Luke Beveridge - Our Mastermind

Remove this Banner Ad

Had a look, and only one side has made finals more often than we have during the Beveridge era, being Geelong.

West Coast, Sydney and Richmond have also made it 6 times.

It doesn’t tell the whole story, and obviously we’ve had a few unsatisfying elim finals losses, but it puts it in perspective. We have been consistently competitive under Bevo, and occasionally brilliant.
Yep it’s a bloody tough competition not that many notice

By most metrics he absolutely is.

Can understand some frustration regarding ruck, manning the mark etc at times but his record compared to most of his peers is good.

It’s absolutely feral in some circles on social media. Here is nothing.
What annoys me most is that the reality is it’s the results that count and by any measure he is miles ahead. All this hysteria about why player x vs player y ignores the fact we only know half of what goes on behind the scenes

I have a friend who is a little bit of math savant and border line autistic - who goes absolutely troppo at the fixture advantage Geelong has over every one else in the league.

As he puts it, they are the only Victorian club to effectively have genuine home games against both interstate and Melbourne rivals! His opinion is that - to make it relatively fair, only interstate clubs should be playing Geelong at Kardinia Park. By his calculation - this provides Geelong easy wins that over the course of a long season, not only assist their ladder position but due to the less intensive games they are fresher for the bigger games.

As he puts it, no other professional sport in the world would allow this fixturing advantage and that where it is Money that creates teams like Manchester City, and Real Madrid to dominate their respective leagues - it is our fixturing that has over the last 12-15 years helped elevate Geelong to a similar status.
Or else make them share the ground, as I believe we asked for ourselves not that long ago.

i disagree with the idea our recruiting has been off over last two years
as has been mentioned above by fellow posters
given our compromised draft hand
having finished top 8 3 years in a row so didn't have early first, second, and third rounders
and what we did have went into the marra-darcy picks
not to mention outgoing players went cheap
picking up quality was going to be tough
IMO but i am open to hearing what i might be overlooking
Picking up JUH & Darcy effectively cost us our draft hand for the past couple of years. Has also meant we haven't had any trade capital to do any substantial trades.
We would all have liked to pick up a ready to go KPD just not sure how it would of been achieved

Not that I watched many but against the tigers lynch made him look like a under 10s player
Not ideal if he was on him all day but he has been doing well generally

He also leads the league in 1%ers and 10th in intercept posessions
He may lead the one percenters, etc. However, when he had to stop or kill the ball with seconds left and he looked like bamby in front of headlights, that is the reason that all the one percenters don't mean anything. we have to recognise that had we beaten both carltank and adelaide we would have finished much higher. we won the games we needed to win to get to the 8, and carlton didn't. we are in the 8 and they are not. finally, we have a chance to go all the way, while carltank don't and that is so sweet. our group seems to do well when against the wall. let's hope we repeat 2016 so all the haters cgagf!!!

It's laughable that people refuse to acknowledge this.

Any Dogs fan in October 2014 would have sold their soul and then some if they were offered 5 finals campaigns with 2 GFs and a flag by the end of 2021.
Who is denying that he is our most successful coach? I haven't seen anyone on here ever claim he isn't.

You completely miss the point that Bevo is not perfect, nor infallible, and there are plenty of things relating to the list, team selection, game style and staff management to be concerned about, notwithstanding the success we've enjoyed.

Almost everyone on here wants Bevo to coach out his contract before the club decides what to do in the future.

the greatest bradbury in world sport just skated it's first lap.

we're on the tippity top of the mountain but we're only half way up.

How can we be on the top but also only half way up? This statement holds no scientific credibility.

frink.PNG

How can we be on the top but also only half way up? This statement holds no scientific credibility.

View attachment 1492508
Yes it is difficult for mere mortal footy fans to understand quantum football. Someone much smarter than you or me might...

Speaking of which, Bevo is publishing a book called Schrodinger's Dog in the off season. Check out your local bookstore for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just a reminder that a stale butter and cheese sandwich looks spectacular next to an array of shit sandwiches.

That Beveridge is the most successful coach in our history is not an argument in and of itself. Especially considering the relatively strong position the club has been compared to that of a Wheeler or Wallace or even an Eade.

It's laughable that people refuse to acknowledge this.

Any Dogs fan in October 2014 would have sold their soul and then some if they were offered 5 finals campaigns with 2 GFs and a flag by the end of 2021.

Hey Morris , a Major was my dads first brand new car !
Big upgrade on the the old Minor.
Cruising Nicholson street in this beast ,we felt like kings.

Who is denying that he is our most successful coach? I haven't seen anyone on here ever claim he isn't.

You completely miss the point that Bevo is not perfect, nor infallible, and there are plenty of things relating to the list, team selection, game style and staff management to be concerned about, notwithstanding the success we've enjoyed.

Almost everyone on here wants Bevo to coach out his contract before the club decides what to do in the future.

I agree with your first two points here, but appear to be in the minority on the last point. Obviously I'm a sporadic BF poster, but I strongly believe he should not see his contract out.

Our greatest coach ever, as per records, but he is not even close to getting the best out of this list on a consistent basis.

Right now we have a great midfield and the makings of a strong forward line, we can't afford to waste another 12 months bombing it long with our forward entries. Our defense isn't great, but so much of that starts further up the ground. We don't stop the ball coming in with ease. Bevo has known this is an issue and hasn't improved it all year.

Anyway I know I'm in the minority but I can happily acknowledge that he has been great for the club but we also need to part ways now. At the very very least he needs some much better assistant coaches, but would be a plan b in my opinion.

That's the thing for every weird thing he's done that hasn't work he's justified it with one that has. Take Hannan down back for example has all the same tools that Bailey Dale had as a forward one worked and was AA and stiff not to be this year and the other just couldn't work it out, The idea of using both and the logic behind it is there it's just sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't thankfully he is getting better at realising what doesn't
I think in this case that Bevo was just trying to squeeze Hannan into the side somehow. He does love Mitch.

Bailey Dale is a bit quicker than Hannan, a far better kick and is also a hell of a lot smarter. I get the failed forward part, but they’re very different players.

I agree with your first two points here, but appear to be in the minority on the last point. Obviously I'm a sporadic BF poster, but I strongly believe he should not see his contract out.

Our greatest coach ever, as per records, but he is not even close to getting the best out of this list on a consistent basis.

Right now we have a great midfield and the makings of a strong forward line, we can't afford to waste another 12 months bombing it long with our forward entries. Our defense isn't great, but so much of that starts further up the ground. We don't stop the ball coming in with ease. Bevo has known this is an issue and hasn't improved it all year.

Anyway I know I'm in the minority but I can happily acknowledge that he has been great for the club but we also need to part ways now. At the very very least he needs some much better assistant coaches, but would be a plan b in my opinion.
I’m with you, he’s been our best coach ever sure but I don’t believe he’s the right man to take us forward and that’s the only thing that matters from here, we’re not running a charity, ideally we move ASAP meaning this year but unfortunately I just don’t think it’s viable.

I think the club would have been completely blindsided by our performances this year so we wouldn’t have put any thought into options and would be late to the game again with a few options already off the table or at least very deep in discussion with the other clubs looking for coaches.

Plus we’d have to pay out his huge contract plus it would have to be a ‘sacking’ which isn’t really ideal publicity for the club and may cause rifts with players etc.

I think the gameplan from here should be a full football department review, every bloke from the barista to Bevo should have to clearly demonstrate what they have/haven’t achieved this year, and big changes need to be made in regards to our assistants. This year! This is a non-negotiable, we’ve had all year to seek out options and there’s no shortage of good coaches getting around without jobs right now.

Then we set our expectations for next year, top 4 is a non-negotiable, plus many many more expectations in the way we need to develop our gameplan and fix our weaknesses next year. Make this very clear to both the playing group & Bevo, if this is not achieved we will part ways amicably - no hurt feelings, no media shitshow, expectations were not met we’re both going in different directions at the end of the season. No players are blindsided or hurt by the treatment of the coach, a clean exit for all. If we turn things around well great no dramas.

At the same time we start sending out feelers to industry, make it very well known our top job may be opening up at the end of the season if certain expectations aren’t met. If you’re interested start preparing and putting in place your arrangements.

If our coaching spot was to open up next year it would be possibly the hottest coaching position in modern history, what club would you be able to walk in and take over a list of this quality Anywhere else? It just doesn’t happen. The best prospects in the comp would be falling over themselves to coach this list. So make it known early it’s a possibility and give the best the time to prepare properly.

Big calls need to be made, do we have the balls to do that and take this club forward? Unfortunately it’s more likely we finish 5th/6th next year with an easier draw, win a final or two, Bevo signs a multi year deal and we go on underpeforming for several years and waste the best opportunity the clubs ever had

I’m with you, he’s been our best coach ever sure but I don’t believe he’s the right man to take us forward and that’s the only thing that matters from here, we’re not running a charity, ideally we move ASAP meaning this year but unfortunately I just don’t think it’s viable.

I think the club would have been completely blindsided by our performances this year so we wouldn’t have put any thought into options and would be late to the game again with a few options already off the table or at least very deep in discussion with the other clubs looking for coaches.

Plus we’d have to pay out his huge contract plus it would have to be a ‘sacking’ which isn’t really ideal publicity for the club and may cause rifts with players etc.

I think the gameplan from here should be a full football department review, every bloke from the barista to Bevo should have to clearly demonstrate what they have/haven’t achieved this year, and big changes need to be made in regards to our assistants. This year! This is a non-negotiable, we’ve had all year to seek out options and there’s no shortage of good coaches getting around without jobs right now.

Then we set our expectations for next year, top 4 is a non-negotiable, plus many many more expectations in the way we need to develop our gameplan and fix our weaknesses next year. Make this very clear to both the playing group & Bevo, if this is not achieved we will part ways amicably - no hurt feelings, no media shitshow, expectations were not met we’re both going in different directions at the end of the season. No players are blindsided or hurt by the treatment of the coach, a clean exit for all. If we turn things around well great no dramas.

At the same time we start sending out feelers to industry, make it very well known our top job may be opening up at the end of the season if certain expectations aren’t met. If you’re interested start preparing and putting in place your arrangements.

If our coaching spot was to open up next year it would be possibly the hottest coaching position in modern history, what club would you be able to walk in and take over a list of this quality Anywhere else? It just doesn’t happen. The best prospects in the comp would be falling over themselves to coach this list. So make it known early it’s a possibility and give the best the time to prepare properly.

Big calls need to be made, do we have the balls to do that and take this club forward? Unfortunately it’s more likely we finish 5th/6th next year with an easier draw, win a final or two, Bevo signs a multi year deal and we go on underpeforming for several years and waste the best opportunity the clubs ever had
I agree with a lot of the criticism of Beveridge, however, take a very long look at the history of what usually happens to teams, who change coaches, whilst the team is still regularly a finals contender. From Norm Smith at Melbourne, Jewel at Richmond, Ratten at Carlton - It's a monumental disaster. At least half the supporters and half the players will be confused. Infighting and factions will inevitably form between those who believe he should have stayed and those who wanted him gone. Talk to supporters of Melbourne and Richmond - who followed were deep personal rifts and a revolving door of unsuccessful coaches and recriminations and decades of failure.

There are two exceptions - Bomber Thompson at Geelong but his own personal degeneration makes it very different to deny that Bomber himself just wanted to go - and therefore, there was no rift in the playing group, the admin or the supporters.

The other - the only real exception is David Parkin who was sacked after losing an elimination final in 1985 (after having led Carlton to 2 flags in 1981 and 82) Carlton replaced Parkin with Robert Walls. In 1986 they lost a GF and won the 1987 GF.

Based on this history - you want to be very very careful replacing a coach who is regularly leading you into finals.

I agree with a lot of the criticism of Beveridge, however, take a very long look at the history of what usually happens to teams, who change coaches, whilst the team is still regularly a finals contender. From Norm Smith at Melbourne, Jewel at Richmond, Ratten at Carlton - It's a monumental disaster. At least half the supporters and half the players will be confused. Infighting and factions will inevitably form between those who believe he should have stayed and those who wanted him gone. Talk to supporters of Melbourne and Richmond - who followed were deep personal rifts and a revolving door of unsuccessful coaches and recriminations and decades of failure.

There are two exceptions - Bomber Thompson at Geelong but his own personal degeneration makes it very different to deny that Bomber himself just wanted to go - and therefore, there was no rift in the playing group, the admin or the supporters.

The other - the only real exception is David Parkin who was sacked after losing an elimination final in 1985 (after having led Carlton to 2 flags in 1981 and 82) Carlton replaced Parkin with Robert Walls. In 1986 they lost a GF and won the 1987 GF.

Based on this history - you want to be very very careful replacing a coach who is regularly leading you into finals.
Then there was Eade ➡️ McCartney…..

This is a fair point, but I don't think it's so simple. Nothing ever is.

You can also pretty easily look to other sports as well to find examples that fit either argument. I feel like the 2014-15 Pittsburgh Penguins were in a very similar situation to the current Bulldogs. While sacking the coach didn't deliver success straight away, it didn't take long.

Maybe it says more about culture of the clubs, players and supporters. Which teams are satisfied with competing and making finals each year and which teams truly wants to win it all

I have a friend who is a little bit of math savant and border line autistic - who goes absolutely troppo at the fixture advantage Geelong has over every one else in the league.

As he puts it, they are the only Victorian club to effectively have genuine home games against both interstate and Melbourne rivals! His opinion is that - to make it relatively fair, only interstate clubs should be playing Geelong at Kardinia Park. By his calculation - this provides Geelong easy wins that over the course of a long season, not only assist their ladder position but due to the less intensive games they are fresher for the bigger games.

As he puts it, no other professional sport in the world would allow this fixturing advantage and that where it is Money that creates teams like Manchester City, and Real Madrid to dominate their respective leagues - it is our fixturing that has over the last 12-15 years helped elevate Geelong to a similar status.
Other professional sport's have an even fixture, play each other the same amount of times. Would be nice to see Geelong play 8 interstate matches. Or travel the same amount as the other non Melb teams.

Was expecting some sort of positive reaction after the GF debacle but instead not only have we not addressed longstanding issues- ruck, quality of inside 50 entries, converting opportunities into goals and centre work,- we've actually gone backwards.

If we hadn't made finals we might having a different discussion.

But making finals by the slimmest of margin is muddying judgments because in my head at least there is the "well you never know..." but it really shouldn't be a factor.

Beveridge and the assistants have not had a good season- first step is for them to accept that and then come up with something to address it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back