Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
2008_BateM_Profile_med.jpg

• Number: 6
  • Height: 192
  • Weight: 90
  • DOB: 24-05-1987
  • Debut: Rd 5 - 2006

Has incredible endurance but too often gets caught and plays like he has blinkers on. Would be willing to offer up for trade for a speedy mid-fielder or 2nd rounder.

Our ranga quota will then be filled by Kyle 'Dick' Cheney.

Just didn't seem 100% this year for some reason. Would be a player that would benifet from having a big, tall forward alongside him.

he's a big kid and needs to use his size to advantage more in games, i remember against brisbane where he ran with the flight of the ball into the path of J Brown - Bate needs to do this more often

His season was hampered by a bad hamm injury during the practice mathces he missed around 7-8 weeks. IMO spent the rest of season trying to catch up, played some good games and some bad he just needs to close the gap between the two. He was a dissapointment this year as iw ould of liked him to keep improving from last year.

It is just me or has he seemed to really fill out this year? Especially the last few weeks I've noticed he looks like he's not far off looking as big as Miller.

I've always been a bit disappointed that we drafted 3 forwards over 190cm in 2005 and none of them have turned into a genuine KP forwards for us. We got a spud FF, a flanker and the tallest tagger in the league who are all 192cm.

I know Bate didn't have a great year, but he showed glimpses of what he can do. I know it's not much and he's been around long enough that he should've done more, but no one was great this year. Hopefully with another pre-season and a bit more size about him he could maybe try to hold down CHF and we can put Miller at FF while Watts is in the gym.

15 matches
13.11 goals
17.3 disposals per game
6.1 marks per game

Not as good as 2007, when he was top three in the B&F, but still a good player. Needs a bit more support up forward, because he isn't big enough yet to play as our first or second tall. A great third tall he can be, particularly off the hard forward flank. We all know his qualities; strong hands, nice kick, good endurance. Hopefully it won't be long before he can really burst on to the scene and produce a big season (ie. +30 goals, +130 marks).

Thanks to cannons:

Matthew Bate

Current Ability: B-
He missed the first 6 rounds with a hamstring injury. After his return in round 7, he played every game until round 21, missing the last match through omission. He averaged 17 disposals a game, which was a reasonable return.

Strengths:
- Kicking
- Marking
- Running Ability
- Good size
- Versatility

Weaknesses:
- Consistency

Potential Ability: A-
Bate presents with a lot of talent; he just needs to channel it more effectively. Given his interrupted preseason, he started behind the rest of the competition and had to battle through the season.

With further development, he could be one of our better players. He doesn't have any real areas of true deficiency; however one issue for Bate is consistency, as he fades in and out of games, and his form differs from week to week. This was exemplified by his strong performance against Essendon being followed up by an ineffectual effort against Geelong. He needs to attend to this area more than any other, and a full preseason will help him do this.

I also foresee a positional issue for him. Whilst he is versatile, it may be beneficial for him if he was stationed largely at one position on the ground, rather than rotating through the midfield and forward line. I think he’s an ideal HFF.

Trade Value: Early 2nd round, but Melbourne wouldn’t consider trading him at this point.

Overall, he has plenty of ability but lacks consistency at the moment. If he can transform from an enigmatic player into a consistent performer, he has every chance of becoming a top-tier player.

Round 5 2009 vs Adelaide

stats - 4k 7h/b 4 marks 1 tackle

the less said the better. the conditions, our delivery and the crows defence destroyed our forward line this week.
barely touched the ball but looked decent when he had it. 2 inside 50's and a goal assist in a low scoring game. his miss from 30 out straight in front killed us

3/10

will probably keep his spot unless Jurrah and Watts are brought in

round 6 vs Geelong
14 possessions - 6 kicks 8 handballs, 1 mark, 3 inside 50's and 1 goal assist

another match Matthew wont want to remember in a hurry. he the delivery to him was poor and he received close attention from the Geelong defence (Milburn in particular iirc). really had to work hard to get the ball, half his possessions were contested and as a result his effectiveness suffered. missed an opportunity to goal early in the game which would have done his confidence a world of good

rating 5/10

should keep his place in he team for next week unless Bailey wants to bring juice in

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not doing stats today because i can't be stuffed at the moment... maybe i'll get round to it tomorrow

Bate, better than his last two weeks. unfortunately started slow and the bounce of the ball was against him early on. kicked 1 goal, didn't look brilliant when the ball went to ground but didn't look horrible either. took some marks

rating - 6.5 / 10

does he keep his spot?
yes

Round 8 vs Western Bulldogs

Stats: 7 kicks 9 handballs (16 possessions total 7 contested) 8 marks. 4 goals 5 inside 50's

very good game for Bate (finally), doing what we need him to do, that being take marks and kick goals. there really isn't much more to say. he worked hard, made the most of his opportunities and beat his opponent

Rating: 8.5/10

Does he keep his spot?
Damn straight he does

Much better, beating Harris on the lead was encouraging. The kid can play, just needs to serve it up each week.

Should have a big game this weekend, Hawthorn's backline is their weakness with Gilham and Croad both sitting games out. Whoever gets Campbell needs to expose him.

so i forgot to do this for the hawks match. for those wondering, he played well (7.5/10) and he kept his spot in the team

now on to round 10 vs St Kilda

10 kicks 7 hanballs 7 marks 1 goal 2 behinds 6 inside 50's

another good game from Bate, he started very well beating the much improved Zac Dawson. unfortunately it wasn't a great day in front of the goals for him (or any of our forwards)

7.5/10

and yes he's in next week

round 11 vs. Collingwood

9 kicks, 8 handballs, 5 marks, 2 goals, 5 inside 50's, 3 1%ers

Bate was beaten early by O'brien but was able to find the ball later on in the game (pity it was all over then). a horrible day for lead up forwards in general with the rain and wind. he was crucified by the umpires which was a shame. this was his worst game over the last month as he wasn't able to find much space and really looked slow in the wet conditions

6.5/10

stays in the team

round 12 vs. Essendon

7 kicks, 6 handballs, 5 marks, 2 goals, 3 inside 50's, 1 goal assist

...i don't know what to say about this game, Bate was and tried to get into the game but the delivery was pretty damn horrible.

6.5/10

keeps his spot

Round 13 vs Brisbane

Bate was a late omission - Illness - replaced by Jones (odd i know)

no rating but Jones got a 6/10 from me

Named in Saturdays team agains the Weagles

Round 14 vs WCE

ok so this is the 3rd time i've tried to write this, for some reason this site always decides the server is to busy for me to post. this is my last attempt at this as i am getting rather frustrated

Stats: 14 disposals (86% effective) 5 marks 7 tackles 2 goals 1 behind 5 1%ers 3 inside 50's 2 score assists

Bate had a very good game despite not having the footy much. his efforts around the ground were incredible as shown by his 7 tackles and 5 1%ers.
his first kick was a brilliant shank to set up Jurrahcane for a mark and goal.

interesting fact. Bate was involved in 7 scoring plays today. that's half of his disposals resulting in melbourne getting a score
=D

8.75/10 being harsh but for some reason i don't think he deserved a 9

yes he keeps his spot

been following this guy a bit since he was drafted, how do melbourne fans see his progress?? where is he at now, where do you see him going? etc etc

Really rate him. Hard working, great hands, effective (albeit ugly) disposal and gives 100%.

Will be so much better when he's not our go-to man so much. If Watts holds down CHF, Bate will be a really dangerous second option at HF.

A major part of our future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back