or are you a closet carlton supporter pretending to be an elite bulldog supporter. only kidding, ok! you will always be my buddy because you are one of us

i disagree with the idea our recruiting has been off over last two years
as has been mentioned above by fellow posters
given our compromised draft hand
having finished top 8 3 years in a row so didn't have early first, second, and third rounders
and what we did have went into the marra-darcy picks
not to mention outgoing players went cheap
picking up quality was going to be tough
IMO but i am open to hearing what i might be overlooking

BF is great. I love BF.

BF is great. I love BF.

You take care and get yourself through this. I (and I bet you too) don’t miss our covid debates) but I will miss you footy and general life opinions and stories. We need you and your history and life experiences told here in your often humorous way. Cede Nullius.

50% of our Premierships
33% of our finals wins

In other words, Bevo in 7 years has pretty much equalled what all of our other coaches combined achieved in 90 years.

In other words, Bevo in 7 years has pretty much equalled what all of our other coaches combined achieved in 90 years.
He's a mad scientist, equal parts infuriating and genius.

I'll cop his head-scratchers simply because he has the runs on the board.

He's a mad scientist, equal parts infuriating and genius.

I'll cop his head-scratchers simply because he has the runs on the board.
That's the thing for every weird thing he's done that hasn't work he's justified it with one that has. Take Hannan down back for example has all the same tools that Bailey Dale had as a forward one worked and was AA and stiff not to be this year and the other just couldn't work it out, The idea of using both and the logic behind it is there it's just sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't thankfully he is getting better at realising what doesn't

Good questions.

Geelong is generally considered to have some unique H&A ficture advantages (not sure if this is true though) which means they get a charmed run into the eight most years. Then they crumble under the pressure of finals footy.

By contrast we are generally considered to butcher our H&A season with stupid tactics and selections (not sure if this is true though) yet make the most of it by being highly competitive in September.

How valid are those assessments? And how much is down to the coach? I'll try to answer your earlier question when I get a chance, and maybe address this aspect as well. (I need to give it some thought!)
I have a friend who is a little bit of math savant and border line autistic - who goes absolutely troppo at the fixture advantage Geelong has over every one else in the league.

As he puts it, they are the only Victorian club to effectively have genuine home games against both interstate and Melbourne rivals! His opinion is that - to make it relatively fair, only interstate clubs should be playing Geelong at Kardinia Park. By his calculation - this provides Geelong easy wins that over the course of a long season, not only assist their ladder position but due to the less intensive games they are fresher for the bigger games.

As he puts it, no other professional sport in the world would allow this fixturing advantage and that where it is Money that creates teams like Manchester City, and Real Madrid to dominate their respective leagues - it is our fixturing that has over the last 12-15 years helped elevate Geelong to a similar status.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back