Masten Under the Microscope

Remove this Banner Ad

After seven years Masten is still to establish himself as the A grade mid we expected with his selection with pick 3 in the 2007 National Draft.

The AIS/AFL graduate and former Under 18's Captain was an accomplished player and elite runner who was expected to transition to AFL like a duck to water but injuries, consistency and problems with disposals marred his path to the top level.

His critics believed that he was soft and paid more attention to his sense of fashion and suggested that after seven seasons he had accumulated more tattoos than Brownlow Votes as well as arriving at an Adolph Hitler style mow and haircut.

Despite these negatives he finally found form in 2012 and had a breakout year in 2013 (mentored by Dean Kemp)with many predicting he would finish 2014 as our best midfielder. Me included.

This was not to be as either a change in game plan, his game day duties or a lack of desire saw his stocks plummet again and it wasn't till late in the season when he took over wing duties from the injured Rosa that we saw resurrection number two.

Like a number of players his finish to the season was superb and his disposal a delight to watch.

What are his weaknesses:
1. His 179cm, 78kg frame can get pushed aside easily.
2. He needs to tackle like he means it.
3. Seems to prefer an inside role these days.

While I believe he will never be the A grade mid we were all waiting for he can be a powerful weapon going forward played in the role he performed over the last 8 weeks, winning many possessions on the wing and deep in defence as well as some precise inside 50's

Footnote:
When coaches told him to mould himself on Dayne Swan I think he got the wrong message.

You're bang on the money.

He's just wrapped up his seventh season, and I think we've seen what he can offer.

The truth is, that isn't going to get us near the top four, and more importantly a flag.

He's got an engine yes, but doesn't remotely go near hurting sides with his average 25 touches.

It's one thing to get the pill, it's another to use it well.

And that's why we are where we are and have been for two seasons, because we midfielders good enough to lead us out of the 7-12th cluster where we're at.

Masten is much of what we got, and I think he's perfect trade bait.

We might not get another Yeo, but with another 1st rounder on-baller to join the developing category, the future looks much brighter than Chris Masten.

Alot of people are really fit mate !! He's only just started to sharpen up his kicks i50 the last 4 game's, Usaully player's who go top 3 have something that really stands out and this is what im getting at !!
Seriously, BS on the kicking. And I didn't say really fit, I said fittest. His kicking I50 is best or 2nd best on the list with Gaff and has been all season. He was a ball magnet as a junior, very good one touch handball and good awareness in congestion. So obviously Woosh played him primarily as a HFF when he was breaking into the side... that part of his game has gone by the way side and given he's unlikely to get the inside mid body, probably no point trying to get it back.

so speaking about all these players who we should have picked up in front of masten.

who would you take?

Priority1 Matthew Kreuzer Northern KnightsTAC CupCarlton
12Trent CotchinNorthern KnightsTAC CupRichmond
13Chris Masten East FremantleWAFLWest Coast
14Cale Morton ClaremontWAFLMelbourne
15Jarrad Grant Dandenong StingraysTAC CupWestern Bulldogs
16David Myers PerthWAFLEssendon
17Rhys Palmer East FremantleWAFLFremantle
18Lachlan Henderson Geelong FalconsTAC CupBrisbane Lions
19Ben McEvoy Murray BushrangersTAC CupSt Kilda
110Patrick Dangerfield Geelong FalconsTAC CupAdelaide
111Patrick Veszpremi Northern KnightsTAC CupSydney
112Cyril Rioli St Marys/Scotch CollegeNTFLHawthorn
113Brad Ebert Port Adelaide MagpiesSANFLWest Coast
114Jack Grimes Northern KnightsTAC CupMelbourne
115Robbie Tarrant Bendigo PioneersTAC CupKangaroos
116Matthew Lobbe Eastern RangesTAC CupPort Adelaide
117Harry Taylor East FremantleWAFLGeelong
Priority18Alex Rance Swan DistrictsWAFLRichmond
219Callan Ward Western JetsTAC CupWestern Bulldogs
220Tony Notte Swan DistrictsWAFLWest Coast
221Addam Maric Calder CannonsTAC CupMelbourne
222Scott Selwood Bendigo PioneersTAC CupWest Coast
223Tayte Pears East PerthWAFLEssendon
224Clayton Hinkley North Ballarat RebelsTAC CupFremantle
225Tom Collier Tassie MarinersTAC CupBrisbane Lions
226Brett Meredith Northern KnightsTAC CupSydney
227Andy Otten Oakleigh ChargersTAC CupAdelaide
228Marlon Motlop WanderersNTFLPort Adelaide
229Brendan Whitecross ZillmereQAFLHawthorn
230Jarrhan Jacky SubiacoWAFLAdelaide
231John McCarthy Dandenong StingraysTAC CupCollingwood
232Levi Greenwood Port Adelaide MagpiesSANFLKangaroos
233Matthew Westhoff Central DistrictSANFLPort Adelaide
234Dawson Simpson Murray BushrangersTAC CupGeelong
335Sam ReidZillmere QAFLWestern Bulldogs
336Steven Browne West PerthWAFLCarlton
337Scott Thompson GeelongVFLKangaroos
338Myke Cook Sandringham DragonsTAC CupAdelaide
3 F/S39Darcy Daniher Calder CannonsTAC CupEssendon
340Chris MaynePerth WAFLFremantle
341James Polkinghorne Calder CannonsTAC CupBrisbane Lions
342Jack StevenGeelong FalconsTAC CupSt Kilda
343Easton Wood Camperdown/Geelong Grammar SchoolHFNLWestern Bulldogs
344Scott Simpson Dandenong StingraysTAC CupGeelong
345Stuart Dew Port AdelaideAFLHawthorn
346Dennis Armfield Swan DistrictsWAFLCarlton
347Toby Thoolen Bendigo PioneersTAC CupCollingwood
348Jarrad Boumann Dandenong StingraysTAC CupWestern Bulldogs
349Mitchell Farmer Calder CannonsTAC CupPort Adelaide
350Dan McKenna Gippsland PowerTAC CupGeelong
451Dean Putt Calder CannonsTAC CupRichmond
452Bradd Dalziell East FremantleWAFLBrisbane Lions
453Kyle Cheney North Ballarat RebelsTAC CupMelbourne
454Cale Hooker East FremantleWAFLEssendon
455Mark Johnson EssendonAFLFremantle
456Matt Austin North Ballarat RebelsTAC CupBrisbane Lions
457Fraser Gehrig St Kilda(ret.)AFLSt Kilda
458Tony Armstrong NSW/ACT Rams/Calder CannonsTAC CupAdelaide
459Craig Bird NSW/ACT Rams/Nelson BayTAC CupSydney
4 F/S60Adam Donohue Geelong FalconsTAC CupGeelong
4 F/S61Jaxson Barham Geelong FalconsTAC CupCollingwood
462Josh Smith West PerthWAFLKangaroos
463Guy O'Keefe Geelong FalconsTAC CupWestern Bulldogs
564PassRichmond
565PassCarlton
566Tom McNamara South AdelaideSANFLMelbourne
567Pass Western Bulldogs
568Pass Essendon
569Kepler Bradley EssendonAFLFremantle
570Eljay Connors Bendigo PioneersTAC CupSt Kilda
571Aaron Kite Calder CannonsTAC CupAdelaide
572Blake Grima KangaroosAFLKangaroos
673Pass Melbourne
674Pass Fremantle
6 (NSW SP)75Taylor Walker NSW/ACT Rams/North Broken HillTAC CupAdelaide

Seriously, BS on the kicking. And I didn't say really fit, I said fittest. His kicking I50 is best or 2nd best on the list with Gaff and has been all season. He was a ball magnet as a junior, very good one touch handball and good awareness in congestion. So obviously Woosh played him primarily as a HFF when he was breaking into the side... that part of his game has gone by the way side and given he's unlikely to get the inside mid body, probably no point trying to get it back.

Is that you Masten ?

Trading him should be an option, because it is for any player. And if someone offers a good pick it should be considered.

Its funny though - late in the season when he was finally moved to a position he could win a large amount of the ball, we improved immeasurably as a team. Why was that? It was funny coming on to these boards and reading the mindless rubbish people try to pass off as knowledge. We were destroying teams like Melbourne on the outside but they beat us in the clearances and it was 'mastens fault' because he is a soft player hiding on the wing. He was performing his role to perfection.

Bottom line - I'm not sure Simpson knows what he has in Masten and because he isn't a big body I don't think he rates him. It took Tim Gepp of all people to employ some common sense in the coaching box. Much like Wellingham I get the sense the coach doesn't rate him but I think he's wrong about Masten. He is a chance to get traded, we'll see how it pans out.

Nah mate, but if you could put a bit of effort into your critiques instead of the lazy stuff you're laying up it'd easier, but given the lazy one liner i'm not gonna hold my breath. Maybe stick to the footy training eh?

I just don't know where you are getting fittest at the club is that from beep test 2kms time trials? and also 5th best kick in the team is that from disposal efficiency or just your thoughts, masten is a ok player but I just cant see why he was touted as a top 3 player he isn't great at any one thing that, off season for me buddy, time too rest the body !!

Not sure I'd take Mayne or Bird, and our KPD stocks (Glass, Hunter, Bones, Staker, EMac, Schofield, Spangher, Wilkes, Graham) were bursting so Rance and Taylor would have been big calls.

Seriously people, it's been 24 hours and only 3 pages. Lift your games. ;)

I just don't know where you are getting fittest at the club is that from beep test 2kms time trials? and also 5th best kick in the team is that from disposal efficiency or just your thoughts, masten is a ok player but I just cant see why he was touted as a top 3 player he isn't great at any one thing that, off season for me buddy, time too rest the body !!

On the kicking, it's from watching the games and seeing the quality of ball he provides to our forwards. Not a big fan of DE wen grading kicking skills. as for his draft status, he was the best of what we needed. We tried d@mn had to get at Cotchin, and Rioli was threatening not to sign for non-Melbourne clubs - even then he'll never be a mid... he's not a top 3 player, but for that draft he's pretty good. I'd rather have him than Kreuzer.

On the kicking, it's from watching the games and seeing the quality of ball he provides to our forwards. Not a big fan of DE wen grading kicking skills. as for his draft status, he was the best of what we needed. We tried d@mn had to get at Cotchin, and Rioli was threatening not to sign for non-Melbourne clubs - even then he'll never be a mid... he's not a top 3 player, but for that draft he's pretty good. I'd rather have him than Kreuzer.

His kicking has only really got better the second half of the year was average until then, Im pretty sure gaff has him in the fitness department too, the best thing about masten is his evasiveness can be his down fall too !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best entry kick in our team behind Shannon Hurn, hits up the I50s better than any of our mids. Clearly his best attribute in my opinion.

Agree, but he needs a few more strings to his bow then his I50 kicks.

Needs to at least get those hitout numbers up

Masto really needs to up his endurance even further to be more effective as he will never have the size to be an inside mid

Best entry kick in our team behind Shannon Hurn, hits up the I50s better than any of our mids. Clearly his best attribute in my opinion.

Well that's his role, Can thank Adam simpson for this, Not so long ago people were giving him s**t for his disposals, but it's a credit for simmo to find a role where he can have time and space to deliver the ball i50

These guys for starters:

Dangerfield
Rioli
Rance
Taylor
Ward
Steven
Mayne
Bird

Obviously not the best draft in history, but there's 8 players who I'd bet would've given us better careers.
Disagree on Mayne and Bird. Also, we'd just taken 3 KPD the year before so Rance and Taylor are a bit moot

Seriously people, it's been 24 hours and only 3 pages. Lift your games. ;)

Priddis, I mean Masten is rubbish, innit?

I think this thread will gain traction when we get the inevitable "Masten is training down the house' articles from the club when the preseason rolls around

Exactly, the only one we missed out on was Dangerfield. Rioli was desperate to go to Melbourne.

Even Cotchin is hardly setting the world on fire. Just a crap draft.
Certainly there are a few around the mark or even a bit better than Masto, and 3 or 4 that are much better, but it's not like we took Xavier Clarke at #3 in the 2001 superdraft...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back