Mahela Jayawardene retires from Test cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a shame.

Possessed one of the most beautiful cover drives in the game and was an excellent leader. Was desperately hoping that his century in the World Cup final in 2011 would be enough to win it for the Lankan's, but it sadly wasn't to be. Hopefully Kumar has a few years left in him as the next generation of batsmen come through for them.

All class when he got going, cherubic face and easy nature belied a real competitor. A big loss for Sri Lankan cricket.

Great competitor and leader. Although he probably didn't do great away from home he didn't shy away and I respect him for fronting up when Sanga went down injured on their last test tour of Australia.

Terrific player. Classy batsmen. Massively underrated. Those numbers, over 11,000 runs at an average excess of 50, outstanding.

Will be remembered for being one half of that extraordinary partnership of 624 with Sangakkara in 2006. Not a bad team total, let alone a single partnership!!!
That was incredible, I still remember thinking he had 400 in the back that day.

Very good player.

One of my all time favourites. Loved it when he'd take some ridiculous catch and that cheeky grin would break out. The 2006 partnership was one for the ages, too. Bloody hell.

Disappointed he's gone, and with Sanga coming to the end too, I'm not too excited about watching Sri Lanka play Test cricket in the near future.

Absolutely incredible player. One of the greatest for Sri Lanka. Will be missed.

No doubting his quality as a test batsman. Personally, wasn't really a huge fan of his though. In recent years, refusing to walk after clear catches were taken and fielders give him 100% assurance, this after he has claimed borderline catches in the past. He's not the only one who has done it but, still, not really what you like to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back