Toast Matty Taberner

Remove this Banner Ad

Really impressed, faded out of course in this game, like a good few others, but gees when it was he was on. Quick by hand and moves nicely over the ground for a guy his size and we all know he runs hard all day. Tackles fiercely. Good vision and decisive in his play. Showing some nice signs.

The only down side I can see right now is that he's not a high leaping contested mark, but he contests and contests hard and that's all you need when you're doing all those other things.

Let's be honest. We all had doubts about Tabs. The number of KPFs who don't make it is astoundingly high. And we have had plenty over the years. But Tabs has shown massive growth this year and particularly in the last few weeks. Got 110 dream team points today - not bad for a guy playing full forward!!!!

Question - do we need to buy a Cloke or Riewoldt and waste all of our spare salary cap?
Answer - no, not if Tabs, Apeness and A Pearce keep taking big steps forward.
Yeah I love this line of thinking. Plus we clearly demand a higher defensive game from our fwds which is big ask for imported players to adjust to. I know he's been forgotten a little but I can see Hannath making a similar jump in form down the track. It's all just a little exciting really

He showed a bit of Nick Riewoldt today. He will be even better when he is a bit older and pushing 100kg's.

Yeah I love this line of thinking. Plus we clearly demand a higher defensive game from our fwds which is big ask for imported players to adjust to. I know he's been forgotten a little but I can see Hannath making a similar jump in form down the track. It's all just a little exciting really

If he does, and we get continual growth from Tabs, Apeness and A Pearce we will be set for the next 5+ years.

Really impressed, faded out of course in this game, like a good few others, but gees when it was he was on.
He has a tendency to fade out late in that games, but that's mostly due to the sheer volume of running he does throughout a game, it might be an idea to sub him out at 3 qtr time and bring on the fresh player for him.

Silent Alarm

Curiously absent this week and last, has written huge vitriol rants on how s**t he is so I'm expecting him to man up one of these days.
G'day,

Taberner has surprised me. He came out of nowhere. I maintain he was terrible, lackadaisical, mumbly, stunted, and not presenting anywhere near hard enough. He didn't seem he cared to impose and didn't seem to want to be a big time player. I thought he was pretty useless in the first half against the Hawks too – gave off some dumb handballs.

I don't know if it was Ross threatening him with the sub vest but he came on entirely, like a new man. He's been showing confidence in himself and actually getting in the middle of packs and trying to win the footy. His leading was always written about and he's doing that, but what I always thought he lacked and is now ticking off is his intensity and guts – he's wanting to get in and under. He's winning the footy and finding kicks, he's knowing you have to run hard to get the fruits (as his Joe the Goose receive showed today).

That little play today, where he drew the contest and had the confidence to beat his man, then being smart enough to know he couldn't hold onto the footy himself so he tapped to Pearce was huge. It showed his smarts and that little click – "I'm on a list because I can be a good player." He's becoming that.

He carried that into this week and improved again. That's all you can ask from a player. The effort is what you want and he's starting to get a few kicks and impact the game. All at the right time too.

"Vitriol rants" (perhaps "rants of vitriol" or "vitriolic rants"?) is a bit OTT though. I did "man up" with Crozier and I'm doing it now. I don't really care. Unlike a few of the crew here, Bigfooty is not my life and my egos dented and made in other avenues of life. Happy to be proven wrong, happy to admit I read it wrong, I maintain he was a passenger for his first 10 games and I admit he's finally clicking in and doing well. I'm wrong. That's honest.

G'day,

Taberner has surprised me. He came out of nowhere. I maintain he was terrible, lackadaisical, mumbly, stunted, and not presenting anywhere near hard enough. He didn't seem he cared to impose and didn't seem to want to be a big time player. I thought he was pretty useless in the first half against the Hawks too – gave off some dumb handballs.

I don't know if it was Ross threatening him with the sub vest but he came on entirely, like a new man. He's been showing confidence in himself and actually getting in the middle of packs and trying to win the footy. His leading was always written about and he's doing that, but what I always thought he lacked and is now ticking off is his intensity and guts – he's wanting to get in and under. He's winning the footy and finding kicks, he's knowing you have to run hard to get the fruits (as his Joe the Goose receive showed today).

That little play today, where he drew the contest and had the confidence to beat his man, then being smart enough to know he couldn't hold onto the footy himself so he tapped to Pearce was huge. It showed his smarts and that little click – "I'm on a list because I can be a good player." He's becoming that.

He carried that into this week and improved again. That's all you can ask from a player. The effort is what you want and he's starting to get a few kicks and impact the game. All at the right time too.

"Vitriol rants" (perhaps "rants of vitriol" or "vitriolic rants"?) is a bit OTT though. I did "man up" with Crozier and I'm doing it now. I don't really care. Unlike a few of the crew here, Bigfooty is not my life and my egos dented and made in other avenues of life. Happy to be proven wrong, happy to admit I read it wrong, I maintain he was a passenger for his first 10 games and I admit he's finally clicking in and doing well. I'm wrong. That's honest.

That's scary honest for BigFooty.

great game by tabs, played to his strengths and IMO the reason he stood out today was that Brissie allowed him to play to them also.
Im not denying tabs efforts one bit, but I think it was highlighted by brissies ineffectual manning up of him - he just kept pushing and leading past 1 or 2 guys zoning off and found himself in a bit of space at times. That takes solid gut running so bravo to him and great to see him get 'stuck into it' as SA mentioned - a trait he hasn't shown much of to date.
THe other to keep in mind is we actually looked to play through tabs today, he wasn't just pavs foil, he was our main man up front .
Great numbers and went about it well too, this game will do wonders for his confidence and the rest of the team in using him once pav is back

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were pretty vitriolic SA.

Taberner – this guy is seriously so s**t I have no idea why he isn't decried around here and how he's patronised games. Just useless. He's played, what, 15 games and barely seems to improve. He's still lumbering, lazy, with no pressure or desire to win the ball – something Ballas and Mayney did non-stop as forwards. He doesn't attack the ball. He can't crash packs. He's apparently some awesome leader, who some on here reckon is akin to Nick Riewoldt (this is so dumb and always was going to be I just... what even), but he doesn't even present.

He has no desire. He seems happy to play AFL, but he doesn't want to excel at AFL. He's gutless, he's useless, he's soft, and he's s**t – and he's never gonna get any better. Apeness is bigger, sure, but he came into the team and as underprepared and unfit as he is, still had the backing and confidence to get involved. That's what you want in a debutant: someone who isn't scared, someone who channels their excitement with trying his best to be his best, not someone who just gets s**t scared.

Taberner should be delisted though. Spud.

numbnuts Taberner.

Taberner is so s**t. It infuriates me how ******* terrible he is

And get Taberner off for Duffy, Tabs is s**t and even when he gets a rare touch he butchers it. I have not seen a worse player for Fremantle in years.

You've gotta be joking. Very good?! What?! He has done nothing and when he gets the ball he does nothing.

A lesson in patience, is Taberner.

You can't get much more vitriolic, really.
Do you remember Clayton ******* Hinkley? My thoughts on him are as heinous as the White Australia Policy

That's scary honest for BigFooty.
I said Crozier was seriously under-performing and not worth the hype either; the game in Geelong, in person, made me change that thought pretty quickly too. Not a unique position however, as is the same for Tabs, I'm just pretty... bold in my statements...

Do you remember Clayton ******* Hinkley? My thoughts on him are as heinous as the White Australia Policy.
I'm not disputing that you were being vitriolic; I'm agreeing with it. Anyway, good thing Tabs is turning out to be pretty handy. All we need is for the penny to drop for Sylvia but I get the feeling he'd be in a nursing home when that happens.

Taberner has now had as many 20+ possession games as Nick Suban this year, despite Suban playing 18 games in the midfield. That's sad.

Hmmm on Suban you would think we need him next week but he really needs to stand up (which he has done before) or he will miss a place in the finals after playing nearly every game. Exciting that Crozier, Morabito and co are putting on that pressure.

Really impressed, faded out of course in this game, like a good few others, but gees when it was he was on. Quick by hand and moves nicely over the ground for a guy his size and we all know he runs hard all day. Tackles fiercely. Good vision and decisive in his play. Showing some nice signs.

The only down side I can see right now is that he's not a high leaping contested mark, but he contests and contests hard and that's all you need when you're doing all those other things.

agree but he can play at CHF and be linking midfielder - he has excellent tank and vision to move the ball quickly. If you give him room he will kill you with his pace.

He is not yet suited at FF as he gets bodied out thus at CHF/Midfield. Just needs 2-3 pre-seasons to muscle up.

agree but he can play at CHF and be linking midfielder - he has excellent tank and vision to move the ball quickly. If you give him room he will kill you with his pace.

He is not yet suited at FF as he gets bodied out thus at CHF/Midfield. Just needs 2-3 pre-seasons to muscle up.

Took Pav many years to be ready for FF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back