Multiplat Max Payne 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Finished it up just then. Last chapter was fairly annoying as there were just a shitload of enemies to clean up, at least in the latter half (the first half of the chapter was really enjoyable leading up to the finale).

Very enjoyable game. Not as good as Max Payne 1 & 2, but definitely a worthy sequel. Hopefully they keep doing more with Max as, as a character he is undoubtedly one of the best.

GG you wanted to know a body count? My kill count for the game was 2183 kills. But I think that might include restarts from checkpoints, which being hard I had to do several times. So it may be inflated by a couple of hundred kills.

EDIT: DON'T BOTHER WATCHING THE CREDITS! WASTE OF 15 MINUTES! (I always like to watch in case there's something post-credits, but nothing here, so you're all good)

Will move onto Multiplayer now.:thumbsu:

Only 2183? It already seems like I've killed 20,000 by chapter 8.

Thanks for the forewarning on the last chapter.....not happy about that. I still maintain this game erred in going too much down the running around and shooting billions of bullets path as a 'game' and not enough down the path of puzzles or dreamscape adventures or things to collect that reveal another back-story, or something strategic or whatever. Should've been a balance. After just 8 chapters i feel so worn out already. Jarred, headachey.

Btw, congratulations!

Finished it tonight too, probably around the same time as hbk judging by his post time :thumbsu:

Agree about the final chapter, but heaps of enemies did make sense considering where he was and the story. Still GOTY so far for me, enjoyed every minute, even the parts where I'd die multiple times :D Another quality Rockstar title, they're making a habit of that.

Not sold on MP yet, not many people play it (less than 500 across the modes available to me tonight) and when you finally find a game, it's always foreign. Hoping more people get into MP coz from what I've played, it has potential, especially gang wars mode.

Time to replay chapters for trophies missed

Only 2183? It already seems like I've killed 20,000 by chapter 8.

Thanks for the forewarning on the last chapter.....not happy about that. I still maintain this game erred in going too much down the running around and shooting billions of bullets path as a 'game' and not enough down the path of puzzles or dreamscape adventures or things to collect that reveal another back-story, or something strategic or whatever. Should've been a balance. After just 8 chapters i feel so worn out already. Jarred, headachey.

Btw, congratulations!
Yeah, I agree with the pacing. I think it could've been a bit more 'Uncharted-y' on that front. Just have some more downtime moments. If there's one thing Naughty Dog always got right with Uncharted, it was the pacing.

I think it was mentioned in the IGN Review, how they flirt with certain aspects like stealth, clues, 'tourist locations' and general slower moments but it's undercut really quickly by all out action again pretty fast.

Maybe the cutscenes were seen as the slower moments, as there is definitely a lot of cutscenes going on. But there is definitely a heavy focus on action that can sort of grind a little bit if you want to play in large chunks.

When I play MP3 i just try to get thru the killing/action as quickly as possible just so I can sit there and watch the cut-scenes, the cinema of it, the story, dialogue. Where the actual 'playing' of 'the game' is not enjoyable. That to me highlights how disappointing this release is (so far after 9 chapters). But I don't intend for my pov to dampen the game for others.

Finished off part 2. Now on to the finalè. (part 2 of 3)
Strip clubs have come a long way since the likes of Vice City. Some of the stuff in the background... :)
I'm missing so many clues, they just don't seem all that important and really, Max Payne isn't the sort of bloke to get every clue before shooting the place up, so I just keep on moving, keep on shooting.

I have managed to piece together half a dozen golden guns.

Just had a go of the Multiplayer then.

It's SUPER fun. Really fast paced, small tight maps, so you're always in the action. Plus the shootdodging/bullet time stuff carries over perfectly and adds so much to the action.

The only disappointing thing is that soft lock aiming is where all the people are playing the game. It just shouldn't be there, leave it up to actual skill, the aiming isn't THAT hard.

The melee is a little overpowered too.

But other than that, it's super fun. Could see myself playing it for a while.

Just wish the other modes and maps? (are there really only 3 maps in TDM?) unlocked quicker as I hear that the expanded modes are where it's at.

I mainly got into US lobbies, but there wasn't really any discernible lag, at least nothing that felt bullshit.

yep, superb gaming weather.

I bought this this week and have had a fair crack. I think I'm up to chapter 4? Playing it on Hard, with Free Aim. And yes, it's pretty hard.
That bit in the sports stadium where he goes in and says "looks like a VIP area, better take a look" took me about 30 attempts!
:eek:

It is very run-n-gun, but it's still really cool. Great graphics, great game-play, and Max is a ****ing legend.

All in all I'm really enjoying it.

yep, superb gaming weather.

I bought this this week and have had a fair crack. I think I'm up to chapter 4? Playing it on Hard, with Free Aim. And yes, it's pretty hard.
That bit in the sports stadium where he goes in and says "looks like a VIP area, better take a look" took me about 30 attempts!
:eek:

It is very run-n-gun, but it's still really cool. Great graphics, great game-play, and Max is a ****ing legend.

All in all I'm really enjoying it.

God damn I feel like such a pussy all of a sudden. I'm playing on normal with soft lock on:eek:. I just wanted to experience the story first and then try the higher difficulties later on

God damn I feel like such a pussy all of a sudden. I'm playing on normal with soft lock on:eek:. I just wanted to experience the story first and then try the higher difficulties later on

heh, yeah well I figured I have to make the most of the limited time I have, and unlocking the "old school" mode looked pretty cool :)

I'm glad I went the way I did, too, despite how insanely easy it is to die

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not enough people on multiplayer. Why the hell do they then divide the tiny MP3 multiplayer community into free aim and soft lock
modes is beyond me. Remove soft **** from multiplayer please Rockstar.

Good fun though, aiming is a piece of cake and it's a decent enough distraction from Battlefield 3.

Haven't touched the story yet, need to get those golden guns.....

Just up to the Favela. Little disappointed with the plot, pretty easy to figure out who is behind it all / the betrayer. I'm sure my suspicions will be spelled out soon enough.

Overall, a genuinely very good game with a very engaging story. My GF watched through it as a movie basically.

Combat needed to be way more varied however. And WTF was with not giving us grenades.

And its finale song 'Tears' may be the best closing song since Portal. Chuck the headphones and be taken to another place.

I'm currently about a third of the way thru the third and last part. Past the Panama party boat slaying flashback, rescuing Giavana in the "Speed"-style bus ride, past the creepy rundown hotel.

Agree with Mancey. Every 2-3 minute cut-scene is an excuse to start up another series of 30-60 minutes (including 'retries') of fire-fighting. There's far too little of the walking around in creepiness, finding clues or solving puzzles to flesh the story. Due to this imbalance, it makes you not care about or remember anything about the story, it ends up a bunch of yadda yadda in your mind because you have to prepare to engage in constant fire-fighting. A real let-down of what Max Payne classic games are synonymous for.

It's a malaise of gaming. Where any story-driven game always involves guns and ammo/health easter eggs focus. Where the game is built around not only the use of that gun, but the constant and obvious use of that gun. Killing to advance, where each stage inside a level is about a progressive increase in numbers to kill as a 'difficulty' factor. Or, like Max Payne, where what made it famous last-gen, the new-gen version devolves into an all-out shooter.

There's very little imagination out there. I yearn for devs to produce more games that redefine the action/thriller genre. More stealth, more story, more unscripted story or alternate evolving stories based on how the game is played, more ways of story-advancement than using a gun to kill progressively increasing waves of enemies, some other devices as the main/sole inventory thru a game, instead of a 'weapon'. For example, maybe something like the game is about trying to dupe enemies, earning new forms of dialogue and tricks as you progress that can be used against foes.

Example of my disappointment....I'm looking forward to hurrying up and finishing the game, rather than wanting it to go on and on like the old Max Payne's or Uncharted.

Watching thru the game like a movie as funkyzeit mit matt referred to....it's there, but not enough of it, too much sustained fighting from the pov of the game player to get into it. Especially if you're playing on harder skill levels and it takes you like 30-60 minutes to get thru all the killing to return to the story, by then you've lost connect with that story. Then you only get 2-3 minutes of story again before you go back into another 30-60 mins of killing and retrying you keep losing connect with it.

Multiplayer is becoming a real chore. Lobbies are always full of Europeans and Americans which inevitably brings enough lag to become frustrating.

The time between matches is excruciatingly long and you can't select a class between map selection and spawning. Branco towers is Max Payne's version of Nuketown or Metro with the voting system meaning you only play that map with the occasional round at the bus station.

The grind to unlock and rank up weapons is far too linear with simply not enough at your disposal at a low level to really disadvantage new players against the higher ranks.

I'm sure there are more flaws that I can't remember ATM. Think I might decrease the difficulty to finish the second half of the story really quickly and take this one back.

I think Im at the end now. Stuck there. Where you're trapped behind cargo and there's just a billion more armored vest wearing UFE and the main bad dude you've been hunting down firing grenades at you. It's brutal. You can't move otherwise you die straight away. You can't keep gunning as you get swarmed and that prick keeps shooting grenades at you when you're looking elsewhere to keep the swarm at bay.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back