Player Watch Matthew Goodyear (Delisted 2016)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's good to have you on board Goody, oh I mean pieanitis :p

On numbers De Goey is the most impressive of the guys we brought in so I wouldn't mind putting that to bed. De Goey is a kicker (66-33 kick-handball ratio) and spent nowhere near the time through the middle as Goodyear. Being a centre forward player, a kicker, a contested ball winner (he goes at 50-50) and at 70% is big time. Goodyear on the other hand is a handballer (53-47 kick-handball ratio) and was along with Miller the go to man through the middle for Calder. His hand balling is elite (80% across 2014) which brings his disposal efficiency to a respectable 61%.

That being said though Goodyear has 3 bankable AFL traits (IMO) and when you're selected at 48 that certainly helps. I'll have to look back over the footage I still have and see what I missed with Goodyear because despite seeing a bit of Calder I had others ahead. It certainly looks like one I got wrong.

On numbers De Goey is the most impressive of the guys we brought in so I wouldn't mind putting that to bed. De Goey is a kicker (66-33 kick-handball ratio) and spent nowhere near the time through the middle as Goodyear. Being a centre forward player, a kicker, a contested ball winner (he goes at 50-50) and at 70% is big time. Goodyear on the other hand is a handballer (53-47 kick-handball ratio) and was along with Miller the go to man through the middle for Calder. His hand balling is elite (80% across 2014) which brings his disposal efficiency to a respectable 61%.

That being said though Goodyear has 3 bankable AFL traits (IMO) and when you're selected at 48 that certainly helps. I'll have to look back over the footage I still have and see what I missed with Goodyear because despite seeing a bit of Calder I had others ahead. It certainly looks like one I got wrong.

can we put these figures in their contracts? I would mind getting something down in writing to make sure that these guys stick to form from junior footy...

Thanks Scodog 10 its great to be part of this great club.....I mean im sure Goodyear is rapt to be part of this great club.
Once again im not trying to place De Goey against Goodyear because with a 43 pick difference I would hope he's a better prospect. My position is and will continue to be until im proven otherwise that we've got a bargain.
At the end of the day I hope all 4 draftees reach there potential and a little more, as that means we're heading to where we always belong- in premiership contention.

can we put these figures in their contracts? I would mind getting something down in writing to make sure that these guys stick to form from junior footy...

It's an interesting discussion that one.

How many current day AFL players would you say shift their game from one level to the next? I'll be honest I can't think of too many that go from being one type or doing one thing at one level and then when they get to the next they become a different type or go on to do different things. I'd been keen to hear of some guys that have come through the system going at sub 50% by foot and then go on to become good ball users when the next step is a lot tougher.

Conversely I can't name too many guys that win the ball on the inside at underage level, but then add outside elements to their game as they step up. Take Ben Kennedy as an example he was largely an inside ball winner coming through the ranks and despite what some may consider good enough traits to find ball on the spread he is yet to become a contributor on the outside.

I'd imagine 10 year deals based on the numbers from their juniors is what we're talking here with all 3 very much solid contributors at the underage levels...

It's an interesting discussion that one.

How many current day AFL players would you say shift their game from one level to the next? I'll be honest I can't think of too many that go from being one type or doing one thing at one level and then when they get to the next they become a different type or go on to do different things. I'd been keen to hear of some guys that have come through the system going at sub 50% by foot and then go on to become good ball users when the next step is a lot tougher.

Conversely I can't name too many guys that win the ball on the inside at underage level, but then add outside elements to their game as they step up. Take Ben Kennedy as an example he was largely an inside ball winner coming through the ranks and despite what some may consider good enough traits to find ball on the spread he is yet to become a contributor on the outside.

I'd imagine 10 year deals based on the numbers from their juniors is what we're talking here with all 3 very much solid contributors at the underage levels...

well we are talking about two things here....

1. percentage use of ball by hand or foot
2. getting ball oneself or getting the ball handed to self...

we would need iron-clad contracts

Matthew Goodyear –Matt was a late bloomer this season and although good
during this year he played his best football late in the season and really came
into his own. Watching him play the Preliminary Final against Dandenong really
elevated him up the order in my books. He needs to work on his consistency but
the way that he can play both inside and outside and move out of traffic is very
impressive. I’m very bullish about Matt’s football ability and if he can continue
to improve then whichever club snaps him up will have a serious player on their
hands.
Draft Range: 35-50

Sounds like he had a ridiculous final series since he had an even better Grand Final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are you talking about? Freeman is 183cm 88kg with absolutely elite speed and endurance. Height doesn't mean s**t in Freeman's case.

Try telling that to Thatsgold.

Hey guys, hope you don't mind the intrusion but you've picked up a great one here.

Honestly, I've never seen the bloke play but I've met him multiple times and he's one of the most down-to-heart, professional and genuinely kind-hearted kids.

I truly hope he succeeds, albeit not against us ;)

Looks as good if not better than our previous two picks...sigh.
Chin up Beast. Hard to judge these kids before they've had a chance to play in black and white. All 3 might turn out to be absolute guns.

I wasn't very excited at the prospect of picking up DeGoey at 5, but I'll trust Hine's judgement. After all, the last time he reached for a player at 5 we got Pendles :)

It's worth noting across the finals series, De Goey, Maynard and Goodyear were all incredibly impressive for their respective sides, won at least one BOG in the finals each. I do get the sense we love our big game players.

Despite the fact I think all three are classed as midfielders, all three are different - Goodyear plays through the guts, Maynard plays across half back and DeGoey plays all over the field. Next year all three could play a lot of senior footy - Goodyear as a midfield rotation, Maynard replacing Lumumber on the half back line with Langdon on the other flank and DeGoey starting half forward with Elliot on the other side of him.

Hey guys, hope you don't mind the intrusion but you've picked up a great one here.

Honestly, I've never seen the bloke play but I've met him multiple times and he's one of the most down-to-heart, professional and genuinely kind-hearted kids.

I truly hope he succeeds, albeit not against us ;)
Not that it matters to me but why did you pick up Boekhorst at pick 19 when you could have had him at pick 28 and then you could have used pick 19 on Laverde to usurp Essendon's pick 20?

Not that it matters to me but why did you pick up Boekhorst at pick 19 when you could have had him at pick 28 and then you could have used pick 19 on Laverde to usurp Essendon's pick 20?

It's hard to gauge what recruiters are thinking a lot of the time but I'm happy to back them in on this one.

From what I understand they were worried Boekhorst wouldn't last to our next pick (there were rumours Essendon and a few others were interested) and we were pretty confident DVR would last until our next pick. We went into the draft with a real focus on drafting outside mids with a bit of class and legspeed and Boekhorst fits that mould. Plus he's had a few years in the WAFL system playing against the bigger bodies and should be ready to go sooner rather than later.

We'll find out in the coming years if this was the best course of action.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back