One win from three Tests

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2005
AFL Club
Geelong
... is what it will take to win the Ashes on English soil.

They might appear down and out after going down 2-0 in the series, but England won't just lie down and give us the glory.

So my question is: how do we get the 20 wickets necessary to win one more Test in England in 2023?

Nathan Lyon's injury changes plenty. After 100 consecutive Tests he is literally the guy you take for granted. His form over the past 12 months has been exceptional.

And so: with his calf torn, do we assume Todd Murphy can play a role in English conditions? Even for that initial Test, where his surprise value could plausibly give him maximum impact?

Or is there scope to go the route that England took in this Test; an all-seam attack with support from part-time spinners?

I'm probably in the minority but I'd be content even with a drawn game 3 with the way we have played at times so far. As long as we retain the Ashes that's all that matters, think last time in England it was 2-2-1. Obviously a win would be ideal but keeping the Urn off them still feels like a win when in a drawn series. Cause we know they stand no chance down here. The pressure is all on England now

I'm probably in the minority but I'd be content even with a drawn game 3 with the way we have played at times so far. As long as we retain the Ashes that's all that matters, think last time it was 2-2-1. Obviously a win would be ideal but keeping the Urn off them still feels like a win ven in a drawn series. Cause we know they stand no chance down here. The pressure is all on England now

I think Cummins and co. will want to unequivocally take out this Ashe series on English soil as part of their Legacy - the WTC final was one leg of that, and this 2nd leg is going very well to date - but it's not delivered just yet.

The balance of the bowling attack in these next 3 Tests will go some way to securing us a 3rd Test win imo - I can't see the batting changing a lot between now and the end of the series, but there appears to be a couple of bowling combinations the selectors might consider in order to ensure that 1 further Win.

Win the coin toss and a fair distribution of weather conditions and I think we could give them a touch up in the 3rd test

Their pace attack just hasn't got the fire-power. Broad has been okay, Anderson looking his age finally, Stokes injured, no Archer, Robinson just steady. Tongue looked promising

It means they're stuffed. Flat wickets they can't get us out and we'll make heaps. Green tops and our quicks will be more of a handful than theirs.

Whether Woakes and Wood can come in and change things?

Win the coin toss and a fair distribution of weather conditions and I think we could give them a touch up in the 3rd test

Their pace attack just hasn't got the fire-power. Broad has been okay, Anderson looking his age finally, Stokes injured, no Archer, Robinson just steady. Tongue looked promising

It means they're stuffed. Flat wickets they can't get us out and we'll make heaps. Green tops and our quicks will be more of a handful than theirs.

I feel these dead wickets are robbing Anderson to pay Stokes.

Yeah, we’re not settling for a 2-2-1 series or similar. Would be mighty disappointing from here.

They obviously are likely to change things up (for the better) and we lose Lyon but still can’t “hope” for a technical retain of the Ashes here.

Once they went to the hours of shot stuff and men deep, they got cheap wickets. Its boring cricket with three on the hook and a short leg, but proved effective and gave England an outside chance when they may have otherwise been chasing closer top 450.

And they seemed to do it better than the faster Australian attack. Part of that was pace going out of the pitch meaning it was either ballooning up or struggling to get much above hip-height and the baseballer swing arc, but I think the Australians were mostly bowling seam-upright for the short stuff while England bowled cross-seam which helped vary the bounce - critical if the horizontal bat shots are being played.

Once they went to the hours of shot stuff and men deep, they got cheap wickets. Its boring cricket with three on the hook and a short leg, but proved effective and gave England an outside chance when they may have otherwise been chasing closer top 450.

And they seemed to do it better than the faster Australian attack. Part of that was pace going out of the pitch meaning it was either ballooning up or struggling to get much above hip-height and the baseballer swing arc, but I think the Australians were mostly bowling seam-upright for the short stuff while England bowled cross-seam which helped vary the bounce - critical if the horizontal bat shots are being played.

The umpires not pulling them up made that strategy vastly more viable.

They can't expect that to happen every match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

... is what it will take to win the Ashes on English soil.

They might appear down and out after going down 2-0 in the series, but England won't just lie down and give us the glory.

So my question is: how do we get the 20 wickets necessary to win one more Test in England in 2023?

Nathan Lyon's injury changes plenty. After 100 consecutive Tests he is literally the guy you take for granted. His form over the past 12 months has been exceptional.

And so: with his calf torn, do we assume Todd Murphy can play a role in English conditions? Even for that initial Test, where his surprise value could plausibly give him maximum impact?

Or is there scope to go the route that England took in this Test; an all-seam attack with support from part-time spinners?
I suspect England will continue to be busy "entertaining" instead of working on their defects like the number of extra they gave in both Tests so we can easily take 20 wickets despite not having Lyon.

The umpires not pulling them up made that strategy vastly more viable.

They can't expect that to happen every match.
The umpires are limited in what they can do though. If they don't think the ball is above the shoulder, they can't just start counting them because it makes play boring. Or call wides for above the head when not above the head.

Unless the match referee goes back and looks at days four and five, then decides a lot were being missed, and lets the umpires and teams know its going to be policed harder next game there is little umpires can (or should) do. And to so that mid-series would be a big step, not something (with my very limited knowledge) I can think of the like happening before. To judicially stymie a tactic without change to a Law or Playing Condition would be "courageous", in Sir Humphrey Appleby terms.

I'm probably in the minority but I'd be content even with a drawn game 3 with the way we have played at times so far. As long as we retain the Ashes that's all that matters, think last time in England it was 2-2-1. Obviously a win would be ideal but keeping the Urn off them still feels like a win when in a drawn series. Cause we know they stand no chance down here. The pressure is all on England now

Nope, we should of won the series in 2019, unfinished business this time.

Australia dont need to change anything .
Murphy will do well enough to hold an end and get a few wickets in place of Lyon.

Let England implode. They'll have the force the pace to win 3 from 3 .
One bad day and its series over from them

They may win 1 test but so will Australia in the last 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back